Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1973 Raleigh Sports - Good deal?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-12-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been browsing around for a dedicated commuter bike lately. Not wanting to spend a lot but have been keeping my eyes on something like a Globe Daily.

Saw this Raleigh Sport posted today and it's pretty slick looking. But, I'm not sure if the price is right for it or whether or not the parts are good? Also seems to be missing a rear brake. Not sure if the front one is original or not.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-12, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I think it is a pretty clean looking bike for its age I think it has a rear coaster brake that you can just barely see in the photo, so it isn't missing the brake. Is it worth what they are asking? If everything is working then I would try and talk him down just a little bit.
Old 08-12-12, 09:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,565 Times in 3,764 Posts
It's not missing a rear brake. It is a coaster brake 3 speed.

Old 08-12-12, 09:12 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Lots of people will tell you yes, go for it...so I'll give you an opposing view.

There are two ways to judge a bike's value - it's value on the market and its value as a bike. On both counts - no, it's not worth it in my opinion.

In my area, a good bike selling area, Raleigh Sports top out at $200 with leather Brooks saddles, dyohubs, and even a bag. The desirable ones - the 40s - 50s ones - are hard to sell for $200. I think that's over priced by $100, though some folks here think they sell for more. That has not been my experience and they sit on Craigslist for anything over $150. This one doesn't even have a generator hub.

As a bike to ride, I also don't like it. It's needlessly heavy, has steel rims, crappy brakes...I don't think there's anything good about these bikes...other than durability. Lots of folks here like them...I don't understand it. You'd be much better off with a vintage MTB from a riding standpoint. By Raleigh 3 speed standards, I think that's pretty mediocre.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 08-12-12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, interesting. Reason I mentioned it is this catalog photo of the 1973 Sports has a rear rim brake.

Old 08-12-12, 09:29 PM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
It's a clean bike, but may not be original. It appears to have the cable braze ons for the rear rim brake on the horizontal tube, unless they are for a frame mounted pump. But I believe the brochure shows cable clamps?

Take it for a test ride. If you like it, make a deal. After a month, if you don't like it, resell it. The most out of pocket if you keep it clean might be $30-$50.

There is a heck of a deal on a Single Speed EDDIE MERCKX in Tulsa.
Old 08-13-12, 07:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KonAaron Snake: Appreciate the opposing view! It's nice to get viewpoints from people that know far more than I do to help put it in perspective.

I'm unable to test ride it without making an hour drive so I wanted to make sure the price wasn't a ripoff before I even wasted my time. The item was listed at $200 "FIRM" so I doubt he'd go down much.
Old 08-13-12, 09:19 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kwjohns
Ah, interesting. Reason I mentioned it is this catalog photo of the 1973 Sports has a rear rim brake.

Note the text--it can come with the S3C hub as an option. The S3C is a coaster brake hub.

Originally Posted by oddjob2
It's a clean bike, but may not be original. It appears to have the cable braze ons for the rear rim brake on the horizontal tube, unless they are for a frame mounted pump. But I believe the brochure shows cable clamps?

Take it for a test ride. If you like it, make a deal. After a month, if you don't like it, resell it. The most out of pocket if you keep it clean might be $30-$50.

There is a heck of a deal on a Single Speed EDDIE MERCKX in Tulsa.
The cable braze ons just came with the frame. Raleigh literally would make a pile of frames, then assemble them into bikes. They wouldn't bother not putting the braze ons on a bike because it was going to have a coaster hub.

Besides, if you don't like the coaster hub, you can put a rim brake on easily and replace the rear wheel with a different Raleigh rear wheel.

I have no idea how hot the market is in Tulsa but the price seems a touch high for a '70s Raleigh Sport, even a clean one. If it were a 23" frame the seller could probably get $200 here, but even that might be a stretch.
Old 08-13-12, 01:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In less than a year I am now the proud owner of 2 Sports, a '72 and a '73. My '73 has a similar decal to the one you have pictured, but does not have a coaster brake. It does have braze-ons for the rear brake cable. The '72 has a coaster brake and no braze-ons for a rear brake cable. Someone did take the time to not apply them on mine. It does have pump pegs that are braze ons.

