Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hey all! Keep snaping axles

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-29-12, 12:41 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 3700, 2007 DK General Lee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First post, site looks awesome.

Well, I have a 2006 Trek 3700. I keep snapping/bending the rear quick release axles. I ride dirtbikes quite often, so I enjoy rough trails HOWEVER my trek's cheapness is killing me. Is there a more rugged bike out there that I could get on a budget that has solid axles that can take more of a beating? Craigslist special? Or... can I replace my axles with solid ones? I know my bike is all show no go, cheap parts bottom of the line but there has to be another option or something I can do... local bike shop recommended a $2200 freestyle/downhill hybrid. SCAM.

Riding style: I do dirt road riding, very little tar ridding, lots of woods, single track, a few jumps here and there nothing serious.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-12, 12:59 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Dol you have a Free Wheel or free Hub?
If Free Wheel, you'll either bend or break them without much effort.

https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
Old 10-29-12, 01:12 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I suspect freewheel hub..

Freehubs have wide axle support.. if you are breaking those, you have problems beyond the scope of talk, here..

get to a Bike Shop.

Freewheel? rebuild around a Freewheel hub From California made
Phil Wood, in San Jose.or Pauls in Chico,, both sealed bearing hubs have very strong
axles..
I used a Phil FW hub on my Touring bike on many Bike tours with full camp load.

though on the cheap budget interim a solid axle and nuts are made matching the thread of QR ones
cant ride with you to know how hard you are on stuff.
you may be OK or trash those too..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-29-12 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 01:14 AM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Afrothunderkat
First post, site looks awesome.

Well, I have a 2006 Trek 3700. I keep snapping/bending the rear quick release axles. I ride dirtbikes quite often, so I enjoy rough trails HOWEVER my trek's cheapness is killing me. Is there a more rugged bike out there that I could get on a budget that has solid axles that can take more of a beating? Craigslist special? Or... can I replace my axles with solid ones? I know my bike is all show no go, cheap parts bottom of the line but there has to be another option or something I can do... local bike shop recommended a $2200 freestyle/downhill hybrid. SCAM.

Riding style: I do dirt road riding, very little tar ridding, lots of woods, single track, a few jumps here and there nothing serious.

Thanks!
Sounds like you'd benefit from a full suspension bike. Either that or work on your riding technique so you aren't landing those jumps so hard. I'd go with the second suggestion and see if it works for you. You could end up breaking rear axles on a full suspension bike for all I know.
Old 10-29-12, 01:18 AM
Banned

You could end up breaking rear axles on a full suspension bike for all I know.
well a cheap bike that only looks like it has suspension , there may be some truth ..
Old 10-29-12, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
HOWEVER my trek's cheapness is killing me.
The 3700 is a very cheap bike, no point in saying that it's Treks cheapness, a good AM MTB rear wheel will be the same price range as your complete bike.
Old 10-29-12, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do the Formula hubs have a freehub with the axle fully supported by bearings at each end?
Some cartridge bearing hubs place the driveside bearing inboard of the freehub, leaving a lot of axle hanging out unsupported, ready to bend and break.
All Shimano hubs have a fully supported axle with bearings close to the ends. They solved the issue of bent axles for tourists in the 1980s. I don't think you need to go all the way to a Phil Woods hub, any low end Shimano (eg Altus FH-RM30) will be fine.
Old 10-29-12, 05:14 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Well, I have a 2006 Trek 3700. I keep snapping/bending the rear quick release axles.
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Dol you have a Free Wheel or free Hub?
If Free Wheel, you'll either bend or break them without much effort.

https://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
A 2006 model bike is unlikely to have a freewheel. OP should check dropout alignment to start.
Old 10-29-12, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Afrothunderkat, Welcome to the forum.

Your 3700 is spec'd like my sister's Trek Skye. A really good and proven frame, but down market components that aren't really up to the task of rough mountain biking. You can have your rear wheel built with a Shimano LX or XT hub or look on the internet for a replacement wheel.

Learning how to "ride light" is also important, basically use your legs as shock absorbers when you land. What is your weight?

Brad
Old 10-29-12, 07:12 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A 2006 model bike is unlikely to have a freewheel. OP should check dropout alignment to start.
I don't know if that's right. A lot of lowest line bikes, even from well regarded makers, still use freewheels. It could indeed have a freewheel.
Old 10-29-12, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I don't know if that's right. A lot of lowest line bikes, even from well regarded makers, still use freewheels. It could indeed have a freewheel.
Indeed. freewheels abound at the low end of the market.
Old 10-29-12, 09:14 AM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 models of the 3700 all have 7-speed freewheels. To get a cassette you need to get the 8-speed 3900.

The 3700 is a fine bike for commuting and light off-road use. That is, cinder paths, fire roads, and maybe some slow and easy singletrack.
Old 10-29-12, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That bike is NOT a mountain bike in the sense that you are using it. Like others have said, it is designed for light offroad use like smooth gravel, pavement, streets that might not be paved all that smooth, that kind of thing. If you are doing jumps and rock climbs or downhill runs or anything remotely like that, you will kill the bike.

