Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrade question - which components should i upgrade first?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Help a newbie!!!

A general question, if I am building or upgrading a bike, is it better to upgrade to higher grade STI levers, chainset or derailleurs first?
Or is it better to just get a full groupset at one specification?

I am building a 10speed touring/road + mild-off-road bike using a cyclo-cross frame. I cannot afford a full 105 spec, but if i were to go 105 or even Ultegra on one or two components which would be the best to spend my extra cash on? I will build using Ebay/new bits from wherever I can scrounge them...

I think I can use older NOS Ultegra/105 spec parts interchanged with new 10 speed Tiagra? In particular, 2nd hand 105 STIs are a lot cheaper than new Tiagra levers...
Old 08-17-12, 09:53 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
I'm not a fan of the buy and upgrade approach to bike purchasing. Spend more time to find a bike (or a slightly used on) that's nearest to what you want and within your price range. Then you might upgrade the one item needed to bring it to where you want.

However there's never a need or benefit to upgrading anything unless you have a specific objection to a specific item. Otherwise the smartest strategy is to upgrade as you go along as things wear out, and need replacing anyway.

As to which is of more benefit, there's no rule, and needs to be taken case by case according to your specific issues. For example, most people cannot distinguish between cranks, but a heavy, strong rider who mashes up hills regularly will find stiffer cranks a major improvement. Overall, I'd say that wheels have the most room for noticeable improvement, but those are also the most expensive, so it really makes sense to upgrade only when the existing ones are shot.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-17-12, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
You haven't said what you are starting off with, but if doing a full groupset upgrade or starting from scratch, would be looking at the cost of a complete bike vs buying parts, as the difference may be minimal.

If you are going to get individual from new, the STI's are a contact point, Ultegra are nicer than 5700 (105) which are nicer than Tiagra (4600), as they wear out slower than dérailleurs would look at this initially.

For intermixing Tiagra 4600 with older Ultegra / 105, maybe, there is A and B level compatibility https://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...ty%20Chart.pdf, then real world compatibility which is normally a little more flexible.
Old 08-17-12, 10:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In principle I agree with you. But I have a frame only and will be buying all the parts for it separately. In this case I can in some ways pick and choose parts, so if i am going for a 10-speed Tiagra setup but someone is selling some 105 shifters that are hardly used and a bit more than Tiagra ones, is it worth doing this, or should I spend the extra money on, say, the derailleurs instead?
Old 08-17-12, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that jimC101. I'll have a look at the PDF, if may make things clearer
Old 08-17-12, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am starting off with nothing, btw, groupset -wise, except a pair of 2303 3x8 speed shifters which i will probably sell, since to build my bike as an 8 speed seems a bit daft. I have an old mtb and already find some parts hard to come by.
Old 08-17-12, 10:26 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
My thought process is "if you have to ASK WHAT to upgrade", you probably need to think it over more.
Old 08-17-12, 10:32 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinPettit
.... so if i am going for a 10-speed Tiagra setup but someone is selling some 105 shifters that are hardly used and a bit more than Tiagra ones, is it worth doing this, or should I spend the extra money on, say, the derailleurs instead?
IME, it's hard to notice a functional difference in derailleurs of nearly similar quality. Lever differences seem to be more of a factor. I do this all the time in the Campy world, using Chorus levers with a Veloce derailleur, but never the other way around. The comparison between a slightly used better lever vs. a new lever one or two levels down is harder to call since we all define slightly used differently.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-17-12, 10:58 AM

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also of the mindset that it is probably a bit better to wait and see if you can save up for the money for the bike that has what you want...if you're buying new. If getting used parts (of variable quality), you can sometimes get a deal and upgrade as you go along. For me, I've spent a good amount of time (and money) upgrading parts on my mid 80s steel Treks. Sometimes with new parts, sometimes with old. Here is what I've noticed in terms of upgrades that really seem to make things better vs. those that don't seem to matter so much, at least for me.

1. First, having bearing surfaces work well and parts cleaned and lubed makes the greatest difference in ride quality of anything I've observed. So, if your derailleurs are gritty, wheels spin rough, brake pads are old, or bottom bracket is rough, chain is rough, those things should get cleaned or upgraded first. If just in bad shape, replaced first. A 30 year old bike with a new BB cartridge, new chain, overhauled hubs (that are in good shape), and new brake pads can ride very nice.
2. Wheels...They are the most expensive but I've noticed the biggest changes in my ride when I switch out the wheels. This may (or may not) necessitate switching up your shifters, derailleurs, etc. - so research that. Tires can also make a big difference.
3. Shifters...if making major shifts from something like downtube shifters to brifters or the like. My life wasn't changed much when I switched from 8 speed 105s to 9 speed Ultegras...sure, the latter were smoother...but it wasn't a big deal. If I were buying new, I would get at least 105 level or wait until I could and use old down tube shifters in the mean time.
4. Rear Derailleur
5. Crank...more so to make sure I get the chainring sizes I want. The higher grade ones usually are a bit lighter and nice. Some people have strong preferences about how some look.
6. Cassette, more to get the size I want. I have sometimes had trouble with the real cheapies shifting as well as the mid- to higher- level ones.

Things I personally haven't worried about (judging by my actions) are the headset, brake calipers, handlebars, front derailleur, or brake levers, not that everyone would agree. I think Tektro makes some pretty good calipers and brake levers (if you don't need brifters) that don't cost a lot. I've switched out a 9 speed ultegra front derailleur with a mid-level Shimano from 25 years ago...didn't notice a difference.

So, if it were me, and I could only spend more money on a few parts, I'd pick the wheels, shifters, and rear derailleur as the priority.
Old 08-17-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
.... but someone is selling some 105 shifters that are hardly used and a bit more than Tiagra ones, is it worth doing this, or should I spend the extra money on, say, the derailleurs instead?
"Hardly used" fills me with suspicion. Shimano STI's can't effectively be repaired or rebuilt and if you get really high mileage ones you have wasted the money.
Old 08-17-12, 11:08 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
A general question, if I am building or upgrading a bike, is it better to upgrade to higher grade STI levers, chainset or derailleurs first?
Or is it better to just get a full groupset at one specification?

You're not really talking about upgrading an existing bike, seems like your question is what components are worth buying higher up in the spectrum.

And the answer is: wheels, shifters, and saddle.
Old 08-17-12, 12:45 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
My thought process is "if you have to ASK WHAT to upgrade", you probably need to think it over more.
+ lots.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-17-12, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Try thinking of this as finding solutions to problems you have identified rather than asking how to upgrade. Thus if you need better pedals because your shoes aren't held in place or the derailleur doesn't have the capacity for a new cassette or the brakes are not linear then it's time for replacement and possible upgrading. Blanket upgrading for no specific reasons may result in lots of money spent for no improvement in performance.

This will seem harsh but I know of no other way to say it. Building a bike from scratch using components that will be replaced because they are below your standard will be very expensive and really makes little sense. My recommendation is to save for a fully built bike that is equipped as you want it. You will spend les money and encounter much less frustration and end up with a quality bike.

Last edited by Delmarva; 08-17-12 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 01:44 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the part you contact.. find a saddle you can grow old using..

and keep thru several bikes..

I am starting off with nothing,
go shopping for a new bike with the features you want
Shimano 105 components ?
that is a low 4 figure price these days.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-17-12 at 01:48 PM.