Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-12, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Painting

So my son has decided to ride a SS. At this point, We have removed everything from the frame and are ready to paint. Could anybody tell me what type of paint remover they have used and also what type of prep do i need to do before we actually paint. I would assume raw steel needs to be primed with something. Also, recommendations for paint brand? if there are some good sites to go to, please let me know. If it means anything, we live in Seattle. Thanks All.
Old 10-06-12, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Rustoleum spray paints (brushed on not sprayed) using Auto primer and then their standard paint for metal. But I am just painting to remove rust and cover up the metal for utility reasons.

The best thing for you to do is to bring the bike to a local place that does powder coating and they will sandblast the bike and then powder coat it with paint. This is a more durable finish and it is relatively inexpensive (around $100). There is one brand of powder coating that makes a reflective finish paint with retailer powder coating locations. When i get a bike powder coating I am going to find an outfit that uses this paint because i want the built in reflective finish for safety reasons. I dont recall the name of this paint manufacturer but if you do a search for "power coating" and "reflective paint" you are sure to find it.
Old 10-06-12, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dude asks for paint info and you try to sell him retro reflective powder coating.

Single speed paint is hard to find. You should ask in the road forum bc they have more options.
Old 10-06-12, 10:55 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Don't use trash. Buy nice paint. You're only going to have to do it once, so why use $1 cans of garbage. Use some nice ****. Same goes for primer.
Old 10-06-12, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guy's. I will have access to a spray gun so yea, no spray cans. Any tips on name brand paints? Started to strip the paint last night but am heading to the hardware store to look for a better product. Also interested in what type of primer.
Old 10-06-12, 11:27 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gageplate
Thanks guy's. I will have access to a spray gun so yea, no spray cans. Any tips on name brand paints? Started to strip the paint last night but am heading to the hardware store to look for a better product. Also interested in what type of primer.
Use aircraft stripper to remove the paint. Use the real deal, none of the citrus organic junk. Wear long kitchen gloves and do it outdoors. Wear long kitchen gloves and do it outdoors.

Wear long kitchen gloves and do it outdoors.

Wear long kitchen gloves and do it outdoors. If you're using a spray gun, go down to your local automotive store, and get some automotive paint, and ask them about primers as well.
Old 10-06-12, 12:11 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wear long kitchen gloves and do it outdoors.
reminds me of my first time...
Old 10-06-12, 10:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Nagrom. Got most of the parts cleaned today. Good idea on the auto store. Will head there in the morning and talk with the people.
Old 10-07-12, 01:06 AM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gageplate
So my son has decided to ride a SS. At this point, We have removed everything from the frame and are ready to paint. Could anybody tell me what type of paint remover they have used and also what type of prep do i need to do before we actually paint. I would assume raw steel needs to be primed with something. Also, recommendations for paint brand? if there are some good sites to go to, please let me know. If it means anything, we live in Seattle. Thanks All.
I have to agree with the fellow that recommended the powdercoat. I have looked at the option of painting it myself vs having someone else do it and I've tried to do it myself but couldn't get a satisfactory finish.

I would have just passed this thread without making any comment, but since you're in Seattle and I am too, I decided to butt in. Having a "gun" is all well and good but you'll need place to spray which is out of the wind, has plenty of ventilation, and is warm enough so that the paint cures properly. You'll need this space for some time (I would expect a good paint job to take several days, sanding between coats, and building coat upon coat from primer through clearcoat. The frame will also need to dry someplace for about a month.

Don't get me wrong, if you've got the time and the patience, you can get great results. But using high quality paints and doing it as an experiment could turn the project into one of great frustration. From the questions you're asking, where to buy paint, what kind, base coat or not... you don't sound like an experienced painter. (If you were, I'd expect you'd have connected with your favorite supplier and worked out the details.)

I just dropped a frame off at Seattle Powdercoat (they do lots of frames) in the Fremont region of Seattle and for $125 they will sandblast it, prep it to protect the bottom bracket and exposed tubes and bosses, and paint it in a single color. That's the price they gave me without the fork (mine's chrome) but it might be the same with the fork. You'll probably be into $75 in paint and supplies by the time you're finished with your spray, assuming you use quality paints, and the $50 question is, "How good a painter are you?" I'd rather know I'm going to like the paint job and spend the extra $50 than take a chance that I'll screw it up. The professional job will also enhance the resale value of the bike assuming it is better quality than your "home" spray.

Seattle has been getting chilly lately and the wet weather is just around the corner...
Old 10-07-12, 08:15 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
All that ^
Old 10-07-12, 08:46 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryinLA
bring the bike to a local place that does powder coating and they will sandblast the bike and then powder coat it with paint.
I would think a place that does powder coating would have enough sense to powder coat it with powder coat.
Old 10-07-12, 11:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Cale, We do have a paint booth area at work, but like you mentioned i am no painter. I work in south park and i know there is a powder coating place in our same complex. I think I will check them out monday. I will also call Seattle Powder coat. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-12, 05:46 PM
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've painted a few bikes in my time. Best stripper I've used is just Jasco aerosol. If the paint is real tough might take 2 cans for a frame and fork. Then you're talking a can of primer, paint, and clear, along with sandpaper to remove the original paint and sand between coats, and about a good weekends worth of work and nice hot temps to dry it. It ends up taking about $40-$50 and 8-12 hours of labor for a paint job that can look really good until anything touches it at which point it just scratches right off. I've never been able to get a durable finish on a bike even using high quality spray cans, and durability is really the key with a bike that gets locked to metal poles and scratchy chainlink fences and all that.

I won't paint a frame again myself at this point. I can get it media blasted by a place that does headstones for $20 and get it painted at Midas buy a guy on the weekend for a 30 pack of miller light. He usually manages to get a couple of small runs in tough areas, but for the cost it doesn't bother me one bit. Powder coat really is the way to go though if you can get a good deal on it.
Old 10-07-12, 10:09 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Windsor Dover

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I would think a place that does powder coating would have enough sense to powder coat it with powder coat.
LMAO!!