Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where are you riding this weekend ? 09/08-09

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

On Saturday or Sunday (Haven't decided yet) I am heading towards Corona from Fontana where I"ll hop on the SART @ Green River, take that to PCH, to Seal Beach, Jump on the SGRT all the way to Irwindale where I'll work my way to Foothill and head back home via Foothill/Baseline.

I've never ridden on the SGRT - Any pointers traveling North on SGRT ? I estimate I'll be going through there around 8 or 9 as I am leaving my house around 4
Old 09-05-12, 09:22 AM

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You Crazy. There is one fork on the trail, (stay left). There is also a hard blind 270 turn probabley 2/3 of the way back.

Saturday I hope to go to cars n coffee and then hunnington. Riding will be on Sunday either local (GMR) or in Yucaipa.
Old 09-05-12, 09:50 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Not sure where yet, but my Aunt is coming back for her beagle on Saturday, so I'll be free-at-last on Sunday to ride my bike or paddle my kayak until I barf.
Can't wait-can't wait-can't waiiitt!!
Old 09-05-12, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
On Saturday or Sunday (Haven't decided yet)
I've never ridden on the SGRT - Any pointers traveling North on SGRT ? I estimate I'll be going through there around 8 or 9 as I am leaving my house around 4
There is a detour on SGRT. Here is what GarfieldCat wrote about in a recent thread:

I think its the Artesia Blvd tunnel that's closed. Going down and up that concrete embankment is kind of steep and the consequences are severe if you don't make it. Some riders walk their bikes down and up the embankment.

Near the Artesia Blvd SGRT is also the Coyote Creek Bike trail that actually connects to the SGRT. I don't know the conditions of any kind of Coyote Creek closures, but that would be an alternative route to bypass the closed Artesia tunnel.

The distance between the SGRT and the Coyote Creek trail while on Artesia Blvd is about .83 of a mile, going West on Artesia.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/841542-Sgrt

I am riding up Hwy. 38 from the ranger station to Onyx Summit on Saturday if anyone wants to join me. I know Lesper is interested, but he can't ride Saturday and I can't ride Sunday. I'm planning an early start (on the bike between 6:30 and 7am).
Old 09-05-12, 10:18 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Genaro - couple things.

1) don't accidentally get on Coyote Creek. Take the bridge over so you can continue north on SGRT
2) there's a detour on the SGRT - you'll need to get off SGRT at 183rd, head west on 183rd to Palo Verde, North to Artesia and then East back to SGRT. It's apparently an easy detour. I would highly recommend you do NOT ride down into the river bed (although you can) simply because there is a lot of tire puncturing debris down there.
3) take care at the Whittier underpass - it's a skinny little dark tunnel.

I think the blind 270 lesper is talking about is where you switch from the east side of the "river" back to the west side at San Gabriel river parkway. Shift all the way down before you take the turn (so you'll go Whittier underpass, then Beverly underpass, then San Gabriel)

Obviously, there is water at the end of SART at those restrooms but there's also a little diner with an outdoor water fountain (I use it all the time and I'm still alive) at the terminus of SGRT in Seal Beach. Most of the parks on SGRT will also have water fountains but it appears to dry up north of Whittier Blvd. If you get off at Whittier and head towards the freeway, there's a mobil station there with a minimart (so it's extremely close to the trail) if you need any there.

I would take Sierra Madre through azusa rather than foothill and then work your way down to foothill when you get to the GMR area.

How far is that? Has to be over 100 miles... it's about 73 miles for me (but I start and end in Whittier, so a lot less than what you're about to do.)

Speaking of, i'll probably just doodle up and down SGRT on Saturday morning and then Sunday I'll commute from Whittier to San Juan Capistrano for my kid's soccer games, probably via Cannon Rd and Santiago Canyon to get some hills in since GMR is kerput for a while.
Old 09-05-12, 10:48 AM
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I would take Sierra Madre through azusa rather than foothill and then work your way down to foothill when you get to the GMR area.
^ This, definitely this! Foothill through Azusa is a nightmare, especially the bridge over the river.

Sat is a honey do day for me, Sunday I'll probably do a couple of figure 8's around Bonelli.
Old 09-05-12, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Genaro - couple things.

