Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

LV Games Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 05:31 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
LV Games Video

Old 10-08-12, 05:45 PM
Tilting at Windmills

Bikes: More please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good Times!!!

The roads look the same here in I de Hoo.
Old 10-08-12, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of the snl skit with Michael Jordan as the first black Harlem Globetrotter.

https://www.myspace.com/video/3737906...aines/26119685
Old 10-08-12, 07:43 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the highlight reel! I learned a lot, including these two very important things about Ex:

1. Should you be blessed by the casting of his pearls before you, be not a swine.

2. If you are not on his team, and he drops into the IAB... you are in one big heap of trouble.

I am amazed, and truly grateful for the support and kudos I've gotten from everyone here. It's very motivational.
Old 10-08-12, 07:48 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice job guys. Our roads around here don't look like that.
Old 10-09-12, 07:29 AM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nice. You need a rear facing camera too.

I know the 5K TT course was point-to-point. Was the 40K road course 10K for each leg -- out and back twice for 2 laps? Or was it 5K for each leg for a total of 4 laps? I assume the 10K TT course was out and back on the same section of road that they used for the 5K TT. TIA.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 10-09-12, 08:03 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, the 4oK was 10K a leg. The 10K TT is normally straight out, but they polled everyone and decided to do it out and back as well.
Old 10-09-12, 09:06 AM
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Thanks for the highlight reel! I learned a lot
I actually picked up a couple of things I might have done a bit better also. It was interesting looking at the power file from the race too, I put down the best peak number for the year. I attribute that to all the MTB riding I did in the weeks prior. I need to get back to more force work and sharpen that tool.

Originally Posted by Cleave
Nice. You need a rear facing camera too.
I thought about it. But I'd rather spend the money on Ultegra Di2 for the Ridley
Old 10-09-12, 09:51 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe in the strength training. It did wonders for me.

Wind from the left? You seemed to be the only one in an echelon.

Was the guy you dropped unattached?

That course looked awful, but maybe that's typical Nevada. Dunno. I hope we get a real crit course in Cleveland.
Old 10-09-12, 11:23 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I believe in the strength training. It did wonders for me.

Wind from the left? You seemed to be the only one in an echelon.

Was the guy you dropped unattached?

That course looked awful, but maybe that's typical Nevada. Dunno. I hope we get a real crit course in Cleveland.
I thought the same thing. Also, the guy who was with Ex and AZT was spinning slow, IMO. He was good for one acceleration.

I am not a senior games fan and did one qualifier two years ago and was rained out of everything this year. They just cancelled the entire event for us and then made it difficult to get a partial refund. They said we should just go somewhere else to qualify. The enticing thing about the event was the course was 6 miles from our house so it was easy to do.

This year they cancelled the first date due to rain and rescheduled for the next weekend. Of course, that meant that racers had other plans and some could not make it. It was forecast to rain again and they cancelled that one based upon a forecast and it did not rain that day. I do not know their "rain" policy at the national level. And my experience may be a local condition. YMMV.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-09-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-09-12, 12:16 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure the state events vary dramatically. The guy running NV cycling was your basic enthusiastic volunteer - the guys you want to thank and not criticize - however he knew nothing about cycling. When Ex asked him a question about the road race, he said "road race?", then Ex said 40K and he said.. "oh yeah, the 40K." Apparently it is normally chip timed, but the guy who does that had a conflict this year (and for the next two years) so the organizer had to figure out how to handle that part. Fortunately for everyone, his daughters were tech-savvy, and one of them is enough of a cyclist to have the requisite tan lines. She handled the harder timing job when the finish was 3 miles away from the start, and she did a credible job, with spotters helping to let her know who was coming and if anyone was bunched. Bravo 'Gabby'. One guy asked me if I thought the results were good on Sunday, because he said someone who normally isn't nearly as fast as him and his friend had thumped them. That was the easier day, but who knows - they could have subtracted the wrong number of seconds from some people. I thanked the guy and his daughters profusely each day, because we all know how much we need folks like that.

From talking to some of the folks there, the Hunstman Games are considered exceptionally well run, and a really great time. 8,000 athletes. 400 cyclists. USAC sanctioned. HC, TT, RR, Crit. I was advised to put it on my calendar, and to make lodging reservations at least 6 months in advance. I think it startes today.

Huntsman World Senior Games
Old 10-09-12, 12:20 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
I thought the same thing. Also, the guy who was with Ex and AZT was spinning slow, IMO. He was good for one acceleration.
Yes, the wind was a bit offset, but too terribly much. The harder it blew, the more offset it was. People didn't really pick up on that.

The funny part of that video was when he was pulling Ex, and up on his hoods. But you have to give him some kudos on his strength. He pushed a lot of weight, and a lot of wind, and was up there trying to make things happen and stick with us.
Old 10-15-12, 05:35 PM
going roundy round

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

2. If you are not on his team, and he drops into the IAB... you are in one big heap of trouble.

Every time I saw his hands drop into the frame on the video, I cringed a bit for whoever was sitting behind him.

Congrats AZT.
Old 10-15-12, 07:45 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I know Ex is is strong and I know AzT is strong, but I didn't know how strong either of you really are. Wow. I am so impressed, amazed, and proud - of Ex for working for you, AzT, and of AzT for the win. Congratulations to you both! Now, I know Ex won't hug you for me, AzT (he said so), but consider that I did it virtually!
Old 10-17-12, 03:15 PM
Idiot Emeritus

Ex, the way you accelerated after the first turn around was just amazing. You closed on those two lead riders effortlessly. I have a feeling those fellas weren't slow, either. AzT did an equally impressive job with his attack, and then sustaining it after popping off of the front. I've watched that video several times, and it's clear you two were the class of the field.
Old 10-18-12, 09:34 AM
Resident Alien

Appreciate your comments. There were several strong riders in the field and while Jim showed he's perfectly capable of winning without a teammate, it also shows how a well applied plan and two guys working together can be a real multiplier.

It's not a bad teaching video from a teamwork and tactics stand point. If Jim doesn't mind I might put it up in the 33.
Old 10-18-12, 09:46 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't mind at all. I loved really executing a plan, and I'd haul my bike anywhere to race with you.
Old 10-18-12, 10:55 AM
Idiot Emeritus

I don't mind at all. I loved really executing a plan, and I'd haul my bike anywhere to race with you.
I'd haul myself anywhere to watch you two!