Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Spanish DIY new member needs help

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-12, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

I have recently posted something in the general discussion forum and ahsposo told me to try here. So here you have:

Hello

I'm writting from Spain. I have just finished my registration on this forum as another one of the options that I can use in order to get what I want. And what I want is an 8" or 9" or 10" rear bicycle wheel. I mean an 8", 9" or 10" (the smaller the better) prepared for freewheel installation. I want to build my own small folding bike but my design cannot be improved without the rear wheel. I need it for dimensioning and, of course, for building. I have tried to many ways to get it but none worked.
Does anyone know where could I find this rare product? The Carry Me folding bike (Pacific Cycles) is a good example of the kind of rear wheel that I want. However they made it be manufactured only for them.

Thank you

Last edited by Bickerton; 09-22-12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-23-12, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you try ebay?

Edit: Could you get a rear hub from a 16" childrens bike and a rim from a baby stroller?

12 1/2" wheels are quite common if you find out where to look.

Last edited by badmother; 09-23-12 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-23-12, 03:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't find anything on ebay. Didn't find anything almost anywhere. I even got in contact with a chinese factory and although at the begining they made me care, at the end they told me something quite opposed and nothing happened.
About 12" wheels I am already thinking about the possibility but just because it is difficult to find what I truly want.
I already have a pair of 8" neumatic wheels. Don't know where they came from, maybe from an old wheelchair. The problem is that they are not prepared for freewheel installation. I want to use one of them as the front wheel.

Thank you very much

Help me, please!
Old 09-23-12, 06:47 AM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trying searching medical supply companies like AllegroMedical that sell wheelchair casters or industrial supply companies like NorthernTool that sell cart wheels. They will not be freewheel ready so you'd have to fabricate something yourself.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 09-23-12 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-23-12, 07:20 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This may seem a silly question, but if you are having trouble finding this wheel, how are you going to find tires and tubes for it, once you build and use the bike? or it going to be a display prototype only.
Old 09-23-12, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
Trying searching medical supply companies like AllegroMedical that sell wheelchair casters or industrial supply companies like NorthernTool that sell cart wheels. They will not be freewheel ready so you'd have to fabricate something yourself.
Thank you

I had already seen northernool.com. Didn't know about allegromedical and looks interesting. I will take a look at it and maybe contact them.
Old 09-23-12, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rex615
This may seem a silly question, but if you are having trouble finding this wheel, how are you going to find tires and tubes for it, once you build and use the bike? or it going to be a display prototype only.
Not a silly question. I would like to find the complete kit (tire+tube+rim+freewheel). Anyway there's a supplier of Carry Me (8" folding bike) accesories in Barcelona including tires and tubes. And yes is more a prototype than anything else. Is like a personal challenge.
Thanks for your participation

Last edited by Bickerton; 09-23-12 at 08:03 AM.