Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 03:27 PM
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using it on my bike. Yes, you have to go to the limits, then tighten it as much as possible. I am not using it for the top loading aspect, more as a simple way to add my metro bag. I do like it as it allows me to shed 3 lbs. for the weekend rides.
Old 04-27-07, 05:31 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kb5ql
I am using it on my bike. Yes, you have to go to the limits, then tighten it as much as possible. I am not using it for the top loading aspect, more as a simple way to add my metro bag. I do like it as it allows me to shed 3 lbs. for the weekend rides.
Thanks. I am using a rack top bag with fold out panniers on it; just to carry waterproofs (always needed here in the UK!) and other bits for a day ride. Like all things Swiss, it's a quality product but I was concerned that "stretching" it to fit around the Swift's seat tube may put a strain on it and the tube itself. It looks OK though.
Old 05-01-07, 02:31 AM

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james_swift
My Surly fixed hub is 130mm. On my silver Swift with 132.5mm rear spacing, I put 1x1mm spacer on each side of the hub axle. On my blue Swift with 135mm rear spacing, I put 2x1mm spacers on each side of the axle. The advantage of a solid axle is you have that extra room to play with spacers. So long as you have equal spacers on each side of the axle, the chainline will go relatively unchanged. An extra 1mm spacer on the non-drive side will push the chainline .5mm outwards, and vice-versa.
Don't shoot me for asking dumb questions...but, if you get both chain rings within 1mm of true "chainline" alignment, and they sit some 200mm (of free chain) apart... isnt that something like under .4 % variance? I dont see how this hurts the chain.... measurably. I mean chains are designed to survive slight misalignment... that's what makes them so great!

Just wondering.
Old 05-01-07, 09:51 AM
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Chain alignment on fixies can be out of line by as much as 3mm and not affect the ride. Rule of thumb, though, is always to get them as close to centered as possible (for efficiency, etc.). Centered chainlines are also more aesthetically pleasing, esp. if you post pics.
Old 05-07-07, 11:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey wavshrdr, i've been reading this forum and what a beautiful bike man. it is jaw dropping. i really want to mimic your tire and seat set up.

two questions: are you running the BA's on full pressure? also, how do you connect the telescopic seatpost to a thudbuster?

again, beauty of a bike.
Old 05-08-07, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a 10 day tour around Southern Japan on my Swift. I bought the Swift specifically for this trip, which was to include riding one way to Kumamoto and then returning by bus to Miyazaki where I live. In total I spent 8 days riding of which 3 days were really only half days, less than 3 1/2 hours riding time.

The bike did very well with the biggest problem I had being the chain coming off the chainring several times each day. A few days before the ride began I changed the chainset to a Campy ten speed and I think the bevels on the chainring contributed to the problem. This didn’t happen with the Tru Vativ chainset I borrowed off my Dahon when I originally built the bike.

In all I did 420 miles with 17,000’ of climbing the longest day was the last one, 115 miles. My gf met me for a few days in Kumamoto and when it was time to leave I folded the Swift up and put it on the bus so that we could go to the airport together. After seeing her off I rode for a few hours until finding a place to camp. I was having so much fun I decided to ride home instead of take the bus. But at least I did get to take advantage of the fold once on the trip and justify buying it.

I carried 25 pounds of camping gear, clothes and tools most of it was carried in a daypack strapped to a rear rack. About 8 pounds were carried in a handlebar bag. The bike handled pretty well in spite of the weight. I did notice some twitchiness because of the heavy handlebar bag and next time I’ll do something to get the weight lower on the front. This was my first loaded tour or any kind of tour for that matter and the Swift helped to make it a great trip.
Old 05-09-07, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nihonric
I carried 25 pounds of camping gear, clothes and tools most of it was carried in a daypack strapped to a rear rack. About 8 pounds were carried in a handlebar bag. The bike handled pretty well in spite of the weight. I did notice some twitchiness because of the heavy handlebar bag and next time I’ll do something to get the weight lower on the front. This was my first loaded tour or any kind of tour for that matter and the Swift helped to make it a great trip.
nihonric, that sounds great!

I'm really interested because I'd like to set up my Xootr Swift to carry cargo rather put it in a messenger bag on my back.

What sort of rear rack did you use? Was it anchored to the seat post, the seat post clamp, the seat stays?

In any case, congratulations on your tour!

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 05-09-07, 07:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rack I used was this one <https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/20094.html> from Rivendell made by Nitto. It bolted on with very little bending/modifying. I attached my rear fender to it with zip ties and it all worked fine. At first I mounted the rack as low as possible thinking lower center of gravity was better but later I bent the horizontal rods upward which raised the rack and left a space between the fender and rack. In this space I attached my tent with a strap leaving more room in the daypack.

I rode the bike today after putting a different chainset on it and couldn't get the chain to come off even though I was trying. The problem was the Campy chainset.
Old 05-10-07, 10:03 AM
too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nihonric, by "chainset" do you mean chain ring, chain, and cassette, or just chain and chainring?
Old 05-10-07, 11:25 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone got any news on the new steel Swifts? I emailed Peter but haven't heard back and it's spring so...

