Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The essence of real freedom...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 03:08 PM
The bike plague

Bikes: 70's Legnano Road Bike, Late 70's Mercier Road Bike, Ideal Target Mountain Bike, Specialized crosstrail trekking bike and a unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

My first real bike touring experience was a trip around Peloponnese. When I wope up that morning, I felt really miserable because everything on my DIY touring bags wasnt working right (and I'm not that fond of early awakings). Anyway when finally everything looked right, I rode the gentle beast and off I went.

Man, the feeling riding your bicycle loaded with everything you ll need in a big trip is just pure magic. You know you are self-sufficient! You can go wherever you damn please! You only need to pedal hard, just it. The absolute essence of freedom.

The chilling morning breeze was coming through my ears and I could feel the suns warmth on my face. I couldn't resist and closed my eyes for few seconds. It was so spectacular man, I really understand and connect with those crazy sons of a gun who travel the world on a humble bicycle. It is THE experience.

Do you remember the feeling when you lost your virginity in bicycle touring?

Last edited by MightyLegnano; 08-30-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-29-12, 03:27 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I have days that feel like THAT on everyone of one my tours. Not everyday, mind you, but enough to keep me wanting more.
Old 08-29-12, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Do you remember the feeling when you lost your virginity in bicycle touring?
Yes, I was about 12 yeas old heading out on my bike with my fishing pole and lunch, and riding with a good friend!
Old 08-29-12, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
I have days that feel like THAT on everyone of one my tours. Not everyday, mind you, but enough to keep me wanting more.
Yes!
Old 08-29-12, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first big tour is coming up and I can't be more excited. In essence, I still haven't lost my touring virginity but I certainly know when the desire was planted in me. My dad told me when I was a kid about how he and his friend bicycled "around the state of rhode island." To me at the time, this seemed like a feat unlike any I could imagine! Cycling around a whole state!? I even knew that Rhode Island was tiny as states go but a state was still a massive object to a kid who had only cycled around his block. It was the essence of freedom as you describe. That stuck with me and has been in the back of my mind ever since whenever I've considered a bike tour.
Old 08-30-12, 07:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes! My first tour was a ride across Missouri and back, mostly on the Katy trail. I actually got doored on my way to work the morning before, and spent 1/2 the day in the ER with bruised ribs, arm, shoulder, and a big cut on my forearm.
So after work I hustled to REI so I could replace my bent handlebars, and the next morning I hopped on my bike and hauled butt. I had that freedom feeling the whole trip, made only more awesome by the fact that I'd refused to cancel it because of injury and bike damage.
Old 08-30-12, 11:29 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not yet.
Old 08-30-12, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
My first tour wasn't so exciting,I was busy changing spokes and had to buy a new rear wheel.......But I'm still doing it 35 years later,so I must like it.....
Old 08-30-12, 12:35 PM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tell all my friends that biking is the King's way to travel. None of them believe me. More open road for me.