I thought I would hate the coaster brake. After riding both options in town and a variety of weather conditions I have come to appreciate the value of a coaster brake. Wet rims aren't a stopping hazzard with it.

As for cost and value.... I paid more than $200 for one of my Sports. Cost was high, but it is pristine. It did come with a Brooks saddle, the original frame pump, and the seat bag with the original owners manual. I have never regretted the purchase even thought the cost was high and I don't value it as much. The other Sports, my favorite, was given to me by a forum member. It also has a beautiful Brooks saddle. My only cost associated with that one was for tires and some Proofhide for the saddle. That gift Sports is priceless to me and will never leave here. I value it greatly.

Rear racks aren't very expensive and you can add modern front and rear lighting for visibility and safety. I think I paid $15 for a NOS Pletscher rack and a few dollars for Knog type lights that can wrap around the bars and front fork. You can add a flasher to the rear rack. All in all, I think you would enjoy the Sports as much as the retro modern one you had been looking at. Mine are used as commuters on a daily basis. My experience says "Go for it!" if it fits and is mechanically sound.

As for price, you could try explaining the cost of new tires, etc. As long as you are reasonable and the ad received few responses, I think many CL folks are willing to bargain.
Old 08-13-12, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I have to concur with Aaron. That is a beautiful looking bike, but they aren't actually that fun to ride. I have a yellow 74 with the leather brooks and fitted with creme Schwalbe Delta Cruisers, that I would like to sell. The thing is so darn pretty though.

On the other hand Oklahoma is so darn flat maybe the bikes weight and high gears won't be such an issue.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Lots of people will tell you yes, go for it...so I'll give you an opposing view.

There are two ways to judge a bike's value - it's value on the market and its value as a bike. On both counts - no, it's not worth it in my opinion.

In my area, a good bike selling area, Raleigh Sports top out at $200 with leather Brooks saddles, dyohubs, and even a bag. The desirable ones - the 40s - 50s ones - are hard to sell for $200. I think that's over priced by $100, though some folks here think they sell for more. That has not been my experience and they sit on Craigslist for anything over $150. This one doesn't even have a generator hub.

As a bike to ride, I also don't like it. It's needlessly heavy, has steel rims, crappy brakes...I don't think there's anything good about these bikes...other than durability. Lots of folks here like them...I don't understand it. You'd be much better off with a vintage MTB from a riding standpoint. By Raleigh 3 speed standards, I think that's pretty mediocre.
Old 08-13-12, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acoffin
I have to concur with Aaron. That is a beautiful looking bike, but they aren't actually that fun to ride. I have a yellow 74 with the leather brooks and fitted with creme Schwalbe Delta Cruisers, that I would like to sell. The thing is so darn pretty though.

On the other hand Oklahoma is so darn flat maybe the bikes weight and high gears won't be such an issue.
I live in very "rolling" terrain. I think three speed choices are plenty for my commute and I'm a girl. I have lots of fun in either commute direction.
Old 08-13-12, 07:22 PM
PHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a good deal, no, but I dont think you'll be getting ripped off if everything works and you like the ride. Some of us love how they ride, btw. Besides, if you dont have time to scour the internets looking for a steal of a price, and then the additional time to put in to make it function well and look pretty, well, you could do worse.
Old 08-13-12, 09:49 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Originally Posted by slowtostart
I live in very "rolling" terrain. I think three speed choices are plenty for my commute and I'm a girl. I have lots of fun in either commute direction.
FWIW, step through Raleighs usually go for a bit less. If you like this one, though, buy it.
Old 08-13-12, 10:28 PM
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
If you like it buy it. then go for a ride. There is little more pleasing than coasting along on a hot August night in the mellow glow of a Miller lamp, the sound of crickets and the Tick, Tick, Tick of a Sturmey hub. Priceless!
Old 08-13-12, 10:54 PM
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride it, like it, buy it. Listen to your gut and what you really feel about it. I've been looking for a C&V bike for awhile. I saw a Raleigh Team U.S.A. bike that I liked but most people would say was overpriced and not worth the price it was selling at. I was convinced not to get it due to the value, but my gut said I should get it.