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 05-10-07, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By "chainset" I mean the chainring and crank arms. I installed and old Sugino with 52 teeth and the chain hasn't come off since using it. I wish I had it for the trip because I cringed every time I changed gears.
Old 05-12-07, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonathanG
I'm really interested because I'd like to set up my Xootr Swift to carry cargo rather put it in a messenger bag on my back.
Unless you're dead set on having a rear rack, a front rack works really well and doesn't interfere with the fold as much as a rear rack.

Some pics & text about my front rack set up here: https://yangmusa.blogspot.com/ A bit further down, you'll see that sadly the gorgeous Nitto front rack doesn't fit.. But the Nashbar one was a steal, on sale at $10 and still going strong after a year of abuse.

Magnus
Old 05-12-07, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks yangmusa,

I really like that set up and would like to try it for my commute. How stable are packages bungied to the front rack? Do you think it would work for soft packages, like a dry bag filled with clothes and lunch?

I realize the cost of an experiment -- the rack is still $9.99 at Nashbar -- isn't too high, but any advice would be appreciated!

Jonathan
Old 05-14-07, 10:41 AM
Live to ride

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone seen this misalignment? Rear wheel is slightly tilted to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0949.jpg (84.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN0951.jpg (84.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 05-14-07, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonathanG
I really like that set up and would like to try it for my commute. How stable are packages bungied to the front rack? Do you think it would work for soft packages, like a dry bag filled with clothes and lunch?
Hey Jonathan,

I don't always use the panniers in the pictures. I've often bungeed large & small loads on the front, and found it works fine. For smaller/soft loads, I usually just use a bungee front to back. For bigger loads I generally add a strap going left to right also. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me when I had a 20 lb turkey on the front for big family thanksgiving! (Mind you, for loads that heavy it has a noticeable effect on the handling. I wouldn't say dangerous, but a little heavier & slower).

If you look closely at the picture taken from the side, you'll see that I've mounted a bottle cage on the front of the stem. This doubles as a very convenient hook for my laptop case - it rests on the rack and the handle goes over the bottle cage. I secure it with a bungee, but it would probably stay on without.

cheers, Magnus
Old 05-14-07, 02:11 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For U.K. readers; if you can track down the May edition of "Cycling World" magazine you will find my Xootr Swift on the front cover with an article about the bike inside. It may add to the the number of "Swifters" over here!
Old 05-14-07, 04:35 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is it the wheel, or perhaps the frame hinge points? The latter would also have this effect when folded, but otherwise would be fine.
Old 05-14-07, 07:45 PM
Live to ride

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Is it the wheel, or perhaps the frame hinge points? The latter would also have this effect when folded, but otherwise would be fine.
Can people fold their Alu swift and tell me if their seatpost is aligned with the rear wheel? Thanks.
Old 05-15-07, 06:49 PM

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spotted a stylish gal riding a blue Xootr today at the Ferry Building in SF. Went by too quick to get a good look and see if it had any mods. She was dodging thru the crowd of pedestrians in what *I thought* was a pedestrian only area.

Must have been in a hurry to get to Slanted Door for lunch... or maybe she stole the bike.

I'm off the bike for a couple weeks while I get my knee checked out. Apparently I have a mild Baker's Cyst. And before anyone blames the bike, my leg was a bit sore before I got the new Swift.... however I am wondering if the Power Straps on my Swift contributed. I really tend to twist my legs to lock my feet in.

Not hijacking the thread, I'm just excited to see another Xootr in my neighborhood.
Old 05-15-07, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rack I used was this one <https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/20094.html> from Rivendell made by Nitto. It bolted on with very little bending/modifying.
Ok, stupid question, perhaps. Being more of a newbie to all of this I can't picture how you attached this-- Could you post a picture? Looking at the photo at the above site it looks like the upper supports screw into braze-ons, which my Swift doesn't have. So how did you attach it?

Thanks
Old 05-16-07, 12:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attached the upper rack mounts to the lower seat tube quick release. It was very simple and I haven't had any problems. I'll try to post some photos in the future.
Old 05-16-07, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hulagun
Spotted a stylish gal riding a blue Xootr today at the Ferry Building in SF. Went by too quick to get a good look and see if it had any mods.
Spotted a stylish gal, chased her down to check out her bike.

You gotta love Bike Forums.
Old 05-16-07, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hulagun
Spotted a stylish gal riding a blue Xootr today at the Ferry Building in SF. Went by too quick to get a good look and see if it had any mods.
The bike or the gal?
Old 05-16-07, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attached the upper rack mounts to the lower seat tube quick release. It was very simple and I haven't had any problems. I'll try to post some photos in the future.
Interesting, installed within the qr itself then. Nice. I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 05-16-07, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the stock QR worked. Here's a photo
https://www.pbase.com/li_cha/image/78909918
I put a rack on the front as well.
https://www.pbase.com/li_cha/image/78910482
It took some bending to get it to work and I had to make a new straddle cable for the front brake because the one that came with the brake was too short. It takes more force on the lever now but it's not too terrible.

Last edited by nihonric; 05-16-07 at 09:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.