Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur set up.not the whole process justone thing I forgot

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-03-12, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everything is setup right because I've done it before,but forgotten one thing.I just want to know which cogs do you use when tighteneing the derailleur bolt.I've been using the small ring at the front and bid one at the back,so it's easy to get chain gap right.
Is this correct.
Allso,you do the front before the rear derailleur,but park tool says do the rear first?but that seems more of a pain.
Old 08-03-12, 08:32 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your question is extremely unclear.

Which "derailleur bolt" are you talking about? If you mean the cable fixing bolt on the front derailleur, then it will probably get your closest if you are in the small chainring and big cog when you fasten the cable.
Old 08-03-12, 08:33 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I always adjust the rear derailleur first because then I can more easily shift across the rear cassette repeatedly while I'm setting up the front.

If, by tightening the derailleur bolt, you're talking about the bolt that holds the derailleur onto the seatpost, I prefer to use the big front ring and small rear cog. That's the only way I can see to set the height. New Shimano front derailleurs even come with a little plastic block that holds the derailleur in that position and makes it easier to do.
Old 08-03-12, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
Your question is extremely unclear.

Which "derailleur bolt" are you talking about? If you mean the cable fixing bolt on the front derailleur, then it will probably get your closest if you are in the small chainring and big cog when you fasten the cable.
Yes,the bolt that holds the cable.You saying I should tighten it in the big front ring and small rear cog?
Oh,I've been using the big cog on the rear and small front.
Old 08-03-12, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
might be better if I did a search
Old 08-03-12, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by brundle_fly
Yes,the bolt that holds the cable.You saying I should tighten it in the big front ring and small rear cog?
Oh,I've been using the big cog on the rear and small front.
The bolt that holds the cable can only be tightened when you're on the small front chainring. Otherwise it won't shift down.
Old 08-03-12, 08:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes cheers,just read i was doing it right.
Seems like my sti's are on their way out though,cos the click is getting soft and won't shift from big to small

biketutor.com

"Shifting Adjustments
Now that both limit screws are set up, shift back to the largest sprocket in the rear, and the smallest in the front. Make sure your front shifter is in the lowest gear position, and pull the shift cable to eliminate any extra slack, before tightening the cable bolt."
Old 08-03-12, 09:23 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You almost have to take the slack out of the cable with the derailleurs in the most relaxed positions so big rear cog (unless you have one of the rare Rapid Rise rds) and small chainring are correct.

The reason for doing the rear first is you want to be able to shift all the way across the cassette to set the inner and outer limit screws for the front derailleur to have proper chain clearance.
Old 08-03-12, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much for that.Now I have encountered another problem.I hadbeen using a piece of wood to hold the font derailleur forward while I take up the slack with pliers and tighten the bolt.The only thing is,the pressure has dented the frame how do you do all 3 at once? then when you think it's 2mm clear from the chain,I will the wood out and it rubs the chain slightly?
Old 08-03-12, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A miracle has just happened thanks to hillrider.You keep it in the slackest position so u don't have to hold the derailleur forwards.I don't believe I've been doing it wrong for about 6 years.Luckily the dent is quite small
Old 08-03-12, 02:24 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by brundle_fly
A miracle has just happened thanks to hillrider.You keep it in the slackest position so u don't have to hold the derailleur forwards.I don't believe I've been doing it wrong for about 6 years.Luckily the dent is quite small
Yeah, and I also made a typo concerning the rear derailleur set up. The most relaxed position in back is over the smallest cog, not the largest, for most common rear derailleurs. BTW, be sure the shifters are also in the most relaxed position before tightening the cable.