Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Old 03-21-07, 11:02 PM
I like chrome.

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those wheels look big.
Old 03-22-07, 11:30 AM

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
I'm here to pump you up!!!
Stop being such a girlyman and carry a full sized Zefal or Topeak frame pump. Nothing pumps as well, other than a floor pump or one that runs on electricity. You can also use one to wack dogs should that be neccessary. A tiny pump is almost as useless as no pump! And.......don't start whining about how much extra weight you'll be carrying! Don't eat that extra cookie and stop drinking so many mochas!
hahaha - OK! wasn't actually planning on carrying the pump every day but didnt want one too bulky to fit in my bag for those times I wanted to. As you may know (this being the Swift folder thread) a conventional frame pump does not fit the Swift frame. So it's not about weight... heck just hoist my courier bag and you'll see..

I do plan to buy a floor pump for home use those few times when my shop compressor isn't an option.

PS - whack MY dog with a pump you may lose your arm at the elbow. He's got jaws like a crocodile. If you see him coming I urge ya to just start spinning those pedals as hard as you can.
Old 03-22-07, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Donkey Hodie
those wheels look big.
That bike has the larger 451(?) mm rims and tires wedged into it. Look closely at the fork Y, it's been clearance cut to fit them.
Old 03-22-07, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh Swift Fixie Jedi Masters -

Peter Riech wrote me back... " I'd go with a Sugino 103mm bb and R48 crankset when the time
comes."

Others here have recommended a 107mm BB, so can someone clarify why these might differ?

Is an R48 crankset a Sugino product, or is that a generic size specification?

Thanks for kind answers to stupid questions.
Old 03-22-07, 12:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hulagun
hahaha - OK! wasn't actually planning on carrying the pump every day but didnt want one too bulky to fit in my bag for those times I wanted to. As you may know (this being the Swift folder thread) a conventional frame pump does not fit the Swift frame. So it's not about weight... heck just hoist my courier bag and you'll see..

I do plan to buy a floor pump for home use those few times when my shop compressor isn't an option.

PS - whack MY dog with a pump you may lose your arm at the elbow. He's got jaws like a crocodile. If you see him coming I urge ya to just start spinning those pedals as hard as you can.
Yea......thats the one flaw with the otherwise perfect Swift design but what about putting a pump on top of the top (and only) tube? It seems the only place long enough. I purchased a Blackburn telescoping pump for my recumbent and it mounts on waterbottle mounts and seems fairly easy to get my 26x1.4" rear tire pumped plus its fairly compact when not opened up. I am probably going to be confronting this subject myself when I get my steel Swift. Still looking at a couple of options though......Bike Friday or a Swift, I go back and forth. Then a fine Raleigh20 became available to me that I can customize so I am perplexed to say the least. I've looked at several bikes and test rode a couple so I am convinced the folding 20" wheel format is both practical and a good ride.
Old 03-22-07, 12:11 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That bike has the larger 451(?) mm rims and tires wedged into it
Specs say thus:
Originally Posted by bikecult site specs
...'requiring same-size wheels, minimum diameter 55 centimeters (22-inches)
So bigger even than 451s... Snug fit eh?
Old 03-22-07, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Here's a pump mounted on my bike pictured on the Xootr Site... I used a Minoura clamp... also, my dog Fred doesn't much care for being whacked either...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FredeMail2.jpg (59.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-22-07, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I'm crazy about my dawg. Here's a shot of him... no that's not my rig he's riding in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
notmyrover.jpg (98.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-23-07, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took two REI 12" velcro straps and attached my Peak Masterblaster to the backside of the seat tube. It won't drop through--the bottom bracket provides just enough lip to assure that when the straps are snug. It's out of the way and doesn't affect the fold.
Old 03-23-07, 08:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're bigger than 451. I'm running 451's on my Swift and I have plenty of clearance
Old 03-24-07, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flea
I took two REI 12" velcro straps and attached my Peak Masterblaster to the backside of the seat tube. It won't drop through--the bottom bracket provides just enough lip to assure that when the straps are snug. It's out of the way and doesn't affect the fold.
Nice. Velcro is the wonder tool of the century! You mean the seat post below the fold break, right?

I have been commuting on my Swift. So far so good! But it's a bit disheartening when a crusty guy with holes in his pants passes me and pulls away on a Wal Mart mountain bike. I'm pedaling along pretty good in a high or highest gear too. Are the 20" wheel bikes just less capable of top speed? I expected it would be able to at least keep up with 26" wheel bikes.

