Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2012 Olympics Track event

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 Olympics Track events

Haven't seen a thread about this in here yet. I'm looking forward to watching this, currently working at NY NBC supporting the Olympics and get to watch live the days I work.

Looking forward to seeing Shane Perkins in the match sprints and the Keirin, which Chris Hoy will also be competing.

So, let's discuss, who are your favorites? What are you looking forward to seeing?

Another thing is that the Velodrome is gorgeous...
https://www.gizmag.com/london-2012-ol...icture/133751/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olympicvelodrome.jpg (98.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-01-12, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing Chris Hoy in the keirin. Jason Kenny and Gregory Bauge in the sprint. When the team pursuit is competitive it's really exciting to watch. Unfortunate that the individual pursuit won't be raced.
Old 08-02-12, 08:04 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That BBC doco on Victoria Pendelton put together quite the back story for that competition...
Old 08-02-12, 10:20 AM

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That velodrome is a work of art really. I was watching a program about how everything was built and how both the swimming arena and main stadium can have the grand stands removed at the end of the games to lower the maintenance costs. I think the velodrome is the only facility that is not going to be taken apart (in some way) at the end of the games because of the cycling park it sits on.

And damn the one day I wanted to watch something on the olympics live at work, I forget my head phones! ARG!
Old 08-02-12, 03:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shame that V. Pendleton and Jess Varnish were DQ'd in team sprint today.
Old 08-02-12, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rules are rules though... Was a bit of drama today!
Old 08-02-12, 08:34 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Does anyone have video that shows the exchange area and explains it? I've never ridden a team sprint, so I don't know how it works. Seems like it's pretty hard to do since 2 (3?) teams got DQd today.
Old 08-02-12, 08:54 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
So you have to give up your lead no sooner than 15m before the lap and no later than 15m after the lap? And you have to be up track and out of the way of the other riders by 1m to be considered no longer leading.

At their speeds that's less than a 2 second window. And it's not marked on the track, so you just have to kind of know where it is. The 10m are marked on the floor, but good luck reading those at 40 mph.

Is there even a need for this rule at all? It seems like they'd change there anyway, even if they didn't have to. 3 riders, 3 laps, it just makes sense. Considering how often the best people in the world get DQ'd for this (worlds, Olympics, etc), it seems like maybe it's a little too hard to do. Maybe it should be 30m, or no rule at all?
Old 08-03-12, 01:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
So you have to give up your lead no sooner than 15m before the lap and no later than 15m after the lap? And you have to be up track and out of the way of the other riders by 1m to be considered no longer leading.

At their speeds that's less than a 2 second window. And it's not marked on the track, so you just have to kind of know where it is. The 10m are marked on the floor, but good luck reading those at 40 mph.

Is there even a need for this rule at all? It seems like they'd change there anyway, even if they didn't have to. 3 riders, 3 laps, it just makes sense. Considering how often the best people in the world get DQ'd for this (worlds, Olympics, etc), it seems like maybe it's a little too hard to do. Maybe it should be 30m, or no rule at all?
Is that why both the British and Chinese teams were penalized ?

I've been looking everywhere for an explanation of what happened, and your post is the first thing I've read with any details of what happened.

It would be nice if a detailed explanation had been given during the broadcast.

Mike
Old 08-03-12, 05:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstram
Is that why both the British and Chinese teams were penalized ?

I've been looking everywhere for an explanation of what happened, and your post is the first thing I've read with any details of what happened.

It would be nice if a detailed explanation had been given during the broadcast.

Mike
In both cases the second rider came through too soon. No complaints as far as the Brits are concerned, Pendleton pretty much accepted afterwards that she had gone too early. The slow-mo on the Chinese is equivocal, though, it was marginal at best. I think they are justified in feeling robbed.

Looking at the form the British team seems to be in, we're in for an interesting few days. How many world records were broken last night? Four? Five?
Old 08-03-12, 07:36 AM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

No, this isn't the case. That statement is about the lead rider leaving the sprinters lane in the exchange zone.

Basically, there are 2 rules in play here:

1) The lead rider MUST exit the sprinter's lane in the exchange zone, not before and not after. (Varnish did not break this rule)

2) The following rider cannot pass the lead rider until AFTER they pass the pursuit (start/finish) line.

