Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

7 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7 speed

About how I ride:
I will ride (crossing fingers) 3,600 miles this year. I ride paved roads 75%, Bike trail 15% and 10% gravel country roads daily. I consider myself a casual rider, who picks up the groceries daily, stops at cafe and shops. My general daily ride is 22 miles minimum.. I do not race and my average speed is 11-12mph. I have three Treks all for different reasons, the oldest is a Navigator that I put winter tires on. Next is also a Navigator that I cheated and installed a power assist, I have only used it a few times. The one I use the most I got this year 7.2 FX . I have racks, panniers, cell phone case, front bag, trunk. Ok way to much stuff kinda like a purse with too much stuff. I shift gears very little, I have one major hill to tackle every time I leave the driveway.
My question is I found a sweet looking bike, pink Public C7. I have everything I can order for it lined up, both front and back racks too. This is a 7 speed. Would this fit how I ride as described? Or is this too less of gears? I guess I think it would be cute, no real other reason to buy it, but also not wanting to get something that really is not useful, like the scooters, bikes,rollerblades.....piled in the garage
Old 10-30-12, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't shift gears a lot, check what gear combination you use to climb the hill, and if the new bike will be able to provide those combinations. Something like this could help:
https://www.gear-calculator.com/#

though I haven't thought about how best it can be used for your purpose.
Old 10-30-12, 03:34 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have lived with 3 speeds for years, walked a few hills too. My current city bike just got an upgrade from 7 to 8 gears to get me a lower first gear for the one killer hill. Wasn't necessary but the opportunity presented itself so when opportunity knocks...

See how many gears you currently use and go from there.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-30-12, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of us rode for years with five-speed freewheels and thought that was plenty. Many of us thought six was an improvement. Some of us thought we needed seven. Eight seemed like overkill, nine was a little silly and 10 was pure marketing hype. I still have a couple of six-speed bikes around and ride them occasionally. You're fine.
Old 10-30-12, 07:19 PM
W A N T E D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotta agree with the above statements. I also live in Michigan, and your riding terrain sounds similar to mine. I typically ride one of my 3spd bikes. I do have a 7spd that I use for grocery runs and etc. Very happy with either.
Old 10-31-12, 01:47 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Number of Speeds is different from the Gear Ratios.. I toured internationally
7 speeds wide set 13-32.. a 13-19 is also in 7 speeds but not wide at all ..

a 7 speed IGH is another story..
Old 10-31-12, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well thank you all for your imput. I have the order saved and will think about it a while.
Old 10-31-12, 05:50 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yup 5 get the job done, 6 if you want a "mega-range", too bad they don't really make 5 anymore.
Old 10-31-12, 11:24 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
With a range of 31-76", it won't win any races, but it should get you up most hills.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-31-12, 11:45 AM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ctg492
My question is I found a sweet looking bike, pink Public C7. I have everything I can order for it lined up, both front and back racks too. This is a 7 speed. Would this fit how I ride as described? Or is this too less of gears? I guess I think it would be cute, no real other reason to buy it, but also not wanting to get something that really is not useful, like the scooters, bikes,rollerblades.....piled in the garage
Honestly, it sounds like you already have all the bikes you need, but this one has captured your attention big time. Normally, I'd advocate restraint, but if you have the money and if it looks so sweet that you'll be motivated to ride more... then I'd go for it! If you want to be responsible to the environment and society, sell or donate one of your other bikes, particularly your middle bike that gets little usage.
Old 10-31-12, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
7 gears is plenty. I ride mostly on a 3-speed, on a bike which originally had a 6-speed setup. In general, you tend to get the same overall range with 5, 6 or 7-speed setups, just closer spacing as you add gears.