Maybe I need to pedal faster... or smoke more meth...
Old 03-24-07, 10:41 AM
All ur bike r belong Enki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These Nitto B-105 drop bars are neato...

Old 03-24-07, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james_swift
These Nitto B-105 drop bars are neato...

James make up your mind!

I see you still have grips and the brake lever mounted up high.

Hey tech question for ya-
if a 103mm BB or a 107mm BB will both work to put my Swifts Surly hub fixie chainline within 1 mm L or R of perfect center alignment, then a 105mm will get it centered perfectly? Hmm... searching web... looks like the rub is finding a 105mm BB that is affordable. Ah so.

Looks like I'll be shimming something.

My rims and Surly hubs are ordered. I plan to replace my BB when I fit the new wheels. Any reason to replace the crankset at the same time? The stock Xootr crankset and chainring seem nice enough.
Old 03-24-07, 04:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
James make up your mind!

I see you still have grips and the brake lever mounted up high.

Hey tech question for ya-
if a 103mm BB or a 107mm BB will both work to put my Swifts Surly hub fixie chainline within 1 mm L or R of perfect center alignment, then a 105mm will get it centered perfectly? Hmm... searching web... looks like the rub is finding a 105mm BB that is affordable. Ah so.

Looks like I'll be shimming something.

My rims and Surly hubs are ordered. I plan to replace my BB when I fit the new wheels. Any reason to replace the crankset at the same time? The stock Xootr crankset and chainring seem nice enough.
I can't help myself...it's so dang easy to trick-out the Swift with different handlebar configurations.

The thing about BBs...you gotta beware of the assymetrical ones...you know, where a 107mm is actually a 105 with 2mm added to the non-drive side. For example, a 107mm assymetrical BB is the same length drive-side as a 105mm. So you're not losing spindle length on the side that counts. You get the idea. Search the web for specs on your particular BB of choice.

Plan on ending-up with several BB's until you find the one that brings joy. The golden chainline, I've found, is sometimes a hit-or-miss process.

So I assume you got the 130mm Surly NewRoad flip-flop hub with the 47.5mm chainline? Where did you order your wheelset from? I would work with the stock Tracer crankset for now, put some mileage in and get your money's worth out of it, then upgrade to a sweet Sugino set (which is what I plan to do).

Here is an affordable BB in to use until you upgrade to a Sugino crank/BB.
Old 03-24-07, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Search the web for specs on your particular BB of choice. Plan on ending-up with several BB's until you find the one that brings joy. The golden chainline, I've found, is sometimes a hit-or-miss process.... So I assume you got the 130mm Surly NewRoad flip-flop hub with the 47.5mm chainline?
Well, you've confused me. I'm not looking at asymmetrical BB's, just the Sugino RD-48 and the Shimano 107mm UN series options. I know the width of my rear forks (132.5). Once my Surly shows up I'll know the hubs actual chain line measurement. Hopefully it's between 47-49mm, which I can get close to matching with a 103 BB or a 107 BB.... I think?

Once I know the actual chain line - shouldnt I be able to get the BB correct on the first try?

Where did you order your wheelset from?
I don't know where the parts are coming from. My buddy who is a careful hobbyist wheel builder (and a fixed gear racer) is ordering the parts thru a friend's shop... I just asked for a Surly 130mm 32h flip-flop in polished finish, and a pair of Sun CR-18s also in polished. He'll build my wheels with stainless spokes. He has no 406 wheel experience but I totally trust him to get it right.

Last edited by hulagun; 03-25-07 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 07:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, you've confused me. I'm not looking at asymmetrical BB's, just the Sugino RD-48 and the Shimano 107mm UN series options.

Once I know the actual chain line - shouldnt I be able to get the BB correct on the first try?
I only put that info out there 'cuz I was lazy to do the research. Here's the actual dirt on the Shimano UN-series:

103mm: symmetrical
107mm: symmetrical
110mm: asymmetrical, non-drive side 3mm longer
Old 03-25-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only put that info out there 'cuz I was lazy to do the research. Here's the actual dirt on the Shimano UN-series:
103mm: symmetrical
107mm: symmetrical
110mm: asymmetrical, non-drive side 3mm longer
ah I wondered what you were up to.

hey I forget to mention that based on your advice (IIRC) I asked for a Dura Ace or other quieter 14T 3/32" cog instead of the Surly cog.

