Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Photos from fatal bike crash in Cincy this morning

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Photos from fatal bike crash in Cincy this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
Considering the point of impact it looks like the bike was in proper posture and the car failed to adjust speed,which appears high by that force. A friend of mine has a bad right eye(blind in it) which I am not saying is a cause for a handicap plate or an accident, it could account for a depth perception or field of view issue.
I hadn't noticed/thought of that, but presumably all things be equal and judging by where the bike was wedged into the car. It looks as if he was just left of the right tire track.

So unless the driver was distracted by something more "important" than driving. Theres no reason he shouldn't have seen the cyclist.

And I agree in that it would be nice to see the drivers cell phone/OnStar records. As well as their driving record.
Old 08-28-12, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
Originally Posted by rm -rf

I wouldn't have expected a bike collision on that road, given the sight lines, and all the common bike and walker traffic in the area. It was dark, 6:15 am, sunrise is 7:03.
I had the same thought. There appear to be lights on the bars - probably in the rear too.

-G
There does appear to be something (presumably a taillight) clap tongue seat post just above the seat post clamp.
Old 08-28-12, 09:08 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't know if it is a regional thing or not, but old folks seem to live in utter fear of venturing into the oncoming lane to effect a pass. I have been buzzed by more old folks than any other category...even the Bubbas. Do you get that in your area too?
How old is old to you? At what age does one qualify to fit your stereotyping of "old folks?" Does a 40 year old driver qualify? If not WTF does your observation have to do with this accident?

BTW, How do you guesstimate drivers' age while riding your bike? Blue/gray/no hair, driving a Buick, anybody who looks older than you, or what?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-28-12 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if it is a regional thing or not, but old folks seem to live in utter fear of venturing into the oncoming lane to effect a pass. I have been buzzed by more old folks than any other category...even the Bubbas. Do you get that in your area too?
Is it legal in Ohio to cross that double yellow line?
Old 08-29-12, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my part I'd be on the "path." You will never win with a car. Ride to survive. My deepest sympathy to the cyclists family.
Old 08-29-12, 07:52 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
How old is old to you? At what age does one qualify to fit your stereotyping of "old folks?" Does a 40 year old driver qualify? If not WTF does your observation have to do with this accident?

BTW, How do you guesstimate drivers' age while riding your bike? Blue/gray/no hair, driving a Buick, anybody who looks older than you, or what?

My observation has nothing to do with this accident. It was an aside. That happens on internet forums sometimes. To answer your question, I don't need to guesstimate their age. Look up the definition of elderly. The people that buzz me often have the physical characteristics of elderly people.
Old 08-29-12, 07:54 AM
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Is it legal in Ohio to cross that double yellow line?
There is language in most state's laws that do allow it in certain circumstances. Even if not, I doubt you'd find too many cops who'd take issue with a careful pass of a mail truck, bicycle, tractor, broken down vehicle, etc. that involved crossing a double yellow.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-29-12 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-29-12, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like it's time to give up that driver's license.
Old 08-29-12, 09:47 AM
Been Around Awhile

My observation has nothing to do with this accident. It was an aside. That happens on internet forums sometimes.
Got it, your "observations" about elderly folks has nothing to do with the thread and is just OT unsubstantiated jabber.

Unlike your speculation (msg#9) about an elderly person being responsible for this accident – “but my guess would be the operator was elderly and will be free to continue driving and not seeing things tomorrow.” That post was about this accident but also unsubstantiated and in fact inaccurate.

But what difference does accuracy make when you have already made up your mind due to your preconceived bias, eh?
Old 08-29-12, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
This story is depressing.

I ride on the streets and two of my daughters live, and commute by bike, in San Francisco.

Thge back and forth bickering here is just as depressing.

For G's sake, one of our brothers lost his life, doing exactly what we love to do. Let's focus on that.

Sad....
Old 08-29-12, 11:17 AM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the images, does it look like there was only a car-length or 2 from where he was struck to where the car stopped? Looks like an officer holding a marker by the puddle so would that be where it happened? No skid marks or anything - so the car must have been traveling at city-street speed when they struck the bike? Right?

This kind of thing reinforced my thoughts of using a good blinkie anytime I'm on the road so the awareness of drivers is heightened before they get close. But for all we know, there was traffic distractions, plus the dangling thing from the cars RV mirror contributing to the accident.

Prayers are in order for all the parties affected by the accident, including the driver. Nothing less than a tragedy for both the victim, the driver, and their families.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 08-29-12, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My prayers go out to the family.
Gary
Old 08-29-12, 11:38 AM

Bikes: 1995? Trek 830 (with mods); 1980ish Fuji S12-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike path thing always seems a bit irrelevant to me, but maybe that's because the one time I actually was hit by a motor vehicle (a tow truck, interestingly) I WAS in the flippin' bike lane and traveling with a green light, whereas he was running a red.

