Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike shop dented my frame while working on the bike, what do I do to make it right?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Bike shop dented my frame while working on the bike, what do I do to make it right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany, 1991 Merlin Extralight, 08' Santana Tandem Sovereign, Co-Motion Espresso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dropped off my Santana sovereign at a local bike shop here in Gainesville to have the shifting looked at and to have some new cranks installed. They chased the shifting problem around for a few weeks (weeks…) and finally replace the derailer, derailer hanger and replaced the chains at my request. Long story short, they called me last Friday that the bike is ready and I picked it up that night.

I haven’t taken the bike out of the suv yet from Friday (was visiting my fiancé in Miami for the weekend) and driving down the road this morning I see the bike in the rear view mirror and I see all this distortion in the top tube reflection. Its no longer round but has been squared off by the bike shops bike holder. I assume they held the bike off the ground while fixing the shifting and were really putting a lot of torque on the thing. Now my beautiful bike frame has a square section right behind my seat tube.

My question to you is what do I do now? Am I justified in being very upset? I take care of my things and would never have grabbed a bike in that place while working on it..... I feel like its common knowledge to leave the front wheel of a tandem on the ground and have the back wheel off the ground by clamping the seat tube.... am I wrong?
Old 09-17-12, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
When I worked in a shop (back in pre-historic times), the rule was to never clamp onto a frame tube, always clamp onto the seatpost. If you didn't have enough seatpost exposed, then you marked the seat height with a piece of tape and extended the seatpost until you had enough. Sometimes if the customer's seatpost was too short, we ended up swapping in a cheap seatpost we had lying around the shop, just to hold the bike while on the stand. The manager said seatposts are cheaper than frames, or even than having the frame painted if we goofed up the paint.

I'm sure lots of folks will have different opinions on this, but just my $.02, I think they owe you a frame.

Last edited by WheelsNT; 09-17-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ti-tillIdie
...and to have some new cranks installed.
And, if you have to put more than a moderate amount of force on it, like for a really stuck BB cup, get the bike on the ground, on it's wheels, where it's designed to take the pressure. Is this pleasant for the mechanic? No, it's annoying because you're on your knees next to the bike. Did I "cheat" and lever up on a bike while it was in the stand? Sometimes... but if I had messed up the bike doing that, it would definitely have been my fault because I knew better.
Old 09-17-12, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man sorry to hear that.
Just curious - is your frame aluminum?
I just purchased a steel Sovereign from the original owner, who took very good care of it, and I believe I saw the bike clamped to one of the frame tubes (seat tube I believe) in his workshop.

I am purchasing a repair stand and am wondering where best to clamp this beautiful steel frame.
Old 09-17-12, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
They owe you a Santana frame repair/repaint or a new frame.
Old 09-17-12, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambetter
Oh man sorry to hear that.
Just curious - is your frame aluminum?
I just purchased a steel Sovereign from the original owner, who took very good care of it, and I believe I saw the bike clamped to one of the frame tubes (seat tube I believe) in his workshop.

I am purchasing a repair stand and am wondering where best to clamp this beautiful steel frame.
+1 on Seat post only.
Old 09-17-12, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS always clamps on the seat post as far as I know.

Sounds like a frame repair is in order but I don't think that these are the guys that you want to have do it.
Old 09-17-12, 12:45 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
+1 on Seat post only.
My LBS has several seat posts of all sizes next to their repair stand. They mark the captain's seat post, remove, replace with one of their dummy posts and wrench away. At home using my light weight Park stand I clamp in the stokers Al Thudbuster post and leave the front wheel on the ground. Never found a need to fully suspend the bike, but if I wrenched for a living I would want the bike at chest level - the LBS' stands are very, very heavy duty.
Old 09-17-12, 01:11 PM
certified vegetarian

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should definitely confront the shop about this. Unfortunately they might not give you money, but store credit. This recently happened to a friends Klein and the shop only gave him store credit.