I also suspect that it has a freewheel and freewheels can hardly handle the stress of an abused bike that is being used for tasks far above its abilities. Freewheel wheels are fine for light duty use or smooth commuting but not for hard core mountain biking, otherwise you WILL break/bend axles.
Old 10-29-12, 09:56 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 3700, 2007 DK General Lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the responses, seems like I need a new bike as I purchased the 3700 when I didn't know much about quality components.

What would be a good budget bike? Common bike that I can find on craigslist?
Old 10-29-12, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you all for the responses, seems like I need a new bike as I purchased the 3700 when I didn't know much about quality components.

The problem is that the riding you are doing/describing doesn't bode well with cheap bikes. HOwever if you want to go the CL way, I would look for an older high end rigid/hardtail mountain bike from the '90s. Something like a Specialized Rockhopper/Stumpjumper. Those were pretty good strong mountain bikes that have nice sturdy chromoly steel frames and should have fairly decent components. If you wanted to buy new, for the riding you are describing, you would not want to spend much less than 1000-1500. Anything less costly but new will probably not be up to the task of jumping, rough off roading, etc. You mentioned your riding and said "nothing serious" but your riding does sound pretty serious.
Old 10-29-12, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts

Where are you? What's your local craigslist? How tall are you?

I really get a kick out of looking at craigslists across the country.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-29-12, 12:08 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The online retailers sometimes have entry level wheelsets with Shimano freehubs and decent rims for a good price. I got a set from Performance for $119 with 525 hubs and Rhynolite rims.

If the 3700 has a freewheel hub you might need to upgrade your rear shifter to an 8 or 9 speed and buy a cassette and new chain.

Or, you could just find the chrome moly steel solid axles that Niagara has and use one of those. It would still need periodic replacement. I personally feel a slight preload on the cone adjustment helps them last but some others seem to disagree.
Old 10-29-12, 12:42 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I would just try to find a used 7-speed cassette MTB rear wheel. If that's the only part that's breaking, you don't need a whole new bike. At least yet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-29-12 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-29-12, 01:21 PM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I would just try to find a used 7-speed cassette MTB rear wheel. If that's the only part of your bike that's breaking, you don't need a whole new one. At least yet.
+1. A new replacement wheel with an 8 speed cassette body (will need a spacer to make a 7 speed cassette fit) can cost less than $100. Since the OP has only indicated that he has problems with the rear axle, and not snapping forks and handlebars and seatposts, I would think the rear axle is the only part of the bike that is truly insufficient for his use.
Old 10-29-12, 01:53 PM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Just that in a 126 frame, there is extra axle width of 130 or 135 as standards now..
Cold-set, spreading the frame , makes wheel replacements with each puncture repair less of a PIA.

and dish is less.. wider is better..
Bike is from 2006. Very very unlikely to be 126mm spacing in that frame. Probably 135 mm.
Old 10-29-12, 02:33 PM
Banned

for hammering on Off Road, get a hardtail MTB which will usually come with a front suspension fork..

good bike will be starting, new at $500 at your Trek dealer,
since you have one that sold what you have.

Dual suspension, double that $..
Old 10-29-12, 02:44 PM
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I would just try to find a used 7-speed cassette MTB rear wheel. If that's the only part that's breaking, you don't need a whole new bike. At least yet.
Or you could get a modern wheel with an 8/9/10 freehub and put a 7 speed cassette and spacer on it.
Old 10-29-12, 02:53 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
I'm with thermionic and gsgt, just get yourself a nice wheel, or even wheelset +1 spacer + 7-speed1 cassette. Rim brake wheels continue to get rarer but are still around. I bend/snap solid or QR axles on 7-spd FW setups all the time, the rest of my almost-as-lowend Trek 4000 was up to the task, tho.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-29-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 03:01 PM
Banned

Having friction shifting and a newer cassette wheel
the 8th cog instead of the spacer filling in the width is another option..

sort it out when you take the bike in to the Bike Shop to have the dropout alignment checked.
Old 10-29-12, 03:06 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I agree with the above; your cheapest option is to spend maybe $100-200 on a rear wheel and 7-speed cassette (or 8-speed cassette, replacing one cog with a spacer, or just leave it on and know that one of your cogs never gets used!) Others at this forum are better qualified than me to talk about 7/8-speed cassette/derailleur spacing/compatibility.

For a CL option I would take a look at mountain bikes on your local CL for $200 and up. You'll want to aim in maybe the $400-600 range, or you can probably even do well in the $200-400 ballpark, but looking at the wider range will help you get familiar with what is better or worse than your target. Post some proposed CL links here, somebody will drop in, take a peek, and give you an opinion.

But I totally agree, $2200 for a brand new downhill bike? If you have $2200 to throw away, fine. But there are so many ads on CL that start with "I bought this really awesome bike and thought I was going to ride it a lot, but...". Don't be that guy, take advantage of that guy. Don't pay retail for a new bike from a store, pay half or less for a "new" bike off CL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.