Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That be my age. Used to cycle a great deal in my 20s to early 30s, on mediocre machines, which meant I was probably in much better shape than I realized. Around Colorado Springs, CO, home of the Olympic Training Center hence athletes. Have not cycled in 25+ years. So purchased a Trek XO1 in late 2000 (after a total housefire that took everything incl a Bridgstone XO bike) and promptly did not ride it for the next 11 years. Finally, got fed up and mainly wanted to be outside and get into shape, so I started 6 weeks ago.

Am totally in to it. Having a fantastic experience. Started at 240lbs. Down to 227lbs and am will hunker down until I get to a reasonable weight. At first I was aiming to just reach 199lbs. But after reading several experiences from others, I may pursue an even lower weight. I derive much from everyone's stories here.

Main thing is this has been a great thing so far. I actually think my rhythm is not half bad for someone my age and weight. Am able to keep up with youngsters for periods of time. Not in a competitive way but in a communal way... is just nice to be out and about with other like minded folks. Was passed by what I am certain was a Pro who had all kinds of Colorado Springs Velodrome citations all over his gear and attire, and as he passed he gave a thumbs up. Stuff like that means a lot. Have only had positives from folks who encourage to keep at it. Same for here too. Nice to have a community of people to share these things with....

Onward.
Old 09-12-12, 08:24 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Black or Yellow?

Old 09-12-12, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To quote baseball great Satchel Paige, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"
Old 09-12-12, 09:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome from Parker. Good stuff!! Keep it up.
Old 09-12-12, 09:17 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welcome! Don't ask about wearing undies under bike shorts and you'll be fine.
Old 09-12-12, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Welcome! Glad to hear you are back into riding. Good luck with your goals.

Was good to hear of the rider giving you thumbs up!
Old 09-12-12, 10:43 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Good to have you posting with the rest of us. I restarted riding after having both hips replaced. My health is better than ever.

I used to see Pike's Peak out my front window and Peterson Field out the back. CS might be the best place to live in the world.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 09-13-12, 08:34 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Good to see another local C. Springs rider on the forum! If you see a gray haired, small beard wearing clydesdale rider on a black Jaims Coda Sport with a Large rack pack, running blinking lights in the daytime, that might just be ME Might pass you by on a rail trail one day, we like the Midland Trail from America the Beautiful Park to Manitou Springs quite a bit! Have a most excellent day! Might check out the Colorado Springs Cycling Club: https://www.bikesprings.org/ A nice bunch of all different types of riders!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 09-13-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Flip it and slam it.

Old 09-13-12, 05:42 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
you mile high guys are in better cardio shape than you think, you just don't live at sea level.

Keep it up.
reward the weight loss with a 2nd set of wheels - lighter w/ skinny tires
Old 09-17-12, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yellow, or as I like to say, Gold.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Black or Yellow?
Old 09-17-12, 01:41 PM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Congrats and welcome back! I went 30 years without riding. What a loss! No good excuse. Got on my MTB (because of the gearing) to ride to work in 2008. Did 750+ miles in 4 months. Lost 25 lbs. Still did not feel good as when I was younger. Was in good enough shape to get on my 72 Motobecane Le Champion that had been sitting in garages for that time. 3mph difference. 2009 was riding to work at 21mph and a uninsured motorist pulled in front of me. Done for the summer while bones and road rash healed which added up to $62K in medical bills. Replaced the Moto (bent up badly) with a 83 Colnago while the arm was still broken. Next year rode over 1000 miles while unemployed. Great diversion! Looking for a job kept me from riding more regulary as I was traveling across the country.
Am trying to settle down in DC but the summer was too hot (95+ w/70%+ humidity) for me to ride. I miss the great weather and bike friendly Portland Or area.
Old 09-17-12, 04:25 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find a lot of great info here. There are lots of "Clides" in the Clydesdale section of the form too. This is a great place to hang out. Good luck.
Old 10-26-12, 08:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very belated reply. Pikes Peak to the west and Pete field to the east. Yes. We are on the Westside so PP is very much in my view. A hop, skip and jump from here to Manitou Springs. I have a zillion routes to pick from, not the least of which being the Garden of the Gods.

