Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Velo Orange Campeur (Touring) Frames - Another option...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

The Campeur, as the name suggests, is a touring bike for paved, or unpaved, roads. It can carry a substantial load for long unsupported trips, yet handles beautifully even with no load. In fact, it makes a nice gravel racer.

A little more detail at the Velo Orange blog.

Andrew
Old 09-26-12, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
"gravel racer"?

Chris does like to create an image.
I wonder about the longevity of the eyelets on the rear dropouts, look at how delicately they are attached.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...eur-frame.html

Last edited by LeeG; 09-27-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-26-12, 08:49 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
a cross bike with dt shifters.
I mean, I rode dt for years and years, but dont really have an urge to go back, especially not on dirt, nor in traffic (as I did all those years).
I like all bikes, this certainly has the retro look, right down to the drilled chainrings.
Old 09-26-12, 09:04 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Nice looking frame set. Great tire clearance and at $600 not a bad price either. It would make a nice tourer, but I'd do bar end shifters.
Old 09-26-12, 09:50 PM

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting this odd sense that a few of your don't realize it's just a frame set. . .
Old 09-26-12, 10:43 PM
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew, were you at Interbike? That photo was shot there. It looked to be a very nice frame/bike at a good price. I didn't spend a lot of time there and didn't pay attention to the quality of eyelets on the dropouts. They had another Campeur even more decked out with racks and bags as I remember, as well as a nice display of their products. It was a good selection of high quality parts for touring and town bike.
Old 09-26-12, 10:45 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
That is some ugly ugly brake cables. I just assumed they did 'em that way in the olden days becasue they didn't have a choice.
Old 09-27-12, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
pretty fork
Old 09-27-12, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It would seem to me, that if you are going to cast a dropout, it would have been a good idea to incorporate the eyelets with more meat around them just for the aesthetics as much as anything else. Those look like they have been brazed on to standard dropouts, which must add to the production cost and jigging.

I don't go much on the retro brake levers and cables either. Aero levers might have been a better choice there.
Old 09-27-12, 06:20 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It would seem to me, that if you are going to cast a dropout, it would have been a good idea to incorporate the eyelets with more meat around them just for the aesthetics as much as anything else. Those look like they have been brazed on to standard dropouts, which must add to the production cost and jigging.
no, they are obviously cast in. Those are a standard dropout, although I have never seen the version with eyelets before.
Old 09-27-12, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
pretty fork
Yup
Old 09-27-12, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan
It would seem to me, that if you are going to cast a dropout, it would have been a good idea to incorporate the eyelets with more meat around them just for the aesthetics as much as anything else. re.
I'm guessing it was an aesthetic decision to have the eyelets perched up like that but on a frame designed to carry a significant rear rack load it's the last place a few millimeters of metal should be missing.

Not offering a threadless fork simply reduces potential sales.
Old 09-27-12, 09:07 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Not offering a threadless fork simply reduces potential sales.
I realize that the dt shifters and brake hood choices are completely up to the owner, but I certainly agree on threadless. I guess they basically wanted this bike to have the retro look, and the stem certainly is a big part of the immediate look of the bike.
Old 09-27-12, 10:57 AM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think time spent worrying about the strength of braze-ons is pretty much time wasted. Brazing is a strong method of attachment, braze-ons rarely fail, and in the absolute worst case, if they do, it's rarely catastrophic and can be remedied with a p clamp.

While I agree that threadless is ultimatum the better system, there are enough people still enamored with threaded headsets that it does make sense.
Old 09-27-12, 11:11 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
considering that fork probably costs them less than $20 in bulk, they probably should have a threadless steerer option
Old 09-27-12, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
I think time spent worrying about the strength of braze-ons is pretty much time wasted. Brazing is a strong method of attachment, braze-ons rarely fail, and in the absolute worst case, if they do, it's rarely catastrophic and can be remedied with a p clamp.

