Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Honolulu

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Waterford Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Honolulu

I've been a lurker for some time and have enjoyed all of the great information on this forum. I'm a long time recreational cyclist but started to commute about a year ago (25 miles r/t). I logged a little over 3K last year and am shooting for 4K this go around. I also ride a bit on Sundays with some more serious riders which has been fun and really opened my eyes to how fast and fit these folks are. I'm really interested in touring and hope to get some time this summer for at least a one week tour somewhere. Future plans are to participate in the cycle Canada cross country ride.
Old 01-24-05, 07:10 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums George! I have spent a little time in Honolulu, how is the riding there?
Old 01-26-05, 07:28 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Welcome G,
I also used to live on Oahu, got to love those trade winds when they are at your back. Sounds like a lot of miles riding in circles, I always liked the ride from Honolulu, Hawaii Kai, Wimanalo and over Pali (damn that head wind!)
Old 01-29-05, 02:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats up george, and welcome. I'm a new participant/longtime lurker as well. Been planning on a move to hawaii this summer, going to get some organic farm work in. Just tell me there are long roads and high trails and ill be set.

what are you riding out there?
Old 02-03-05, 11:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tks Guys,

The riding is nice out here. There's the traffic but there are some nice open rides too, my favorite being from Diamond Head out to Waimanalo and back. There is also a nice group of racers for those that enjoy that kind of serious pain.

I commute to work on my road bike (steel)- 25 miles r/t so that is the bulk of my mileage. I also try to get a 40-50 mile ride in a couple of time a month on weekends. Indicarlos, you'll enjoy the cycling. Tks for the welcome.
Old 02-04-05, 12:05 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by George Privon
Tks Guys,

The riding is nice out here. There's the traffic but there are some nice open rides too, my favorite being from Diamond Head out to Waimanalo and back. There is also a nice group of racers for those that enjoy that kind of serious pain.

I commute to work on my road bike (steel)
G,
Watch that steel bike out there, my bike really rusted bad from sea air. I made a good decision to leave my best bikes in Denver during that time I was in HI, took a long time to clean them when I returned to mainland. I enjoyed riding on Big Island, especially on Saddle road to observatory visitor station.
Old 02-04-05, 12:48 AM
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
I enjoyed riding on Big Island, especially on Saddle road to observatory visitor station.
You are a glutton for punishment. Even driving from the saddle road intersection at Humuulu to Halepohaku is painful & tedious to me. However, I plan to ride my mountain bike back on all the dirt roads around there when I get it rebuilt. I don't get out to hike around the Halepohaku area enough when I'm working up there.

How you liking The Return Of The Rain, George? I hate cleaning my chain every couple days when it's like this. Let the rust begin.

Last edited by bkrownd; 02-04-05 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-05-05, 12:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back on island last Sunday nite after some time on the mainland. It's been raining every day this week and they are calling for more this weekend. Spent more time in my car this week than I have the past year. Just had my bike overhauled a few weeks back and had the anti-rust stuff re-applied. I'm hopeful that perhaps they'll be some blue sky this weekend.
Old 02-05-05, 12:26 AM
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode home in the heavy downpour last night wearing a big yellow poncho. Worked better than I expected strolling along in low gears to stay cool- it was rather fun actually, and I didn't need the usual shower when I got home.
Old 02-05-05, 12:29 AM
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkrownd
it was rather fun actually, and I didn't need the usual shower when I got home.
Gotta love it