Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What important info should I know when visiting a bike store?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a new biker and recently bought a Jamis Allegro Comp and am taking it to a bike store to get it put together. Is there anything I should specifically request at the store? Is there anything I should get besides a helmet and good lock?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-12, 05:47 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Specialized Crux, Specialized Carve

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you just buy a bike from the shop in the first place?
Old 09-30-12, 06:02 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Have to agree that it's best if you don't know how to properly assemble the bike yourself that you take advantage of the many benefits you get from buying a bike from a shop that assembles it. Any good one will take full responsibilty for making sure it works well for you, and will give you more related advice than if you walk off the street for an assembly of someone else's bike. If they don't do so then talking to the manufacturer's customer service department tends to fix that quickly.

That being said the FIRST thing you need to check is whether the Jamis warrantee/guarantee applies in full to a bike assembled by a non-Jamis dealer, and specifically by the shop you choose. If not you have let yourself in for a large potential headache if something goes wrong that could be tied to improper assembly.

In my opinion a quality shop should have a list of what needs to be done during an assembly ask if they have one. If not you need to get a reasonably detailed list of what will be done. Critical items: adjustment of all bearings, tightening of all secured items to proper torque, truing of wheels to include proper tensioning to spec, lubrication at all appropriate points, correct sizing of cable housing.

Find out if adjustmenr period comes with the assembly and how long it is. Be prepared for a two tiered structure - on "it's yours now" and a higher "we'll take care of you for a while."

Lubricant: Read (please don't post another) the many lubrication threads here and/or tell them about your plans (mileage, fair or all-weather, all pavement or some dirt, etc and get their ideas.
Old 09-30-12, 07:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisbenji
If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you just buy a bike from the shop in the first place?
Someone else bought it for me.
Old 09-30-12, 07:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Have to agree that it's best if you don't know how to properly assemble the bike yourself that you take advantage of the many benefits you get from buying a bike from a shop that assembles it. Any good one will take full responsibilty for making sure it works well for you, and will give you more related advice than if you walk off the street for an assembly of someone else's bike. If they don't do so then talking to the manufacturer's customer service department tends to fix that quickly.

That being said the FIRST thing you need to check is whether the Jamis warrantee/guarantee applies in full to a bike assembled by a non-Jamis dealer, and specifically by the shop you choose. If not you have let yourself in for a large potential headache if something goes wrong that could be tied to improper assembly.

In my opinion a quality shop should have a list of what needs to be done during an assembly ask if they have one. If not you need to get a reasonably detailed list of what will be done. Critical items: adjustment of all bearings, tightening of all secured items to proper torque, truing of wheels to include proper tensioning to spec, lubrication at all appropriate points, correct sizing of cable housing.

Find out if adjustmenr period comes with the assembly and how long it is. Be prepared for a two tiered structure - on "it's yours now" and a higher "we'll take care of you for a while."

Lubricant: Read (please don't post another) the many lubrication threads here and/or tell them about your plans (mileage, fair or all-weather, all pavement or some dirt, etc and get their ideas.
Thanks.