I'm satisfied 110% with the bike, and it gets more miles than my $5k carbon Madone gets. I also spend far more time than I should each day thinking of the small things that I want to clean up or upgrade on the bike to make it even better.

If you love the bike and it rides well, go for it. Sometimes value is only really what you think the bike is worth, not others. Just keep in mind that if you intend to sell the bike later, then in it may be better to listen to what others say it's worth. If it's intended as a forever bike, a higher selling price shouldn't matter as much.
Old 08-14-12, 09:17 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by slowtostart
In less than a year I am now the proud owner of 2 Sports, a '72 and a '73. My '73 has a similar decal to the one you have pictured, but does not have a coaster brake. It does have braze-ons for the rear brake cable. The '72 has a coaster brake and no braze-ons for a rear brake cable. Someone did take the time to not apply them on mine. It does have pump pegs that are braze ons.

As for price, you could try explaining the cost of new tires, etc. As long as you are reasonable and the ad received few responses, I think many CL folks are willing to bargain.
Starting around '73, Raleigh made many minor changes to the Sports, such as self adjusting brakes, 36/36 spoking instead of 32/40, and braceless chainwheel. In '74 brazed on top tube cable guides became standard. Before that they used clips. They're not on your '72 because they didn't come on any '72. See https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_ralsport_visID.html and https://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_Raleigh_Sports_chart.html
Old 05-10-19, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This posting is very very old, but I want to try this question anyhow for those knowledgeable about vintage Raleigh 3 speeds. gna in this post says that in '73 Raleigh went with an un-braced chain-wheel. I'm looking at purchase of a platinum gray Raleigh Sport whose details match catalog illlustration for a '73 model but S.A. hub is stamped 1972. I was struck by very unusual paint color and expect to purchase. So, will chain-wheel on this bike be 'un-braced'? and what exactly does this mean? Also, what other 'economies' were effected to post '72 Raleigh Sports models? Many thanks for useful responses to these questions. - Brian Purdy, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Old 05-10-19, 10:35 AM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by bikedoggie
This posting is very very old, but I want to try this question anyhow for those knowledgeable about vintage Raleigh 3 speeds. gna in this post says that in '73 Raleigh went with an un-braced chain-wheel. I'm looking at purchase of a platinum gray Raleigh Sport whose details match catalog illlustration for a '73 model but S.A. hub is stamped 1972. I was struck by very unusual paint color and expect to purchase. So, will chain-wheel on this bike be 'un-braced'? and what exactly does this mean? Also, what other 'economies' were effected to post '72 Raleigh Sports models? Many thanks for useful responses to these questions. - Brian Purdy, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
I think he meant that the chainwheel only had the heron braces and not the older style with extra braces in between the herons. Most of the once great Raleigh empire was winding down, so cost cutting measures were put in place - the later bikes were not bad, but the earlier ones were better.
Old 05-10-19, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I think he meant that the chainwheel only had the heron braces and not the older style with extra braces in between the herons. Most of the once great Raleigh empire was winding down, so cost cutting measures were put in place - the later bikes were not bad, but the earlier ones were better.
Thanks very much for your input. Yes, this is exactly what was meant. I've now seen illustrations of with and without braces. Agree earlier bikes were better but 72/73 vintage is still pretty darn good IMHO. Cheers!
Old 05-10-19, 03:05 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by bikedoggie
Believe it or not, I've been away from Bikeforums for the last couple of years but just dropped in recently. And there I am from years ago!

My wife's bike is a 73, I guess, but it has a braced chainwheel and 32/40 spoking, but came with self adjusting brakes. My bike is a '72, (I think) but it has an unbraced chainwheel.

Unbraced:

Unbraced

Braced:

braced

Note the extra bracing between the Herons on my new '70 twenty.
Old 05-10-19, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
According to Kurt's headbadge site, it was indeed 1972 that the braceless heron was introduced and became standard equipment the following year.