Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Custom vs. Stock Gain

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Custom vs. Stock Gain

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 09:49 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom vs. Stock Gain

I own a Reynolds steel frame on my Jamis Aurora Elite that fits pretty well on my touring bike and I mostly love it. Yet as I put on over 70 miles, I am aware that the sizing is not a perfect match -- although not too bad -- so I was a bit more curious about what people think about spending the extra dough to get a custom made steel frame that is exactly my size. What sorts of advantages do you think I'd see/get? I mean off the top, I'm thinking a very, very good fitting bike would be more comfortable in the saddle over the long run, less wear and tear on my body, and who knows -- perhaps even a performance gain.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Did switching over to a custom sized bike frame make a notice-able difference? Any down side other than price?
Old 08-06-12, 06:50 AM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Toddles- Custom bikes are usually seen as a fit/comfort benefit. Are you able to get a comfy position on the current bike without being so far in it's adjustment range as to effect handling (like the seat all the way back on it's rails or a super short/high stem)? If so then the custom bike will not improve the fit /handling much. How about the braze ons? Do you wish that they could be better placed or are some missing that you'd like to have (like double eyelets, pump pegs or cable adjusters)? Is there an issue with the handling when fully loaded (like shimmy)? How about tire width/fender clearances? What about travel ease, S&S couplers?

Don't expect a performance gain with a touring bike, other then load capicity or fit. But ease of use and set up might be better depending. Andy.
Old 08-06-12, 12:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My one-off touring bike is pretty non standard to handle the pannier load
without undesired flexing.. but it weighs more in the process..