Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I a wuss?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Am I a wuss?

Old 01-20-05, 08:34 AM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I a wuss?

The past week the temps have been hovering at 0F, so along with the three recent ice storms, I have taken to driving the car. But, that's not where my problem is.

I leave for work at 5:30 am and ride on a stretch of highway that includes a lengthy no-shoulder interstate crossing bridge. In the past I have occasionally walked the two miles to work for a change of pace. Now, that it is still icy but warming a bit, I have put aside the studs and decided to walk to work. It is only a 30 minute walk, so it is doesn't take me much longer to walk than it does to cycle (when including prep time).

I have come to the conclusion that walking is safer in these conditions and much better than driving, so walk I shall do. But, please don't call me a wuss.
Old 01-20-05, 09:12 AM
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In recent icing conditions here, I have found my bike safer than walking.
However, I have studded snow tires on my bike.

My son, a runner, has some interesting rubber and steel things he puts on his running shoes (Yak Traks) and they make it possible for him to run safely on ice and snow.
Old 01-20-05, 09:23 AM
EmperorNorton II

Bikes: Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steele-Bike, I see on your bio that you live in Iowa City, Iowa. I grew up in Grinnell, Iowa. Anyone who goes out at all into the almost constant prairie winter wind at 0 degrees is certainly no wuss, be they biking, jogging, walking, or crawling.....
Old 01-20-05, 12:58 PM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Cox
In recent icing conditions here, I have found my bike safer than walking.
However, I have studded snow tires on my bike.

My son, a runner, has some interesting rubber and steel things he puts on his running shoes (Yak Traks) and they make it possible for him to run safely on ice and snow.
I have studded tires, also, but it is the highway traffic that I am concerned with. On a bike, one cannot react very quickly to an out of control car.

I just bought some YakTrax the other day. As most of the ice has now melted, I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but they look like they will do the job. https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...uctId=32174415
Old 01-20-05, 04:06 PM
coitus non circum.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Come on, wuss, back on the bike!

Seriously, you are probably at more risk walking than you were riding. Go to the Advocacy forum and click the "Odds of Death" thread. It articulates the odds of death while doing various activities.
Old 01-20-05, 04:43 PM
winter is comming

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The average joe is afraid of walking 5 minutes even when its 32F. The average joe takes his car to wrk, even if it'll take him one hour in the traffic, to avoid walking outside.

You are willing to walk 30 minutes to work (good daily excercise) in the cold.

You are no wuss.