Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Bad banner ad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 01:40 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Can you take a screen shot or give us a little more info to go on?
Old 10-28-13, 07:52 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Well, I see no ads at all on the homepage as of looking today, not even the little banners in the directory rows. Even if I'm a Titanium Club member I've seen ads, which isn't killing me too much either way other than the ones that were really busy with animation. I'm still using IE8 too, working on eventually solving that OS quandry that is forthcoming.
Old 10-28-13, 08:19 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Well, I see no ads at all on the homepage as of looking today, not even the little banners in the directory rows. Even if I'm a Titanium Club member I've seen ads, which isn't killing me too much either way other than the ones that were really busy with animation. I'm still using IE8 too, working on eventually solving that OS quandry that is forthcoming.
You shouldn't be seeing ads w/Ti membership. Look over what all "add ons" you have installed on IE.

I got a new laptop earlier this year (W8, IE9) and I was seeing ads- which should not happen. Come to find out that I had a Coupon helper of some kind*. I removed it and the ads went away.

*Near as I can figure, it must have piggybacked itself on something that I did install (and I even downloaded from the official IE add on site).
Old 10-28-13, 09:20 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I only have Spybot-Search & Destroy components. I have a theory that either Spybot found something to block or when I was goofing around and trying some blocks to make my Yahoo email page less cluttered and such I inadvertantly zapped something that makes it loop on opening instead, never getting there. I gave up on finding what I did without reverting my IE (which I doubt does anything to the blacklist anyhaw) and learned I could now import my account send-only to read that mail.

Ultimately I moved the last registration linked to that free account to another account and decided to forget about that.

I think messing that up may have done something to help the ads go away (hunch) but I did a lot of other cleaning and fixing as well.
Old 10-30-13, 08:24 AM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Not sure if this is where I should report this.

I'm not completely sure if this started yesterday or today. When the ad at the top right of the page is either, Chili's or Walmart, the page ends up in an endless loop and won't load. If I reload the page a few times, until a different ad comes in at the top of the right-hand column, it will let the page load.
Originally Posted by IBobi
Can you take a screen shot or give us a little more info to go on?
It seems to have fixed itself, yesterday afternoon. It was still doing it yesterday morning, but last night, it stopped getting stuck. It's still running fine, today. Thanks.
Old 11-04-13, 04:48 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
Not sure if this is where I should report this.

I'm not completely sure if this started yesterday or today. When the ad at the top right of the page is either, Chili's or Walmart, the page ends up in an endless loop and won't load. If I reload the page a few times, until a different ad comes in at the top of the right-hand column, it will let the page load.
I'll look into it.

Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to clear your cache/cookies since this is the only report of that behavior & unlikely you're the only one seeing those ads.
Old 02-22-14, 02:52 AM

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kxl rollover.jpg (30.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-19-14, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No audio by default, but still a video ad.

Attached Images
ad_mnv.jpg (57.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-20-14, 01:21 PM
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
The 'Bo Concept' furniture ads keep putting up pop-up ads that take up almost the whole screen. This happens whether or not I roll over it (I'm definately NOT clicking on it).

And I don't know whether its related, but coming onto BF this morning I noticed it made my computer's HD run continuously. My computer HD typically runs for a mintue - possilbe loading up stuff? - which isn't a problem, but keeps going and going and going . . .
Old 05-06-14, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm getting adds that block the first post. I can't see the first post and need to scroll way down to see the second post. It's not on every post but enough to make the forums useless. It's not always the same add there are at least 2.

Attached Images
Screen.jpg (77.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-06-14, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've notified IB.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-06-14, 06:23 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-06-14, 06:26 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

By the way, we don't do popups like that. It's possible an adserver is slipping them in on us, though. Meantime, run a malware scan via Trendmicro or other antispyware adware malware system, as well, just in case you have gotten a bit of nasty code dropped into your browsers via a worm or undetected new trojan variant.

Old 05-07-14, 07:40 PM

I have McAfee. I also have Spybot S&D. They both have the latest updates. I forced a full system scan with McAfee and ran Spybot today after seeing your reply. Do you think this is good or should I try something different? All the adds that cause the problem so far are Cigna.
Old 05-08-14, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by mibike
I have McAfee. I also have Spybot S&D. They both have the latest updates. I forced a full system scan with McAfee and ran Spybot today after seeing your reply. Do you think this is good or should I try something different? All the adds that cause the problem so far are Cigna.

The trendmicro free housecall gets stuff MacAfee and Spybot misses, and can't hurt, anyway. It's a safe site and a Microsoft partner. It's also a free service. I run a trend micro run every month. It works best with IE, though, FWIW. It clears issues with the other browsers on the computer as well, though and keeps your IE secure, whether you use it or not.

Old 05-08-14, 06:17 AM

Thanks. I download Trend Micro and it's scanning now.
Old 05-08-14, 07:09 AM

I ran Trend Micro and no problems found.
Old 06-27-14, 05:40 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm getting this HORRIBLE British Columbia ad that has an animated whale jumping. It's pretty the first time you see it but how it's jacking up my whole posting. I can't reply to threads. Can't go to ANY screen without it popping up again. It's sourcing from the top in between the forum directory tree and the top of an actual thread. It's on my iPad-only. (for example, I'm typing this on a PC in Windows and everything's fine)

Anywho.....If it needs a screenshot, let me know but I figured everybody was seeing "British Columbia" ad but apparently not. (at least nobody else is complaining about it here)

Thanks in advance!