Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandems Club on Strava

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandems Club on Strava

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandems Club on Strava

For those of you who already upload your tandem rides to Strava, consider joining the "Tandems" club that's out there. It has a half-dozen or so members, and it's fun to see where people ride their tandems each week.
Old 09-03-12, 12:59 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a link.
Old 09-03-12, 08:18 PM

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the link. I searched for "tandem" and did not find it... I guess "tandems" is the way to find it. We're the ones with the mtb tandem!
Old 09-04-12, 12:20 AM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colotandem
Thanks for the link. I searched for "tandem" and did not find it... I guess "tandems" is the way to find it. We're the ones with the mtb tandem!
The thing is, you won't find a club outside your area with the Strava club search feature. It will only provide clubs close to your location, it will not allow a global search! I understand, however, that this quirk will be soon rectified. If entering tandem as an Athlete Name in Athlete Search, you'll find those Athletes globally that use the word tandem in their name.

You can search using Google by entering tandem site:www.strava.com.

There is also the Tandem Mountain Bikers Club.

Some tips for tandems:
  • Using different email address, set up separate (free) accounts for you and your stoker as half-bike riders, and another account as a tandem team.
  • Tandem teams are naturally gregarious, and it is common for teams to 'Follow' one another based only on being fellow tandems. This works if your account is identified as a tandem team. If you have just a single Athlete account, another tandem team won't know that you are a tandem. It all works out better with the tandem team label out there front and center.
  • If your Garmin has both single and tandem rides, don't just upload en masse all the rides from your Garmin into your tandem team account, as the half-bike rides will enter too, and these are laborious to remove! Practically, once you start your tandem account, upload only the new rides as you ride them, and these directly après ride. If you wait, you'll forget which ride is which. As The Offspring might say, you've got to keep 'em separated.
  • You'll need to Log In into the single and tandem accounts using the different email addresses.
  • The Strava Athlete profile makes no accommodation for tandems. In entering the information for weight you can follow the lead of Kruezotter, and provide a mean value for the captain and stoker, or enter your total team weight. I don't know which will provide the least aberrant readings.
  • The choices for 'gender' are Male, Female and Rather not say. This will matter in the King and Queen of the Mountain (KOM, QOM) segment standings, which are a big deal at Strava. If you select Female, there are segments in which a female stoker may have the fastest time, and depose the half-bike riding previous QOM, who may resent the captain's assistance to the new QOM. This is not all bad, because if enough deposed QOM's complain, Strava might become more interested in making tandem accommodations. We just use Rather not say, to avoid any contention.
  • I double-post the tandem rides in my half-bike Athlete profile, lest my inveterate tandem riding go unnoticed by the single-bike community (this requires uploading the tandem separately for each account). For the single bike account, I specify tandem in the ride title. For a male captain, it works out to have the tandem rides added to the single account, but not for the single rides to be added to the tandem account. For a female stoker, adding the tandem rides to the single account tends to confuse, as her performance will usually be far superior on the tandem.
Old 09-04-12, 06:57 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ritterview, thanks for the detailed information. This might be interesting enough to make using Strava worthwhile.
Old 09-04-12, 09:33 AM

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Ritterview. We follow a similar plan. I have one Strava account that has me listed as "Dan/Bevin Orlinski - Tandem" and my other account is just my name. I think many are listing as "(tandem)". I have us listed as male with our combined weight. I kept us listed under the male category as I did not want to have the females getting upset over the Queen of the Mountain stuff... I keep the tandem activity on one account and the solo activity on a separate account.

It certainly is fun when we end up on the first page of a segment of a local mtb climb, being that tandems are slow an all. We don't ride much on the road lately, so we have not been able to see how we measure up against our roadie friends.

I find the Strava a great tool to measure our performance vs. early season - or maybe previous years, but I have yet to load older GPS data than this current year.
It can be addicting chasing your personal records!
Old 09-05-12, 12:55 AM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We joined the group. Thanks!
Old 09-05-12, 06:41 AM

Bikes: 2010 Calfee Tetra Tandem, 2005 Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, El Conquistador de Montanas, Schwinn Twin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We joined, too. Thanks for the detailed info. I'll manually upload our tandem rides later (I keep a record of what bike when I upload to bikejournal.com which is where I keep logs of all our rides / (s)miles. I haven't been that interested in Strava, but this might get me using it.
Old 09-09-12, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Paketa V2r di2, C-Dale MT 3000, Teesdale, 1963 Huffy Daisey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
we are members as "(tandem)" male using our combined weight.
Oh, I know a few stokers who would object to noting the tandem performance as "far superior" than themselves alone. Don't we all go much faster and further on the tandem than alone? At least for our team we climb at the same rate whether on tandem or either of us alone on a single, and certainly our non-climbing speed is far superior than either me or my stoker on singles! So it would skew either of our results if we ever had a single bike account.

Last edited by Turbotandem; 09-09-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I joined this weekend, what I cannot figure out is how to attach the strava tag to my signature line here in BikeForums?
Old 09-10-12, 05:18 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock
So I joined this weekend, what I cannot figure out is how to attach the strava tag to my signature line here in BikeForums?
Under Settings at the top of the screen, look for Edit Signature.

