Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Soma MiniVelo: Arrived!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 06:33 AM
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I got the $750 deal from bikebiz -- to my surprise, it shipped (almost instantly) from SOMA themselves, here in San Francisco.

The box is marked 'made in Taiwan' but the bike was packed using pages from a July edition of Yomiuri Shimbun. Make of that what you will.

I was excited and surprised and stayed up late to assemble her -- nothing adjusted yet, but looks gorgeous to me!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bjorke_soma.jpg (63.2 KB, 132 views)
Old 09-06-12, 03:59 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing your ride impressions.

It's a handsome bike, and one of the only minis that I can think of that's going after the laid-back, country touring aesthetic. And at that price? Niceeeee!
Old 09-06-12, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very cool! I must have missed that Soma makes these. It doesn't fold, right? Still, would be awesome as a bike with a smaller footprint (errr... wheelprint? whatever...)
Old 09-06-12, 06:42 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike. It looks very classy in that color and with the leather bits. Congrats.

I too am curious to hear the ride report.
Old 09-10-12, 02:34 AM
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a heck of a time finding time for much riding -- because I was, umm, riding a different bike for the weekend. This morning I dealt with the last bits of prep - adjusting the derailleur ranges and adding basic accessories - and rode around town a bit. Smooth and sweet and as much as I enjoyed riding the Nano this is really in a deservedly-pricier class. The Tange steel frame is lighter, the components smoother. I'm getting use to the bar-end shifters, that's a new one on me. So far my only negatives would be personal-preference ones: I'd rather have presta valve tubes, and maybe a narrower saddle (this is intended by me to be a city bike, so a touring saddle may be just fine). These are incredibly marginal -- so far very happy. I'll start taking it for longer rides all this week.
Old 09-10-12, 06:58 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
You should be able to get adaptors to make schraeder holes into presta ones.

In retrospect, I probably would have prefered one of these to the Nano, but the price difference when I bought my Nano was 900$ (IIRC, the price on the Soma was about 1200$). $450 more would have made sense as the components are certainly nicer on the Soma; however, the stock components on my Nano are pretty much gone.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-10-12, 08:35 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Yeah, in retrospect I kind of feel the same way, although I'm not as taken with the touring look of the Soma, what with the bar end shifters, canti brakes, and longer stays, as I am with the road racer look of the Nano. I'll defer to Bjorke that the frame is nicer riding, although the Nano's butted cro-mo isn't total junk.