Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are you a lonely cyclist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder how many of us ride alone while they would not mind sharing more rides with others.

For me personally, this has been a bit of an issue. When I was young I joined a club. Being the awkward ethnic kid with a bike that is "not even a real roadbike" I got bullied quite a bit. That was long ago, but I have been riding alone since then. It is only in the past 2 years that I felt like riding with other people. I am slightly disgusted with myself for still having a little fear of rejection when thinking about joining a club.

Are you a lonely cyclist? And if so, what is your story? Do you know of a good way to meet other cyclists?
Old 09-28-12, 07:11 AM
Nobody Special

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know.

I ride alone mostly, I don't really "work" daily so I ride daily when I want and it's convenient for me. I competed at a reasonably high level when I was younger which makes me a bit faster than most typical 'groups'. Yet as I am getting older makes it awkward riding with 'kids'.

The thing is though, it doesn't really bother me I guess. I don't really feel 'lonely' and I like that I can go where ever, when ever, how ever. On the other hand I wouldn't mind some company on occasion. The few group rides I do now become more of a social thing which oddly enough, is more like a day off from riding. But if I could find people really close to my level....that might be different.

I suppose I fall somewhere right in between.
Old 09-28-12, 07:16 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wish my wife would ride with me.
Old 09-28-12, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
No need to join a club. Many clubs and bike shops host open group rides, no joining or membership required. Check the websites of your local clubs and shops for announcements. Try a few and see which ones fit you the best. Like anything else in life, you'll find people who you mesh with and those with whom you don't. Don't sweat the latter and seek out the former.
Old 09-28-12, 07:40 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I think that until I ride with others, and then I'm thinking "I wish I was alone".
Old 09-28-12, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebuddha
I wish mine would, too, but she is obese and rides at half my normal speed If I could just get her to ride more than once every week to 10 days we could make some progress with that, but that has not happened yet.

I don't mind riding alone. I enjoy listening to tunes while I ride. I do ride with my daughter on the odd occasion (I need to get her riding more, too) and have a friend close by that I like riding with, but, heck, she isn't riding much either! Why don't people ride?! Haha...

I don't feel the need to join the local group mainly because (a) I don't need a bunch of other people to show me how bad of a rider I am, (b) I ride a flat bar bike and wouldn't be part of the main clik (i.e. looked down on), and (c) I'm not much of a social person anyway. Riding alone is a-ok with me.
Old 09-28-12, 07:58 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I prefer to think of myself as a lone wolf, a renegade, a man who stands alone against all the dangers a motorized world can throw at him. Defending stop as yield, red light as stop sign, and take the lane laws. I ride alone because the path I follow few have the fortitude to journey.
Old 09-28-12, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iheartbacon
I prefer to think of myself as a lone wolf, a renegade, a man who stands alone against all the dangers a motorized world can throw at him. Defending stop as yield, red light as stop sign, and take the lane laws. I ride alone because the path I follow few have the fortitude to journey.
What he said. Actually I prefer to suffer alone. There are a few group rides around, just haven't hooked up with them.
Old 09-28-12, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Here's to the one-man-wolfpack!
Old 09-28-12, 08:28 AM

Bikes: My fun bike is my 2011 Diamondback Outlook, Mountain Bike with Hybird tires (26x1.5) I also have a 1965 Sears 3 Speed Cruiser in great condition, my wife has a Huffy - My +1 is a 26" Shimano Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a mask so I can be the Lone Ridder!
Old 09-28-12, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Originally Posted by Datsun Nut
I need a mask so I can be the Lone Ridder!
What do you get rid of?
Old 09-28-12, 08:52 AM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's a difference in being alone and in being lonely. Do I sometimes wish for a companion? Of course! But most cyclists are roadies or otherwise interested only in doing Warp Nine while steering course 360. I want to see things, to discover the things I mightn't have seen, or even known about, had I driven to run that errand. So I poke along on my commuter bike with my trunk and my panniers every single ride, because you never know what you'll find and want to bring home. And sometimes even the deliberate errands (like the farmers' market run every couple or so of Sundays) are begun early just to give me that roaming-around time. Slow down. Sit upright. Smell the flowers.
Old 09-28-12, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Vaya 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personify your bike, it will then talk to you. Mine curses at me all the time now.
Old 09-28-12, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Gt Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another lone wolf here. I've thought about joining a group just because I feel safer riding in a group when I'm out in the road. But I'm not all that comfortable in social settings plus I have a hard time shaking certain stereotypes about club riders:

(1)I am not interested at all in racing or any type of competition. Yes, I have a road bike. Sometimes I want to go fast, other times I want to slow down and smell the roses. I don't do "training rides". I ride for fun and exercise, sometimes I even ride centuries, but when it stops being fun and starts being work, I lose interest.