1) don't accidentally get on Coyote Creek. Take the bridge over so you can continue north on SGRT
2) there's a detour on the SGRT - you'll need to get off SGRT at 183rd, head west on 183rd to Palo Verde, North to Artesia and then East back to SGRT. It's apparently an easy detour. I would highly recommend you do NOT ride down into the river bed (although you can) simply because there is a lot of tire puncturing debris down there.
3) take care at the Whittier underpass - it's a skinny little dark tunnel.

I think the blind 270 lesper is talking about is where you switch from the east side of the "river" back to the west side at San Gabriel river parkway. Shift all the way down before you take the turn (so you'll go Whittier underpass, then Beverly underpass, then San Gabriel)

Obviously, there is water at the end of SART at those restrooms but there's also a little diner with an outdoor water fountain (I use it all the time and I'm still alive) at the terminus of SGRT in Seal Beach. Most of the parks on SGRT will also have water fountains but it appears to dry up north of Whittier Blvd. If you get off at Whittier and head towards the freeway, there's a mobil station there with a minimart (so it's extremely close to the trail) if you need any there.

How far is that? Has to be over 100 miles... it's about 73 miles for me (but I start and end in Whittier, so a lot less than what you're about to do.)

Speaking of, i'll probably just doodle up and down SGRT on Saturday morning and then Sunday I'll commute from Whittier to San Juan Capistrano for my kid's soccer games, probably via Cannon Rd and Santiago Canyon to get some hills in since GMR is kerput for a while.
Thanks Guys, for the tips. I think its close to 125 miles - I've already used my annual "wife bailout" card so I 'm going to have to pace myself well and hydate/eat well. : )
One more question. Will SGRT take me all the way to Santa Fe Dam ? I used to run there and know my way around and would like to ride up, around, and through to get to Foothill/Sierra Madre

Last edited by Genaro; 09-05-12 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-05-12, 11:34 AM
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure the SGRT goes through Santa Fe Dam. If it doesn't go through, it goes right next to it.

Found this online, it might help you.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...el-River-Trail

Last edited by psalm; 09-05-12 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-05-12, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by psalm
I'm pretty sure the SGRT goes through Santa Fe Dam. If it doesn't go through, it goes right next to it.

Found this online, it might help you.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...el-River-Trail
Thanks. Looks SGRT will dump me right at Arrow. Perfect. Santa Fe Dam used to be one of my favorite places to run.
Old 09-05-12, 12:02 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is water there, too. And maybe a chance to buy Gatorade, soft drinks and tubes if the guys hanging out with the baby trailer turned pit stop are there...

There is also water at Thienes and if you get off the trail, there's a little convenience store close by, too.

In other words, there is life north of Whittier!
Old 09-05-12, 12:03 PM
SuperGimp

Genaro, you can see the way I went when I rode up to GMR - note that I went the WRONG way (had to ride on a little dirt road for a bit) in that park by the dam going north, but got it right going south. There's a little guard shack looking thing at the end of the dam and the path starts back up over to the right (I missed it). Mix and match as appropriate

https://app.strava.com/activities/16750453

Of course, if you're getting off on Arrow highway you need to know none of this. And you're crazy. But yeah, you just cross over Arrow and head up to the top of the dam if you want to keep going north.
Old 09-05-12, 12:06 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by alicestrong
There is also water at Thienes and if you get off the trail, there's a little convenience store close by, too.

In other words, there is life north of Whittier!
Pfft, life north of Whittier. Indeed.

Where's the water at Thienes? Is it a water fountain or do you have to track down a store? That would be a pretty spectacular place for water for my riding requirements.
Old 09-05-12, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is or was a guy selling gatorade and coke at the end of SGRT by the damn as well.
Old 09-05-12, 12:35 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fountain right there...

...or the little store not too far.

Ja ja ja bike path sooo good..
Old 09-05-12, 01:34 PM
SuperGimp

Well, dang, I must have ridden right by it and not noticed. Thanks.
Old 09-05-12, 02:38 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Genaro...

The detour if you are going NORTH on SGRT is at SOUTH STREET...go under South Street and exit to the right just after coming up on the north side....go up to South Street and right/west on South Street to Palos Verdes ...turn right...go to Artesia Blvd and turn right...get back on SGRT and continue north.