Add this url as an image: https://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7...stravalogo.jpg

...and this url as a link: https://app.strava.com/clubs/tandems

Strava Tandem Club
Old 09-10-12, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
right, thanks!
Old 10-22-12, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Novara Arriba, Cannondale RT3000 Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I first joined as my Single profile before I knew better and have now created a new 'Tandem' profile. How do I get my single profile, Darrell Buhler, removed?
Old 10-22-12, 06:46 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbuhler
So I first joined as my Single profile before I knew better and have now created a new 'Tandem' profile. How do I get my single profile, Darrell Buhler, removed?
Lets just say its taken care of.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 10-22-12, 07:06 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I joined, but I'm going to have to "unjoin" and set up a second account. My bad

Fixed. Set up second Strava account.

Last edited by rdtompki; 10-22-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 07:15 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Novara Arriba, Cannondale RT3000 Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
Lets just say its taken care of.

Many Thanks!!
Old 10-24-12, 02:33 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm "in" with two tiny coffee rides loaded. It's strange that I can't find a link to the tandem club on any of my Strava pages. Might I be doing something wrong? My rides do appear on the tandem club page, however.
Old 10-24-12, 07:01 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I'm "in" with two tiny coffee rides loaded. It's strange that I can't find a link to the tandem club on any of my Strava pages. Might I be doing something wrong? My rides do appear on the tandem club page, however.
Typically, the clubs to which a member belongs will appear:
  • On the Dashboard, in the right column under You're Following, with the heading Clubs.
  • On the My Profile Page, in the right column on the bottom.
  • In the Segment view of a ride, in the left Leaderboard column. Under categories such as age, People Your Following, etc. Since the club is 'Tandems' it looks there like Strava has somehow identified all the tandems that have rode that segment, and you'll find out how you did against other tandems. Nope. It is just the members of the Tandem club.

Strava Tandem Club
Old 12-30-16, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I joined the Tandem Strava Club with my usual account, as I didn't know there was a problem with that. It seems I joined, as it shows in my Activity, but our ride didn't show up in the Club Activity. After reading the notes, it appears that I should use a different email and membership. Now I can't find a way to unjoin. But if I can unjoin, I can rejoin with a separate account, but then I don't know how to tell Strava on my android phone which account to use. I use a Cateye uploading to Strava on my half-bike, and not sure how that would handle it. In my current Strava, I just switch the "gear" to the Tandem when saving it. Seems simple to have Strava direct it to the Tandem club that way.... Any hints on resolving the unjoin issue would be appreciated. We are enjoying the tandem!
Old 12-31-16, 06:10 AM

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by EthanBixby
I joined the Tandem Strava Club... Now I can't find a way to unjoin.

I don't know how to tell Strava on my android phone which account to use. I use a Cateye uploading to Strava on my half-bike, and not sure how that would handle it. In my current Strava, I just switch the "gear" to the Tandem when saving it. Seems simple to have Strava direct it to the Tandem club that way.... Any hints on resolving the unjoin issue would be appreciated. We are enjoying the tandem!
To unjoin, go to your profile page and click the link to navigate to the tandem club strava page. In the right hand of the page look for a button to invite members and just below that should be a section that lists the members. You should see a tiny little link that says "Leave".

You should not need a separate account, but doing so is the polite thing to do so you don't pollute the tandem activity log with your single rides. I have a separate account for our tandem and what I do is allow Garmin connect to upload all my/our rides to my main Strava account then I log in to my tandem account and plug my garmin into USB and upload it the old school way. I am sure there are other ways but I also use the USB on the computer to charge the Garmin so it is fairly easy.

If you are using your phone as your activity recorder, you should just need to log into your tandem account and record the ride from there.
Old 12-31-16, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the tips. In my profile, there is nothing in the Clubs area. But if I look lower at activity, it shows I joined the Tandem club on the 27th. If I click the red tandem logo there, I get to the Tandem club page. My rides aren't listed, and I don't show in the member list, and there is no unjoin button, so I suspect that my "Joining" did not fully work. Maybe that is a good thing, as I can see if I can make two accounts work on my Android phone, and then create a new account for the tandem rides, and learn how to open the right Strava for those rides.
Thanks again for the help,
Ethan
Old 01-01-17, 01:43 PM
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Unfortunately there does seem to be many single riders that have joined the "Tandems" group but used their "single" account which falsifies usage of the tandem group data for comparison.

I don't intend to delve into Strava help, other than to say that I do have separate single ("Bryan") and tandem ("Bryan & Linda - Tandem") accounts. This does seem to work well enough to provide data to compare between my two major ride categories.

Associating with clubs and removal is easy enough for most ppl. Post to the Strava forum if needing further.

Last edited by twocicle; 01-01-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am finally joining the 21st century. I set up a separate account with Tandem in the name and used combined weight and rather not say. We just got smart phones so I use my phone for my half bike and my wife's phone for the tandem as she usually only rides with me. Now we just need a break in the weather to test it out.

Last edited by Stick69; 01-06-17 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 11:08 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I went ahead and created a tandem only Strava account, and joined the Tandem club, successfully this time. I use my phone, which gets uploaded to Strava either directly or from a Cateye Smart Strada cyclometer on my half-bike. Once on Strava with a laptop, I found I can export the GPX file, and if appropriate upload to the single bike account, which I do as it has our complete tandem mileage on it. Easy enough. Thanks for the tips. We have had great weather here, but it looks like rain, cold, and windy this weekend! Enjoying riding the tandem here in flatland Florida!