Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Glucose syrup?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Glucose syrup?

Old 09-24-12, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glucose syrup?

Some people suggest glucose syrup used as sweetener is very bad for your health. Is it true that U.S.A has too much corn production thanks to the GMO and they're importing it's by-products to the third world countries like us (Turkey). I read that there is a limitation in US and European countries but in our country this limitation is much bigger. We consume much more glucose syrup than average US or EU citizen. We have this thing almost in every packaged product because it's cheaper than sugar beet (white sugar). So i wonder if the Coca Cola selling in USA markets have glucose syrups or not? Ours have and we don't know the amount of it. I try to avoid these products. I don't buy any biscuit, cake, fruits and whatever that include this thing. What does everyone think about that matter? Please be objective in your comments.
Old 09-24-12, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am diabetic so I don't use the product. I think it is called corn syrup in the US and it is in many products. Some people say that this product is a health hazard. But since I can't use it I have not done much research.

Since this product is in so many US product, it is probably a safe bet that 98% of the US population is using the product. So take a look at the over all health of the US population and then decide if the product might be alright for you to use.
Old 09-24-12, 07:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, you're poisoning yourself as well as others. I don't know if i should be happy or not to hear that. I can't understand why people don't do anything about it. All of these artificial sweeteners, chemical food additives and GMO'ed vegetables which don't have any taste anymore. I can't believe how fool the human being can be. This is evolution in reverse. We should understand that we shouldn't play games with the nature. You can't fine tune a tomato. All of the scientists behind it are paid terrorists against the whole humanity. Hopefully this message stays here.
Old 09-24-12, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Glucose is not poison and if used for fuel while training is fine. For the rest of your day if you limit the intake of processed foods and eat lots of fruits and veggies you shouldn't have a problem.

I'll leave comments on fine tuning tomatoes to the tinfoil hat crowd.
Old 09-24-12, 10:06 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Get a grip. Your body runs on glucose. Your body has the ability to convert any carbohydrate to glucose (glycolysis) or even to convert proteins and fats to glucose (gluconeogenesis). Glucose is not "poison" in any sense of the word. It is the simplest of carbohydrates and thus a source of rapidly available energy that is also easy to store in the form of glycogen. As with pretty much everything, when you consume glucose in excess or in place of other important nutrients your health can suffer. As far as glucose vs. fructose, sucrose, dextrose etc. outside of minor variances in glycemic index, sugar is sugar is sugar. There is no health benefit or detriment in picking one or the other. Do you know the difference between the much maligned high fructose corn syrup and "real" crystaline table sugar (which BTW isn't any more "natural" than HFCS)? A 10-15% shift in the proportion of sucrose and fructose. "Real" sugar is not pure sucrose and HFCS is not pure fructose, both forms contain fructose, sucrose and glucose/dextrose just in different proportions and not as different as many people would suspect.

Portion and balance throughout a well thought out nutrition plan are the keys, not villanizing one form of sugar over another.

Geez, get yourself a Hershey bar, read a good biochemistry and human nutrition text, and rent a copy of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes", preferably the version narrated by Elvira. You'll feel better tomorrow.
Old 09-24-12, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HFC is bad for you. I don't care what people say.
Old 09-25-12, 01:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glucose itself is not a poison but we don't know what will be the long term affects of the glucose syrup derived from GMO'ed starch in our bodies.