The blockage is actually at the underpass/tunnel at 183rd.

Here is my Strava data showing me taking the detour (I went to the blockage first tho and turned around and headed back South to South Street to exit and take detour.
https://app.strava.com/rides/19847697

I do not recommend going down into the riverbed to ride for any distance as there is crap down there that you don't want to run over.

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 09-05-12 at 02:42 PM. Reason: correction to directions
Old 09-05-12, 02:47 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

You can also try this: Exit SGRT at South Street...go west to the other side of the river and get on that sides trail...go to 183rd and exit ...go west on 183rd to Palos Verdes turn right/north to Artesia ...turn right and back to SGRT.

You cannot go north past 183rd as the exit off that sides trail at Artesia is locked/shut

I tried that on Monday and found the exit on Artesia blocked.

Here is my Strava route from that ride showing my alternate detour:
https://app.strava.com/rides/20774162
Old 09-05-12, 10:06 PM

Bikes: Baum Corretto - Felt F1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the advice to avoid Foothill and take Sierra Madre - that will take you all the way to where GMR starts. At that time of the morning you will likely see a coyote or two North of Artesia on SGRT. portions of it are new pavement - its a decent trail. That is a one long ride. I'll be at soccer games all day saturday, woo hoo!
Old 09-05-12, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Green River Rd to PCH is a nice smooth ride; I will be doing the Griffin Park on Saturday and the San Gabriel River on Sunday if everything goes well I'm looking to ride 100 miles this weekend.

Last edited by Tank_67; 09-05-12 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Sig
Old 09-05-12, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Is artesia the scary narrow tunnel? Or the place where you have to dismount and walk across a bridge? My memory is hazy.
Old 09-06-12, 08:10 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
...or the little store not too far. . . .Ja ja ja bike path sooo good..
I'll have to try that sometime Alice ! I seem to spend all my riding weekends on mountain roads.

This weekend I'm off to Mammoth for the High Sierra Century. Planet Ultra cancelled the Eastern Sierra Double this year, so I'm riding HSC as a (kind of) substitute ride in the same (beautiful!) area.

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-06-12, 09:41 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I'll have to try that sometime Alice ! I seem to spend all my riding weekends on mountain roads.

This weekend I'm off to Mammoth for the High Sierra Century. Planet Ultra cancelled the Eastern Sierra Double this year, so I'm riding HSC as a (kind of) substitute ride in the same (beautiful!) area.

Rick / OCRR
Wish I were joining you, Rick. Take some awesome pix, eh?

Old 09-06-12, 11:12 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Wish I were joining you, Rick. Take some awesome pix, eh?
I will take photos Vic, but I'm sure I won't be able to meet your high standards of photographic/artistic creatiivity in the Eastern Sierras! That said, I'll see what I can get and post here if I get half decent results.

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-06-12, 01:27 PM
"Lo sceriffo"

Bikes: MOSER M82*Guerciotti SLX*UniVega Competizone (the Green Bike)*1974 Schwinn Stingray*Cannondale Hooligan*ItalVega Super Leggera*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Is artesia the scary narrow tunnel? Or the place where you have to dismount and walk across a bridge? My memory is hazy.
The scary tunnel is underneath Whittier Blvd.
Genaro: You can go underneath or over Whittier. There is a ARCO/Car Wash just east from there, pick up provisions there as that last section of that last part of the SGRT can turn into a death march if you didnt hydrate. Trust me. Also, pick up a NRG cd from the vendor at the car wash, if your into those kind of tunes.
Old 09-06-12, 05:22 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by Elvo
No...that is at Whittier Blvd.

The detour is to get around the 183rd tunnel closure.

If coming SOUTH get off at Artesia and go WEST to Palos Verdes...Go South to EITHER 1. South Street and go East to get back on SGRT (or) 2. Turn east at 183rd and get on the WEST side of the river...and go south to South Street...cross South St and go East to entrance to SGRT off South St.

If going North get off at South St. (after going under it) and go West on South St to EITHER 1. the entrance to the trail on the West side..which you can take North to 183rd...exit onto 183rd and go West to Palos Verdes, turn North to Artesia and turn East to get back to SGRT (or) 2. go west on South St. to Palos Verdes and turn North to Artesia...then turn east back to trail and get back on to continue Northbound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.