Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

My "new" Donky.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

My "new" Donky.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My "new" Donky.

Some time back I discovered the Winthers Donky https://www.winther-bikes.com/pages_d...y_detaljer.php

On a bikeride in Denmark a year or two ago I accedently stumbeled upon one in a bike shop. We left it there thinking we could buy one later that day or the next day when arriving in Copenhagen. Mistake, we could not find the type of bike shop that would carry one with the limited time and energy we had left after the trip. Seing one lady walking with one did not help. Next time seing one was on the net. I think I followed a link in a Brompton forum/list and found descriptions of the trailer and the use of it by a happy owner.
EDIT: Here it is https://www.daclarke.org/AltTrans/donkey.html

Trying to find a shop that would sell me one was not possible, they would not ship it to me.

Then suddenly I spotted one on a local "craiglist", a person 1hr+ drive away from where I live offered one at approx £25,-. Did I buy it? YES. Brought it home today. it is not light and not really foldable so I can understand that they did not want to ship it.

Sellers pix:

The tarp/cower and the mesh "door" is missing on mine but I can fix both.

I really like that it is both a hand cart and a trailer. Easy to walk and works fine when taking it on the bus since it is sturdy.

Somebody who can bend and weld can make one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
W Donky1.jpg (66.3 KB, 44 views)
W Donky2.jpg (3.7 KB, 260 views)
W Donky3.jpg (68.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by badmother; 10-05-12 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it sort of looks like a modified garden cart! i love it! with the angled floor, it should carry
many different shaped things quite nicely- groceries, skeletons, dive gear.....
Old 11-04-12, 03:44 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ka0use
it sort of looks like a modified garden cart! i love it! with the angled floor, it should carry
many different shaped things quite nicely- groceries, skeletons, dive gear.....
Exactely! It is great for transporting the skeletons out of the closet.

We just used it to haul wet planks from behind a house up to where the car trailer was parked (I did not want to reverse the trailer down to the planks since there was 5-6 inches of snow an I was afraid of getting stuck). Used it as a hand cart that day.

Also used it for the dog. It is a bit small for him but that is also good becouse he gets support when leaning against the wall. Also he is protected against the cold wing when riding in it.

I just installed BA`s on it just becouse..

Also made the missing mesh "door" from a bread basket my bf had lying around. Looks and works good!

There are some new (crappy) pix on my phone, Ill post them one of these days. Also want to ask for opinions about wheels/hubssince I am looking for a fast way to remove the wheels (like when I want to transport it inside my tiny car).
Old 11-16-12, 05:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wanted to add some info about the Donkey (not Donky as I managed to spell it...).

The wire "door" was missing. Trying to buy a new one gave no response. The factory would not send stuff abroad, and the dk shop they refered me to did not bother to answer my e-mail.

Then my BF came to my rescue with this bread basket he picked up 15 yrs ago thinking it was too nice to throw away.

After butchering it (using a hacksaw since i destroyed my favourite tool, the angle grinder).

First testdrive with Anton (the bike) and the dog. No good picture of the mesh "door" yet.

Attached Images
Breadbasket.jpg (102.0 KB, 10 views)
Bread basket butchered.jpg (100.3 KB, 12 views)
Dog and Donkey.jpg (100.4 KB, 16 views)
Dog in Donkey.jpg (100.7 KB, 13 views)
Anton and Donkey.jpg (101.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by badmother; 11-16-12 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 07:03 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's nice. I converted a golf caddy cart to a tow-behind trailer similar to the donkey (but with much less cargo capacity) and I've been very happy with that type of trailer.