Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Freezing hands

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Freezing hands

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress Sx, Cheap clunker mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freezing hands

Ok, recently it has actually gotten cold here in North Carolina.

One day this past week a check of the weather said 14 degrees F, 10mph wind, feels like 5 degrees F.

It was my first expirence in riding a good distance in anything that cold. I put close-fitting fleece hiking pants under my tights, an extra layer up top, wool socks, a clava, and for my hands I had a pair of "windproof" gloves and liners.

Everything was great. I was nice and tosty warm, even my face and throat adjusted to the cold.

Only problem was that my fingers felt like they were splitting open by the time I finished with my 5 mile commute, despite the double layers of gloves.

Does anyone possibly know any tricks to keeping a bit more heat around the hands, or is it just another search for gloves again?
Old 01-20-05, 09:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Search for gloves would be good. Search this forum to really learn. My glove combo has been worn in negative F windchills for as much as up to 2 hours at a time this year, with no problem. Your hands shouldn't hurt if you dress properly.

You don't need to spend a bunch of money either. The gloves i wear came from Walmart and Target. I wear a light weight fleece pair of gloves as a base. On top of that i wear a pair of convertible mittens that are made of thinsulate. I leave the mitten portions covering my fingers until i need dexterity for things like zippers. Than i just fold them back and I have fingers!!!

I really think this is superior to even the expensive lobster gloves. It is very nice to have dexterity when it is needed. It would suck to be in freezing temps with fumbling fingers.
Old 01-20-05, 10:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey i live in the sandhills area of NC im starting to ride in the cold an dmy fingerless mtb gloves for my road bike just ain't cutting it heehe