Rule #2 is the rule that was broken.

There is video showing Pendleton (#2 rider) passing the pursuit line before Varnish (#1 rider). It's a fraction of a second before, but it was clear as day on the replay. That's why they didn't contest it. It was a fair call.

Pendleton actually completed lap 1 faster than Varnish.

Originally Posted by chasm54
In both cases the second rider came through too soon. No complaints as far as the Brits are concerned, Pendleton pretty much accepted afterwards that she had gone too early. The slow-mo on the Chinese is equivocal, though, it was marginal at best. I think they are justified in feeling robbed.

Looking at the form the British team seems to be in, we're in for an interesting few days. How many world records were broken last night? Four? Five?
+1
Old 08-03-12, 10:00 AM
Elitist

By the way, they were both at fault, as Pendleton states in an interview afterwards.

Basically:
- Varnish should have stayed on the gas till she passed the pursuit line.
- Pendleton should have held back a touch.

Pendleton is probably riding faster than ever. A nice problem to have. Too bad that it caused this infraction.
Old 08-03-12, 01:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

haha, yikes.
Old 08-03-12, 02:28 PM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

Pendleton is probably riding faster than ever. A nice problem to have. Too bad that it caused this infraction.
Yeah, being too fast is kind of a nice problem to have, if you have to have a problem. With all of that anxiety and adrenaline in your system, it is hard not to let loose sometimes...
Old 08-03-12, 03:03 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by chas58
Yeah, being too fast is kind of a nice problem to have, if you have to have a problem. With all of that anxiety and adrenaline in your system, it is hard not to let loose sometimes...
I just learned that she won the Keirin in impressive fashion. All of her teammates are tweeting about how she's flying right now.

I'm headed home now to try and find video of it.
Old 08-03-12, 03:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I just learned that she won the Keirin in impressive fashion. All of her teammates are tweeting about how she's flying right now.

I'm headed home now to try and find video of it.
She was imperious. As were the mens pursuit team. The GB track squad appear to be in ludicrously good form, I'm amazed. Thought they would struggle to repeat their Beijing performance.
Old 08-04-12, 11:25 AM
Coppista

Bikes: Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[h=1]Women's Team Pursuit[/h]wow, bested their own world record set only yesterday... phantastic effort and a pure joy to watch. Phenomenal !!!
Old 08-04-12, 01:05 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhinelander
Women's Team Pursuit

wow, bested their own world record set only yesterday... phantastic effort and a pure joy to watch. Phenomenal !!!
They've broken the world record in every one of their last six competitive races. Astonishing.
Old 08-04-12, 03:38 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by chasm54
She was imperious. As were the mens pursuit team. The GB track squad appear to be in ludicrously good form, I'm amazed. Thought they would struggle to repeat their Beijing performance.
I watched it last night. Wow.

It also seemed like Meares didn't contest it at all. Yeah, she attacked early, but it was a soft attack. She never attacked (or defended) hard later. It was like her job was to set the pace then not contest the sprint. Notice how at the end every woman got out of the saddle to reaccelerate...except Meares.
Old 08-04-12, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Carleton, can you post a link to the vid? Having trouble finding anything. And thanks again for last week.
Old 08-04-12, 08:42 PM
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by McRussellPants

haha, yikes.
Yeah, but that's Ross Edgar up there. Soaking wet with socks stuffed into his pockets he weighs less than one of those plates.
Old 08-04-12, 11:49 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Yeah, but that's Ross Edgar up there. Soaking wet with socks stuffed into his pockets he weighs less than one of those plates.
According to Hoy, who commented when this pic went viral, the weight was 631 kg and he did five reps. "I could have squeezed out another rep but Ross was laughing at me".
Old 08-05-12, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USA Women Silver Medal in Team Pursuit...what a surprise!
Old 08-05-12, 12:05 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kato7997
USA Women Silver Medal in Team Pursuit...what a surprise!
Lots of credit to Sarah Hammer, taking monster turns and pacing it to keep the team together. Impressive.
Old 08-05-12, 05:26 PM
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Carleton, can you post a link to the vid? Having trouble finding anything. And thanks again for last week.
I watched it on the BBC website. I can't find the link anymore. I'll keep looking and report back when I find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.