Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Redline Monster cranks.

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Redline Monster cranks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redline Monster cranks.

Are 3-peice tubular cromoly, Redling Monster cranks any good? I think they are because any crank made out of cromoly with a 22mm cromoly spindle has to be pretty tough right? What everyone else's opinions?
Old 01-28-05, 09:47 AM
My other Bike is a Custom

Bikes: Planet Earth Slam Frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! It Would be good. if you ride Street or Freestyle. but for dirt jumpers or racers I would perfer aluminun. But those are nice cranks for freestyle or flatland. Oh yea I added you to my buddy list!!!

Last edited by Justin Time; 01-28-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-28-05, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Solid AA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy cranks from a company that is in BMX for BMX, not for the profit.
Old 01-28-05, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, well two people say two different things about the cranks, so are they really good for street and flatland? I beleive you Justin Time, I'm just curious. Thanks!
Old 01-28-05, 12:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea they are good and I got a chromoly crank but it is cheapy and I been jumping 3-5' ramps and it NEVER broke the only problem is that if you got plasic pedals they will give out and bust off
so get aluminum or cromoly pedals.
Old 01-28-05, 12:39 PM

Bikes: standard sta-r ox mark4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont get them. just pay 50 bucks more and get a good crank like an odyssey or a profile.
Old 01-28-05, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well again someone says there good, while some say there bad, so I'll just have to see for myself I guess. Thanks alot!

PS.: Justin Time, I already have cromoly pedals. They're Fusion DX alloy pedals, and they're really good! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-28-05, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alloy pedals are aluminum not chromoly. Almost all pedals have a chromoly spindle, whether they are plastic, resin, or one of the metals. Nylon pedals are also almost indestructable if you don't grind and land on them, but they aren't as grippy.

Anyway, the price on the Redline cranks isn't bad, but Redline has had a serious quality control issue and customer service issues for several years now. They have gone from one of the best companies, to one that really isn't up to par with the competitors.

Now, for 80 bucks, it may be worth it to take that chance if you really need 3-piece cranks. But, going with Profile or Odyssey is a much better option if you are willing to save up for it.

Remember: If you have 1-piece cranks, your pedals will NOT work on 3-piece cranks.

I will never recommend aluminum for cranks as you don't see any weight savings with them almost ever, and they have the same problems that is inherent to aluminum with stress, breaking, and most of all, stripping out. Tubular chromoly is the only way to go, and Profile and Odyssey are leaders in quality and service.
Old 01-28-05, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BMXTRIX
Alloy pedals are aluminum not chromoly. Almost all pedals have a chromoly spindle, whether they are plastic, resin, or one of the metals. Nylon pedals are also almost indestructable if you don't grind and land on them, but they aren't as grippy.

Anyway, the price on the Redline cranks isn't bad, but Redline has had a serious quality control issue and customer service issues for several years now. They have gone from one of the best companies, to one that really isn't up to par with the competitors.

Now, for 80 bucks, it may be worth it to take that chance if you really need 3-piece cranks. But, going with Profile or Odyssey is a much better option if you are willing to save up for it.

Remember: If you have 1-piece cranks, your pedals will NOT work on 3-piece cranks.

I will never recommend aluminum for cranks as you don't see any weight savings with them almost ever, and they have the same problems that is inherent to aluminum with stress, breaking, and most of all, stripping out. Tubular chromoly is the only way to go, and Profile and Odyssey are leaders in quality and service.
Ok, thanks for telling me about the alloy thing. And yes I completly agree with you on the cromoly thing, I just don't trust aluminum. And I think that the Monster cranks will do good for me for at least a few years, and then if I need new ones I'll get them.
Old 01-28-05, 05:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with FlyBOy
Old 01-28-05, 06:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Time
I agree with FlyBOy
Thanks Justin Time, you're the first person to agree with me here!
Old 01-29-05, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
odyssey cranks have a lifetime warrantee, and i think profile does too
Old 01-29-05, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
warranty
Old 01-29-05, 09:34 AM

Bikes: I own 1 custom bike, and i'm to lazy to list parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Have had my Redline Monster cranks for more than a year now, and I havn't had a problem. If you have the money you shouldn't waste your time with that crank. If you can afford it you should definatly look into some Profile, Odyssey, or Primo(Powerbite) cranks.
Old 01-29-05, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmichaelx
I Have had my Redline Monster cranks for more than a year now, and I havn't had a problem. If you have the money you shouldn't waste your time with that crank. If you can afford it you should definatly look into some Profile, Odyssey, or Primo(Powerbite) cranks.
If you've had them for more than a year, and you havn't had any problems yet then why shouldn't I waist my time with them? I'm just curious why you'd say that. I know that Profile, Odyssey, and Primo are probably the best crank makers around right now, but they cost ALOT of money. And I know that you get what you pay for, but the Monster cranks are 100% cromoly, with a cromoly spindle so they should last awhile even if they aren't the best right? I mean the ones that came on my bike stock are good ones too, I just don't like the way they feel. They're probably even or less in quality to the Monster cranks also. So since I've already ordered them, I'll just have to get them on my bike, and see how it works out! LOL But thanks alot for everyone's opinions of these cranks, they've all been very helpful!

PS: Also since I got these cranks off of Ebay for $47, (normal retail price is $80) I think that they're definetly going to work for me for now!
Old 01-29-05, 11:36 AM

Bikes: I own 1 custom bike, and i'm to lazy to list parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLyBOy
If you've had them for more than a year, and you havn't had any problems yet then why shouldn't I waist my time with them? I'm just curious why you'd say that. I know that Profile, Odyssey, and Primo are probably the best crank makers around right now, but they cost ALOT of money. And I know that you get what you pay for, but the Monster cranks are 100% cromoly, with a cromoly spindle so they should last awhile even if they aren't the best right? I mean the ones that came on my bike stock are good ones too, I just don't like the way they feel. They're probably even or less in quality to the Monster cranks also. So since I've already ordered them, I'll just have to get them on my bike, and see how it works out! LOL But thanks alot for everyone's opinions of these cranks, they've all been very helpful!

PS: Also since I got these cranks off of Ebay for $47, (normal retail price is $80) I think that they're definetly going to work for me for now!
I said don't waste your time with them IF you can afford higher quality cranks. If 80$ was your budget then those cranks are probably your best choice.
Old 01-29-05, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmichaelx
I said don't waste your time with them IF you can afford higher quality cranks. If 80$ was your budget then those cranks are probably your best choice.
Oh ok, sorry I got that mixed up. And my budget isn't any problem, I just didn't want to spend all of my money on cranks. Besides like I said, I got them for $47, so I'm happy!