Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

CVCC Century - Boonesboro MD

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts

For those that made the ride I'm sure the kids at SAN MAR appreciate the support.
For those that didn't you missed an exceptional day in Western Md with great scenery and a challenging ride. All of the rest stops were well stocked and volunteers everywhere to help out.

The first leg of the century was a short and flat 19 1/2 miles 875' of gain `to Williamsport where you could split off and continue on leg 2 of the century or continue on and do the metric.

The second leg of the century was 23 miles and only 1200' of gain took you out past Dam 5 on the C&O canal and then back to Williamsport to the rest stop. These first 2 legs of the trip lured some folks into thinking this was going to be a flat ride. I rode with one person just outside of Williamsport that had mentioned that it wasn't that difficult. Being from the area I knew what was coming so I had given her the advice that the brutal parts were yet to come.

Leg 3 of the century or leg 2 of the metric took you out of Williamsport for a short ride beside the C&O before heading through Antietam National Battlefield. You went along Cornfield Ave where some 8,000+ were wounded, killed or missing in that battle alone. About 23,000 casualties in the Battle of Sharpsburg. Hard to imagine all that in one single day. The first 10 miles of this leg were relatively flat.

If you were on this leg and looked to the left at the stoplight at the intersection of St. Paul Street and 40 you'd have noticed the Inn at Boonsboro and just down the street the bookstore - both owned by author Nora Roberts who lives not far from here.
Boonsboro is where the hills kicked in with 850' of gain in the last 10 miles to the rest stop at San Mar where you started. For the century riders you had 69 miles in and 3700' of gain.

Leg 4 of the century took you out the same way as you began in the morning but took a right turn to head toward Smithsburg and almost crossing into PA. Another 23 miles and 1420' of climbing. Only 11 miles left

Leg 5 was a short ride but gave an excellent view of the valley on Crystal Falls Dr. The view alone was worth the 94 miles you had been on the bike.

You finished back at San Mar with a tick over 103 miles and about 6000' of elevation gain where you could enjoy some great pulled chicken, salads, and ice cream - with Hammer Gel Chocolate on top if you were me. What the heck, I had some left over

I made a detour on leg 3 to stop by the house, uncover the pool for the after ride recovery and fill my bottles so I added 4 miles to the deal.

For my 107 miles it took me 6 hrs 23 min of saddle time and 6 hr 47 min of wall time.

I'll take it after last weeks Mountain Mama climbfest.

With 329 miles and 25,000+' in only 6 rides this month I look forward to 2 weeks off the bike.. unless by Friday I feel like taking it to the beach with me.

Jim, I think I saw you on Ashton road on the second leg. I was the old guy huffing and puffing in an Ireland jersey
Old 08-14-12, 03:03 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice report, IBO! This ride really killed me for some reason. I was really more wasted after this ride than Mountain Mama (although in a different way.) My legs were just constantly burning the whole time. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful ride though.

I was one of the numerous people wearing "Mountains of Misery" jerseys. I had one of the purple ones from 2011

Hey, we could make it a "three-fer" and do the Eat a Peach ride in Westminster next weekend. Still haven't decided on that one though. Day-of registration is $50, which is kinda steep...
Old 08-14-12, 07:35 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
Nice report, IBO! This ride really killed me for some reason. I was really more wasted after this ride than Mountain Mama (although in a different way.) My legs were just constantly burning the whole time. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful ride though.

I was one of the numerous people wearing "Mountains of Misery" jerseys. I had one of the purple ones from 2011

Hey, we could make it a "three-fer" and do the Eat a Peach ride in Westminster next weekend. Still haven't decided on that one though. Day-of registration is $50, which is kinda steep...
It was a challenging ride after Mountain Mama - no doubt!
I did see a number of folks cross training on the ride up Mt. Laurel road back to San-Mar on leg 3 of the century and then more on Cool Hollow road on the way to Smithsburg.

I'll be in my truck Saturday headed to Myrtle beach then on to Lake Okeechobee with my bow to get a Gator and hogs.
I have decided to take the cross bike along to practice some of the challenging overpass repeats they have at the beach and in Florida.
Won't be back until the 28th, just in time to get the legs wound up for the Civil War Century out of Thurmont. Need to get that one over early so I can jump in the tree that evening - Archery season starts on the 8th this year