My heart goes out to this guy's family and friends. I was relatively lucky, being left with a boogered up fingertip (sewed up but still feels weird) and a broken leg.
Old 08-29-12, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 1995? Trek 830 (with mods); 1980ish Fuji S12-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Thge back and forth bickering here is just as depressing.

For G's sake, one of our brothers lost his life, doing exactly what we love to do. Let's focus on that.

Sad....
Agreed.
Old 08-29-12, 12:23 PM
For The Fun of It

But what difference does accuracy make when you have already made up your mind due to your preconceived bias, eh?
This has nothing to do with the thread and is just OT idle jabber. Now back on topic I-Love-To-Immerse-Myself-In-Inconsequential-Minutia-In-The-Interest-Of Self-Aggrandization
Old 08-29-12, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK Smart Guy. Do you KNOW something about this accident other than what is in that picture or the news story? If so, explain the relevance to the death of the cyclist in pointing out that the license plate indicated the car owner is entitled to handicaped parking privileges. Or as I expect, you are like the OP just casting aspersions/speculating in order to support your personal prejudices.
I agree, random speculation. The only way in which a handicapped plate might be of interest is that raises the possibility that the driver was on a prescription drug which interfered with their functioning. It happens, and not just with handicapped people. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256838/

Old 08-29-12, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
I agree, random speculation.
That's funny (see following).

The only way in which a handicapped plate might be of interest is that raises the possibility that the driver was on a prescription drug which interfered with their functioning. It happens, and not just with handicapped people. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256838/
You contradict yourself: you first say the handicap plate is "of interest" and then say it's irrelevant. To make a "random speculation" (after agreeing with I-like-to-bike that that isn't a good thing!). Good job!

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-30-12 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-29-12, 01:05 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I agree, random speculation. The only way in which a handicapped plate might be of interest is that raises the possibility that the driver was on a prescription drug which interfered with their functioning. It happens, and not just with handicapped people. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256838/

Or vision restricted, or,or,or......There's a lot of reasons people get handicapped plates, any number of which may be relevant. And no, there's nothng in the article as to why the driver was issued one, but it still may be relevant to the case.
Old 08-29-12, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
Or vision restricted, or,or,or......There's a lot of reasons people get handicapped plates, any number of which may be relevant. And no, there's nothng in the article as to why the driver was issued one, but it still may be relevant to the case.
I find it interesting that the reporter mentioned the poor-condition bike path in a way that seemed to come awfully close to blaming the victim, but couldn't be bothered to investigate the nature of the motorist's disability. The existence of a sidepath really not relevant to the wreck, the existence of some physical limitation on the part of the motorist MAY be important in explaining what happened.
Old 08-29-12, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Back on topic: I'm always amazed when people run into things that are right in front of them. I doubt if the disabled sticker is relevant, but I'd sure like to see the driver's cell phone log. (I know, ILTB, this is nothing but conjecture, but there are only so many reasons for running into someone who is right in front of you, and not looking is right up there.)
"I didn't see him!" is a perfectly legitimate excuse. It needs no explanation, but you can always say the sun was in your eyes or something like that. You will keep your license.
Old 08-29-12, 01:30 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I find it interesting that the reporter mentioned the poor-condition bike path in a way that seemed to come awfully close to blaming the victim, but couldn't be bothered to investigate the nature of the motorist's disability. The existence of a sidepath really not relevant to the wreck, the existence of some physical limitation on the part of the motorist MAY be important in explaining what happened.
+1. Doesn't matter if it were a perfectly paved bike path or none at all. The cyclist was where he had a right to be and the path and its condition is irrelevant.
Old 08-29-12, 01:32 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
"I didn't see him!" is a perfectly legitimate excuse. /snip
Then that person shouldn't be driving. I wonder what he'll not see next?
Old 08-29-12, 02:03 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed that the driver had handicapped plates may or may not be relevant.

Originally Posted by delcrossv

Old 08-29-12, 02:55 PM
Been Around Awhile

I agree, random speculation.
This thread is rife with speculation and club house forensic investigators lobbying against their "usual suspects" of preference: elderly folks, cell phone users, bike lane-take the lane debate, etc.

I recommend that the moderators transfer most if not all similar threads of fatal accident guesswork to the memorium thread; the outpourings of grief and sorrow are a whole lot more tasteful then the ghouls riding their conjuring hobbyhorses to make points about their favorite issues no matter if it is relevant to the accident or not.
Old 08-29-12, 03:30 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Ironically, my grandma was once pulled over for going through a rough, pot-hole-filled section of road; the cop told her to cross over the double yellow to avoid the bumps if the oncoming lane is clear.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.