Hope your hip replacements go well. My wife has had 6, yes 6 total joint replacements and she tools around just fine.

Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Good to have you posting with the rest of us. I restarted riding after having both hips replaced. My health is better than ever.

I used to see Pike's Peak out my front window and Peterson Field out the back. CS might be the best place to live in the world.
Old 10-26-12, 08:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I think I may have seen you, passed you that is, several times. Small grey beard for starters, very much in shape, you always heading uphill when I think I pass you going the other way (tho I earn the 'down' along Ute Trail is it?, after pressing 'up' from the westside to Rockrimmon Hills and beyond, before circling back down along the trail)... Anywayz, I think from your description that be you.

I do tool up the Midland Trail from America the Beautiful park after coming from whatever direction, but only need to go to Old Colorado City and home. I did take the Midland Trail, once, a few weeks ago, and got the only flat so far, so kinda soured me on that link.
Also, I will check out the CS Cycling Club too. Felt I needed to get into decent shape to keep up with people tho think I've been able to do ok... having lost 20+ lbs in 60 days. And good sustainability, most likely a legend in my own mind.

What should I bark if I think I see you next time? Are you a Clydesdale!

Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Good to see another local C. Springs rider on the forum! If you see a gray haired, small beard wearing clydesdale rider on a black Jaims Coda Sport with a Large rack pack, running blinking lights in the daytime, that might just be ME Might pass you by on a rail trail one day, we like the Midland Trail from America the Beautiful Park to Manitou Springs quite a bit! Have a most excellent day! Might check out the Colorado Springs Cycling Club: https://www.bikesprings.org/ A nice bunch of all different types of riders!
Old 10-26-12, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second set of wheels... hmmmm? Have to admit it is starting to cross my mind, slightly. Have lost 20 lbs but figure need to lose another 20 before it seems realistic.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
you mile high guys are in better cardio shape than you think, you just don't live at sea level.

Keep it up.
reward the weight loss with a 2nd set of wheels - lighter w/ skinny tires
Old 10-26-12, 08:55 PM

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Welcome! Don't ask about wearing undies under bike shorts and you'll be fine.
Hmmm, that was going to be my next question.
Old 10-29-12, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What kind of pie do you like?
Old 10-29-12, 01:55 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by drhiii
Ah, I think I may have seen you, passed you that is, several times. Small grey beard for starters, very much in shape, you always heading uphill when I think I pass you going the other way (tho I earn the 'down' along Ute Trail is it?, after pressing 'up' from the westside to Rockrimmon Hills and beyond, before circling back down along the trail)... Anywayz, I think from your description that be you.

I do tool up the Midland Trail from America the Beautiful park after coming from whatever direction, but only need to go to Old Colorado City and home. I did take the Midland Trail, once, a few weeks ago, and got the only flat so far, so kinda soured me on that link.
Also, I will check out the CS Cycling Club too. Felt I needed to get into decent shape to keep up with people tho think I've been able to do ok... having lost 20+ lbs in 60 days. And good sustainability, most likely a legend in my own mind.

What should I bark if I think I see you next time? Are you a Clydesdale!
LOL, well I'm not huge but I'm still a Clyde at 230lbs. I don't get up to the Rockrimmon area much, I do the Pikes Peak Greenway trail from Potter St. up past Criterium Cycles several times a week, usually ride up to Woodmen and then head down Corporate Center Drive as fast as I can, (lol, my lowly version of a time trial) back to Criterium and them back down the PPG, then head east to where I live at La Salle and Clemson, (basicly, Constitution and Academy). The Colorado Springs Cycling Club has everything from social rides to training rides so I'm sure you'll fit in. Hey, you've got a road bike, that's a step up over my hybrids so hook up when you can. My Coda Sport is my utility/everyday bike which is what I ride during the week, for the weekend I ride my "trekking hybrid", a Jamis Allegro 1 with the odd looking "trekking" bars. I also only wear "plain colored jersey's", unless it's a Club ride then I wear the club's 25th. anniversary jersey. Have a most excellent day!

Old 10-29-12, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Got kids your age!!!

Welcome to BF!