Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lighthouse Century Morro Bay, CA - any teams here riding it?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 10:28 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are doing the metric. Will be our longest ride to date, and biggest test of Mrs hup's new Brooks Flyer.

https://www.slobc.org/lighthouse/index.html
Old 09-28-12, 08:34 AM
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're going to miss it this year Hup after doing it for the last five...we really enjoy that event and staying at the campground right there at El Chorro. We were surprised that they moved the start location and changed the courses a bit. I'm sure it will still be as outstanding as always because the SLO group really knows how to get it done... enjoy the ride. We're in Durango at the moment for tomorrow's Fort Lewis College Fall Blaze Century, so we're quite excited about this new event for us.
Bill J
Old 09-28-12, 09:25 AM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bill - I hope that you enjoy your ride as well.
Durango ... that's mighty high, isn't it? I might require onboard oxygen just to start that ride
I hope that you will give us a ride report when you get back.
Cheers

Henry
Old 09-28-12, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This will be our fourth Lighthouse 100K. Well, actually, we did 95 miles the first year. Henry, what are you riding? We're on a grey daVinci, probably starting out 0730. We booked a nearby hotel quite a few months ago so it will be a welcome change to be able to ride to the start.

Temps look to be fine and I'm very thankful we don't have the inland route to/from Cuesta College since a few years ago with a similar weather pattern it got very hot. Last year the temps were cool, but I got so much grit on my drive chain I had to junk it - cost of doing cycling biz.

Have a great ride.
Old 09-28-12, 08:08 PM
hup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Rick - we will be on our black Burley. Red bar tape and seatpost rack and trunk bag. Our intent is to start at 7:30 as well. We are in our camper close by to MB State Park. Planning on riding to the start. We will definitely look for you.

Henry & Mary
Old 09-29-12, 10:26 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well, the ride was great: cool temps, scenery as expected, good eats. The usual headwinds cropped up in the final 10-15 miles before the turnaround, but these became welcome tailwinds for a bit. Tons of friendly volunteers and the course is very well marked; of course they're ain't very many turns!

Henry, I missed your last post so wasn't looking for a black Burley. We left our hotel at 7:15 am and probably rolled by the HS just a few minutes before 7:30. We hit every rest stop and I think finished at very close to 1pm. Our moving time was 4:33. Stoker did a great job!
Old 09-30-12, 09:53 PM
hup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry we missed you. We didn't start until about 7:45 so we were behind you all the way. We tried to make sure to allow enough time at the rest stops to refuel. The vibe was great all day and the food was great, as always.
Turns out that our longest ride ever was probably the best time I've ever had on a bike.
We sure had a lot of fun.

Attached Images
Old 10-01-12, 08:44 AM
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats to you and the Mrs on your longest ride, you picked the right event because the vibe there is always so cool. I trust that new Brooks Flyer was satisfactory?
We really enjoyed most of the century ride here as well. Like you at SLO, we also had, great weather, support, scenery and people....just no beaches or elephant seals to look at It did get a bit long in the day for us though before we finally drug our tired legs up the final climb to the finish, however ...... we would do it again in a heartbeat.
Bill J.