While I agree that threadless is ultimatum the better system, there are enough people still enamored with threaded headsets that it does make sense.
It's not the strength of brazing or braze-ons that's in question but longevity of that specific eyelet given the very small area of attachment. A bottle cage or cable stop braze-on doesn't get the same loading as the dropout eyelet with 40lbs bouncing on it for months on end.
Old 09-27-12, 03:46 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
considering that fork probably costs them less than $20 in bulk, they probably should have a threadless steerer option
Yup. That's the first thing I noticed. There may be people who like threaded headsets but I doubt that you could sell too many bikes too them since they haven't bought a new touring bike since 1983.

I also noticed this "kickstand plate, because touring bikes should stand up" and then their picture shows a bike leaning against a fence
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-27-12, 05:17 PM
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the DT shifters, the wires coming out of the brake hoods, and the handlebars.
Old 09-27-12, 06:19 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd buy that bike just for the crankset.

However, the product is a frameset.... that reminds me of a Miyata 1000 with a French fork and fatty downtube.
Old 09-27-12, 07:09 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yup. That's the first thing I noticed. There may be people who like threaded headsets but I doubt that you could sell too many bikes too them since they haven't bought a new touring bike since 1983.
Rivendell does well enough for themselves. Maybe VO's problem is that they don't charge enough?
Old 09-27-12, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, one might prefer fewer retro features, but that is what VO does, sell stuff to retro grouches.

The eyelets are fairly standard, depends how good quality the forging is. Most drops on cheaper frames are pretty cheap affairs with obvious distortions. If this is as high quality as the look, there is probably little to worry about. Unless the eyelets are flawed, the bolts blow out before the eyelets. The whole eyelet assembly is undersized for the purpose, nice for fenders, not for racks. But the chosen dropouts are probably strong enough if good quality.
Old 09-28-12, 06:12 AM

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Baltimore and have been down to Annapolis several times to visit his shop. The frames are nice but not, in my opinon, up to the stress of long loaded tours. All the stuff is made in China but what isn't these days. This stuff has a cheaply made look that other stuff dosn't. The initial finish looks good but I am unsure about longevity. These things are built for looks not the long haul.
Old 09-29-12, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Has anyone actually had a properly installed rack snap eyelets? How much crap are people carrying that they're breaking these eyelets? I've never really been troubled by any of my 1" threaded bicycles either... and changing stems in either setup is still a bit of work. I'd take this frame over a long haul trucker myself if I had to choose between the two. Old school worked well enough back in the day and people like the look. It's odd that VO sells so many threadless stems that they wouldn't do the threadless option for this frame.
Old 09-29-12, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
There is now a guest blog post by Nicholas Carmen (who blogs as Gypsy by Trade) on packing the Campeur bikepacking (MTB) style.

The excitement to load my bicycle with expedition-grade racks and plastic waterproof panniers has waned, and is countered by a fascination with ride quality, rather than load capacity. My cycling interests have wandered off-pavement and over mountains, onto the Great Divide Route and the Colorado Trail, and a lessened load has become my best friend. A lightweight bike allows greater access to new terrain and reduces fatigue on both rider and bicycle. A smaller load equates to a lessened frontal face and an aerodynamic profile in headwinds or when riding fast. The bike is easier to lift over fences and rocky trails; best of all, it is fun to ride. With a quiet lightweight bike and larger volume tires, I can go anywhere.

More at Velo Orange.

Andrew
Old 09-29-12, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Funny how stuff that's been proven effective and functional for decades is now relegated to "retro grouch" status even here in the touring forum.

Those "braze-ons" aren't brazed on. They're part of the casting, and should be strong enough for anything reasonable.

And threaded headsets are easy to work with, easy to repair, last more-or-less forever (if you're using roller bearings) and allow easy stem height changes.

IOW, "new" is not necessarily "better". Which doubtless gets me written off as a retro grouch. *shrug*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.