Hopefully you can get this all taken care of, hopefully you can get a repair or money out of them.
Old 09-17-12, 06:45 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany, 1991 Merlin Extralight, 08' Santana Tandem Sovereign, Co-Motion Espresso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the bike shop and talked it out this evening (I was a pleasant as I could possibly be) and had given Santana a call before I went (who were very helpful) and the resolution is that the bike shop will be working with Santana to replace the top tube. In the future, before I drop my bike off at a shop I haven't used before, I might place some masking tape with a "don't clamp here" note on it.
Old 09-17-12, 07:31 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I went to the bike shop and talked it out this evening (I was a pleasant as I could possibly be) and had given Santana a call before I went (who were very helpful) and the resolution is that the bike shop will be working with Santana to replace the top tube. In the future, before I drop my bike off at a shop I haven't used before, I might place some masking tape with a "don't clamp here" note on it.
Given the circumstances that's a very good outcome. You obviously handled this well and the bike shop seems to be owned by a stand up individual. Hopefully, you won't be out your tandem ride for too long.
Old 09-17-12, 07:44 PM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
PM me if you would. I'd like to know the shop name as I have found a squared off seat tube - and the bike has only been to a shop in Gainesville. Minor in this case, but they need to know if it is a problem with a mechanic or one of their stands so they can rectify it in the future. They were a great shop otherwise and they'd appreciate knowing this if it is a pattern.
Old 09-18-12, 02:33 AM
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Another reason to do your own wrenching.
Old 09-18-12, 02:37 AM

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. On the rare occasions I've had bike shops do work, they have consistently taken the opportunity to screw something up. It's not that I do everything perfectly, but when it goes wrong I generally see it immediately and put it right. In the long run it's better to spend on tools rather than labour.
Old 09-18-12, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still confused - is it possible to square off a steel tube w/ repair stand?
Or is this only a problem with aluminum?
Old 09-18-12, 02:22 PM

Bikes: a lot... mostly vintage, one vintage made of plastic, er carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrible news, glad to hear the shop is making it right.

I admit, I still clamp steel frames by the tubes (top or seat tubes), but carbon and aluminum frames on the seat posts. Never damaged a steel frame yet with a work stand (in over 40 years of doing my own wrenching on bicycles). I assume this must have been an aluminum Sovereign? I would imagine in a shop the mandate for seat post clamping only is because the vast majority of new bikes are carbon or aluminum.
Old 09-18-12, 04:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is aluminum. It would be tough to say if the same thing could happen to a steel bike but based on where they clamped it on the frame I feel many materials would have had some damage as well. It is just to easy to put too much torq on the frame when it's held where they clamped it. Even a few pounds of force when it's acting on 4 feet of bike as a fulcrum can turn in to some high forces when it's focused all in to one tiny area.
Old 09-19-12, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santana Visa TAndem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the early nineties, I purchased a Serotta Colorado II Columbus steel frame. The shop owner told me to get rid of the Thule upright car carrier that clamps to the downtube. He said that the middle section of the tubes, where there was no butting was expremely thin and would easily crush. I've always kept this in mind when using a workstand. I think that this is even more of a hazzard with carbon, because it can suffer internal damage that one would never see. Aluminum is bad, in this regard, because fatigue sets in when it is bent...it does not have the same resiliancy as steel.
Old 09-19-12, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Newbie/inexperienced tandem mechanic . . .
Good you called 'tana and hope shop has framebuilding experience!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
tandem smiley..gif (9.9 KB, 188 views)
Old 09-20-12, 05:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, by "working with Santana" I meant they will be shipping it there and Santana will be fixing it.
Old 09-20-12, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Great . . . 'tana will fix it and shop will pay.
Is that mechanic still working there or looking for another jpb?
Old 09-20-12, 07:46 PM
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another example of many I have heard about & seen, that is why I do my own wrenching & building of my Tandems my self. I never let any shop touch my Co-Motion or any of my bikes because of stuff like this..

Glad Santana can fix it & the shop will pay for it, but it's still a pain to deal with.

Ride Safe,
Bill G
Old 09-21-12, 10:38 AM
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am amazed that in this day and age any shop would clamp any bike by the top tube - let alone a tandem!

Even in my home shop, I have a stand that allows me to lock the forks (or dropouts) onto the stand and strap the boob tube (or bottom bracket on a single) to the stand. No muss, no fuss, and you cannot break anything.
Old 09-21-12, 09:55 PM

Bikes: Comotion Supremo, Trek T1000, Comotion Supremo Triple

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My LBS only hangs the bikes it works on from the ceiling. A strap under the seat and a strap under the stem. No Clamp damage. And the hanging height is adjustable. I have worked on many of my bikes in the shop and it works quite well. I have a work stand a home to compare this system to and actually prefer it.
Old 09-22-12, 08:42 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Fab
My LBS only hangs the bikes it works on from the ceiling. A strap under the seat and a strap under the stem. No Clamp damage. And the hanging height is adjustable. I have worked on many of my bikes in the shop and it works quite well. I have a work stand a home to compare this system to and actually prefer it.
No leverage though and it moves around too much for my liking. I prefer a traditional stand, just don't be an idiot and clamp the frame tubes!