Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike suggestions - for the wife

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 01:07 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm planning to take my wife bike shopping - she seems interested. She's on the short side - about 5'4", so I think 26 inch wheels would probably be a better idea. Am I right in thinking so? She wants a step-through, light bicycle - upto $500 or so. What options do I have? I liked the look of the Giant Via W series - but those are 700 wheels, and the bikes are heavy - according to the internet, almost 30 pounds.

I know the best option is to take her to lots of shops and let her try out a lot of bikes, but if I take her to too many shops she may lose interest - so I'd rather take her to a few shops with bikes that fit the above description, and see how it goes from there. If she likes one, good - if she doesn't, but seems interested enough to continue, we'll visit more shops.

Most of her riding will be on MUPs.

The Trek Verves and Shifts in that price range go right down to Tourney - dunno why - in that price range, my Specialized Sirrus cost $450 and it has Altus at least.
The Giant Simple 7 W looks interesting (though it falls in the cruiser category - but I'm not sure that is a bad idea. Should be really comfortable I guess).
How is the Kona Africa Bike 3?
Specialized Vita Step-through - same components as my bike, so I know it will be good enough - but the tires are 700x32

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-30-12, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My wife bought an Opus Nuovella this past summer.

https://opusbike.com/en/bikes/urban/urbanista/nuovella

... not sure it's available where you are, but Opus has some very nice looking, reasonably light, and nice riding bikes.
Old 10-30-12, 09:23 AM

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm looking for one for my wife as well... DON'T rule out the 700c wheels yet. My wife is barely over 5' tall, and we've found a couple of little ones that fit her.

Where are you planning on riding? If it's not bumpy, forget looking at anything with a suspension fork. It's just extra pounds that she'll have to lug around, AND the non-suspension fork will drop the front end a couple inches.

Specifically, look at the road-hybrids.

This is also a great time to look for the closeout 2012 models. We've found some amazing deals.
Old 10-30-12, 09:40 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, not looking at front suspension. What 700c bikes did you try? That Opus looks nice.
Old 10-30-12, 09:43 AM

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We're in the same price range that you are looking at. This is the one that we are most likely getting:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/colle...7_1_fx_stagger
Old 10-30-12, 09:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's another that we considered:

https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/stra.../cortina-dama/
Old 10-30-12, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree to not rule out 700c wheels. My wife is 5'1 (and a half if you ask her) and her old bike was 26 inch wheels. When she first rode the 700c wheels she felt a difference right away and even more after riding for awhile. She beleives the 700c wheels are more efficent and she is able to keep up better with less energy expended.
Her road bike is a Specialized Dolce and her hybrid is a Trek Skye.
Old 10-30-12, 10:22 AM

Bikes: lighting cycles phantom, p-38, and a bike-e ct

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that trek is the one my wife is getting and she is 5'3". she loved it on the test ride around the parking area.
Old 10-30-12, 10:47 AM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Also, don't rule out trike/recumbents for comfort and ease. If you're mostly riding on MUPs, that might be the ideal compromise. Also, there are some delta trikes that can be easily convert to tandem in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-30-12, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Also, don't rule out trike/recumbents for comfort and ease. If you're mostly riding on MUPs, that might be the ideal compromise. Also, there are some delta trikes that can be easily convert to tandem in a matter of minutes.
If only these were more affordable.

Old 10-30-12, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Custom GaryFisher Cake4 dlx, Easter PayDirt, 70's Diamondback BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, the 700c wheel size won't change the actual frame size, do to geometry changes.
Old 10-30-12, 12:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or folding bikes.. Brompton like most is 1 size.

Only Bike Friday has Sizes.. made in Oregon.
Old 10-30-12, 12:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of good suggestions in this thread, thanks! I won't rule out the 700c then - which is nice because that opens up a lot more options.
Old 10-30-12, 05:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Replying to myself - just noticed another bike mentioned in a separate thread that may be relevant here - Public C7.
Old 10-31-12, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caleb oliver
yea, the 700c wheel size won't change the actual frame size, do to geometry changes.
700c does change the geometry for smaller riders. The standover height is unaffected but issue of toe-clip overlap with the front wheel means that the top tube has to be extended or the headtube slackened to make space for larger wheels. At the rear, the larger wheel requires a longer chainstay. The result is a bike with a proportionally very long wheelbase which handles poorly compared to the medium sized version of the same model. If you shrink the frame size, you should shrink all the components proportionally, inc wheels.

5'4" is close to the boundary for 700c but could use either. Riders any smaller would be well advised to stick to 26" is decent models can be found.

The problem is finding a good, lightweight hybrid in 26". The marketing men assume that 26"= rugged=heavy so overbuild the bike. Terry Precision do a hybrid/everyday useful bike using 26" MTB size.
Old 10-31-12, 03:27 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
My wife's two favorite bikes are a Raleigh Colt and a Raleigh Twenty folder. The Raleigh Colt is a 17" frame with narrow 26" wheels, the Twenty has BMX sized wheels. The modern equivalent is the Bobbin Shopper. She has had a couple of 700c wheeled bikes in the past but did not like the derailuer gearing set up. She is much happier with the IGH. Eventually I plan to build her up a bike with 650b wheels, probably a Soma Mixte.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon