Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever ride a Dahon Bullhead

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-16-12, 09:13 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Has anybody ever rode a Dahon Bullhead? What are they like?

I'm asking because I'd like to ride in the winter, but the roads get pretty grimy, slick, and mushy here. I'm afraid my Brompton won't quite make it. Rather than going to a full sized winterized bike, I wouldn't mind keeping some fold capability for ease of commuting (and not leaving my bike outside). I was thinking that a Bullhead would offer me the capability to throw on fatter, even studded tires, if necessary, as well as offering more of full bike handling. (I suppose Speed P8 would work too).

Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-17-12, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super cute bikes (the Dahon Smoothound even more) but you may want an lower (or no) toptube in the winter. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ers-and-winter
Old 09-17-12, 06:14 AM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Xootr Swift: https://www.xootr.com/folding-bicycle.html
Old 09-17-12, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ozonation
Has anybody ever rode a Dahon Bullhead? What are they like?

I'm asking because I'd like to ride in the winter, but the roads get pretty grimy, slick, and mushy here. I'm afraid my Brompton won't quite make it. Rather than going to a full sized winterized bike, I wouldn't mind keeping some fold capability for ease of commuting (and not leaving my bike outside). I was thinking that a Bullhead would offer me the capability to throw on fatter, even studded tires, if necessary, as well as offering more of full bike handling. (I suppose Speed P8 would work too).

Any thoughts on this?
You miss this auction on eBay. It would have been a sweet commuter! Dahon Bullhead decked out with a Biologic Joule dynamo hub and light for the Portland winter commute.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Dahon-B...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 09-17-12, 01:20 PM

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden a Hammerhead, one of the most vivid cycling experiences I've ever had, but not a winter bike, not by any means.
Old 09-18-12, 03:05 PM

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a medium size Silvertip, pretty much the same frame but with thin tires and faster gearing.
It has a decent hybrid seating posture so it would be good for commuting.
I've ridden on flat grass with no problems but it is worthless in sandy conditions, but my tires are only 35mm wide slicks.

Since the Bullhead has 2" tires it might be OK for Winter, but I'd seriously get studded tires if snow and ice are on the ground as you mentioned.

It's not a small fold but I think the Bullhead would endure crashes almost as well as a regular diamond frame.
Since it has standard (short seatpost and stem) components there isn't any greater risk of damaging them in a crash.
When you look at a regular folding frame like the Dahon Mu or even your Brompton, I wonder how well that long stem and seatpost would endure constant crashing.

Last edited by ttakata73; 09-18-12 at 03:12 PM.