Realizing I havent broken any new ground here but am standing in the footprints of others, my thanks to you and all who are being so helpful.
Old 03-25-07, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pumps and Locks

I went and swapped my Crank Brothers Mini Pro pump for the Topeak Road Morph G. It was about $12 more but wow what a difference. I easily pumped the tires right up to 90 lbs. The gauge is a little vague and harder to read but everything else is GREAT. It even comes with a clamp that looks like it could be made to work on the Swift. If nothing else the clamp can be flipped around and used as removable mount (on any 22mm tubing, ie handlebars) for some oddball custom accessory (like an iPod... or a GPS...).

I also picked up an OnGuard brand U-lock. The small version, so I could carry it in my hip pocket or tucked into my belt. It's size is a compromise. It is barely big enough to use on the aluminum Swifts. To lock it to parking meters it has to go thru the rear stays or around the vertical frame seat tube. It won't fit around the main spar and a parking meter post both at the same time. Back on the plus side, it came with 5 keys and is coated in thick rubber.
Old 03-25-07, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar sells their cartridge square taper BB from time to time for ~$5-10. Not right now though.. They've had a recent lack of inexpensive parts in many categories.
Old 03-25-07, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Velcro is the wonder tool of the century! You mean the seat post below the fold break, right?

I have been commuting on my Swift. So far so good! But it's a bit disheartening when a crusty guy with holes in his pants passes me and pulls away on a Wal Mart mountain bike. I'm pedaling along pretty good in a high or highest gear too. Are the 20" wheel bikes just less capable of top speed? I expected it would be able to at least keep up with 26" wheel bikes.

Maybe I need to pedal faster... or smoke more meth...
You might be surprised that some of those old fat guys riding walmart bikes are fast for several reasons:
1. Its their only transportation so they ride alot!
2. They have big strong legs and are therefore fast!
3. They might be what is known as a "sleeper" (a fast retired athelete) riding a cheap bike.
4. They are just a naturally fast rider.
5. You are not pedaling hard enough.
6. You may have been tired.
7. He only had been riding for a short time and was rested.

In order to ride fast, you have to ride fast alot!

Remember its not about the bike!
Old 03-25-07, 04:54 PM
too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... It is barely big enough to use on the aluminum Swifts. ...
You can always fold, then lock. Makes a much less attractive target.
Old 03-26-07, 01:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charles vail
You might be surprised that some of those old fat guys riding walmart bikes are fast for several reasons: SNIP
I got a big kick out of your reply, CV!
but gotta point out uh...that the dumpster diver who passed me was not that old or that fat. But neither am I...

Some reasons why my Swift may not be as fast as I hoped:
6) 100 psi tires only pumped up halfway to ease posterior pain
5) carnitas super burrito from lunch compressing my diaphragm so can't fully utilize lungs
4) knees chanting "40 is NOT the new 30" to help keep wrists awake
3) inverse saddle time to couch time ratio
2) courier bag holding 36 pounds of bike lock, allen wrenches, unread books and removed clothing
1) huge grin on rider's face is highly non-aerodynamic
Old 03-26-07, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And inexpensive.

Yes, below the fold break. The total length of the pump is about a 1/4 inch less than the distance between the break quick release to the top of the bottom bracket. It's completely out of the way.
Old 03-26-07, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
south of the boarder

I got a big kick out of your reply, CV!
but gotta point out uh...that the dumpster diver who passed me was not that old or that fat. But neither am I...

Some reasons why my Swift may not be as fast as I hoped:
6) 100 psi tires only pumped up halfway to ease posterior pain
5) carnitas super burrito from lunch compressing my diaphragm so can't fully utilize lungs
4) knees chanting "40 is NOT the new 30" to help keep wrists awake
3) inverse saddle time to couch time ratio
2) courier bag holding 36 pounds of bike lock, allen wrenches, unread books and removed clothing
1) huge grin on rider's face is highly non-aerodynamic
Thats awsome, especially the burrito comment!
Old 04-02-07, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour and Specialized Rockhopper comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yay! I get to join the family.

As a birthday gift, my wife went ahead and ordered me a silver xootr swift (xxl) It should be here early next week. I'll be counting the days, that's for sure. I plan on riding it in stock form for a while, but upgrades/additions will come eventually. Besides a saddle swap, is there anything you all would recommend changing early on?

As for proposed upgrades in the future, this is what I had in mind.
Drop bars
Sti brifter for the 105 or ultegra rr derailer
New wheels built up w/ fewer spokes.
Higher psi tires w/ light tubes.
Maybe a new chainring.

Well, my imagination is getting the best of me right now. I still have to get the bike first. I hope to see a big brown truck pull up in the next week. Until then, I will scan over this thread, again. And thank you all for giving such rave reviews on this bike. Without them I may not have ever considered the purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.