(2) I don't get all caught up in the hyperconsumerism of bike culture. My road bike has sora and tiagra parts. They work fine. I feel no need to upgrade. Plus, commuter bikes, etc. don't seem to have this hierarchy of components which leads me to believe that expensive components are really only for the race crowd to delude themselves into thinking they can go faster "if only I had..." I don't want to get into a discussion about what wheels are crap, this tire is better than that, etc. I just want to ride the dang thing.

(3) I don't wear a team "kit" or any kind of matching uniform. I often do wear bicycle specific clothing, especially on long rides because I find it comfortable and practical. But I know nothing about the sport of bicycle racing so I find I have to worry that I don't inadvertantly wear a color that has some special race meaning (yellow?).

I do enjoy organized rides where I am essentially riding alone, but in a crowd of several hundred other strangers. That seems to be the best of both worlds. But sometimes I think it would be nice to find a low key group just interested in recreational rides without the pretense. There probably are clubs like that but it is hard to find them among the pervasive "roadie culture". Or at least I tell myself that as an excuse for not putting in enough effort to find people who are a good match for me
Old 09-28-12, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride alone 100% of the time, god
im so alone.
Old 09-28-12, 09:52 AM
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta
/snip/ thinking about joining a club.
You sound like a good candidate for joining a club. Investigate the clubs in your area and ride with a few different ones - all will have their own unique vibe. And keep in mind that you wouldn't be committing yourself to riding with them all the time. A lot of people just show up once or twice per month.

Originally Posted by Cookiemonsta
Are you a lonely cyclist? And if so, what is your story? Do you know of a good way to meet other cyclists?
I am not lonely but I often ride by myself out of convenience. However, I joined a group that I like and can always line something up or join one of the rides they are coordinating. Beyond that, you should say hi to folks at stop lights or on the path, etc...I've struck up many good conversations and have made good friends in this manner.
Old 09-28-12, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I think that until I ride with others, and then I'm thinking "I wish I was alone".
Exactly!
Old 09-28-12, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where do you live?

If you were in the UK you could join Sky Rides at GoSkyride.com and join their organised weekly rides.

There slogan is "Everyone's Invited" and you register with their website and then jut book on rides.

They are national and in most towns and cities.

Not sure how it works in the States tho.
Old 09-28-12, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll ride on charity rides a few times a year. I don't really ride with anyone.. in reality I feel more lonely in a group of people I don't know than I do when I'm in the middle of the country by myself.

The few charity rides I do a year make me appreciate the long rides in the country I do the rest of the time. I ride because I can pedal away any concerns and worries.. that doesn't happen in a group for whatever reason.
Old 09-28-12, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebuddha
This. But mostly, I like to ride alone.
Old 09-28-12, 10:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Took a few solo long tours , had to reach out to the locals , seemed to go OK
even though I was a foreigner in a country, with a non English language
on another continent.

Maybe if you were raised in a big family you feel differently..
Only-children seem more self contained .. (for better/worse)

I ride my bicycle home on empty streets, at closing time..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-24-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 10:50 AM

This thread is beginning to sound like a country song
Old 09-28-12, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
This thread is beginning to sound like a country song

I must echo the sentiments of most of the people above. I wish my wife would ride with me more - she tries, but isn't really that interested. I haven't tried to find a group because there don't seem to be groups for folks with flat bar/hybrid bikes, who are more interested in exploring than racing. I take my bag and camera when I ride - I really wouldn't fit in with any of the regular groups. Don't have the speed, stamina or interest in racing.
Old 09-28-12, 12:36 PM

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Me too, the few people who I've met either outclass me by a mile and I would just slow them down, or are so kooky as to be a real PITA to ride with. One dude thought it was fun to charge across a street on a red light just to see if he could make it, after a few of those I was "too busy" all the time to ride with him and adjusted my routes to avoid him.

I bought a bike carrier for the van and will load my wifes bike on it, she give me an hour's head start and we meet at a MUP around a lake about 15 miles form home. She can only go about 6 miles then complains about wrist pain and fatigue so it doesn't last long.
Old 09-28-12, 01:57 PM
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
^ this

Sometimes the enjoyment of cycling is the tranquility of being self focused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.