Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Rain Really

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-12, 12:55 PM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain Really

First ride coming up and of course the chance of rain is going up everytime I check the weather.

10 day forcast was 69 / 50 no rain
7 day forecast was 72/54 10% rain
now 78/59 60% rain!

So you have to get wet to start organized riding?
Old 11-06-12, 12:58 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
A little rain never hurt anybody, keep your feet dry and stay warm and you'll be fine.
Old 11-06-12, 01:15 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
If its worth doing, its worth suffering some. Watch them corners and count yourself HEROIC. Others stay in the comfort of their recliners, you are riding!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-06-12, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
60% chance is not that high. Of equal importance is the type of rain forecast, the timing and location. Wide spread morning rain is different than scattered showers is different than afternoon thunder storms, etc. I lead organized rides. I would almost certainly not cancel a ride due to a forecast of 60% chance of scattered showers, especially if they are less likely in the area where I will be riding. So many people I know don't pay attention to the fine print of the forecast and miss out on good riding.

You can look at something like The Weather Channel web site or Weather Underground the morning of to check the hour-by-hour forecast. It's not odd to see a 20% chance of rain in the morning that doesn't increase to 60% until well after the ride should be over.
Old 11-06-12, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
60% chance is not that high. Of equal importance is the type of rain forecast, the timing and location. Wide spread morning rain is different than scattered showers is different than afternoon thunder storms, etc. I lead organized rides. I would almost certainly not cancel a ride due to a forecast of 60% chance of scattered showers, especially if they are less likely in the area where I will be riding. So many people I know don't pay attention to the fine print of the forecast and miss out on good riding.

You can look at something like The Weather Channel web site or Weather Underground the morning of to check the hour-by-hour forecast. It's not odd to see a 20% chance of rain in the morning that doesn't increase to 60% until well after the ride should be over.
+1
Old 11-06-12, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A front is coming in that day, the high is 78 pre front 62 the next day. The listing is thunder storms, but I'll be there unless I see some major lightning activity, right now I'm less worried about the water and more about the 14mph wind.

I thought everyone said it was a rule that it will rain on your first ride?
Old 11-06-12, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy the rain, wish we has some in Missouri.
Old 11-06-12, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
So you have to get wet to start organized riding?
I prefer disorganized riding.

If it's only a 60 % chance of rain, I'd count myself lucky and hit the pavement (or trail). Do you know what the chance of rain is here for tonight? 100 %. Want to know tomorrow's forecast? 100 % chance of rain. And the next day? Well, let's just say it's going to rain every day for the next 8 months. And you have almost a 50/50 chance of staying dry!! Life isn't fair.

Watch out for things like wet leaves, paint, metal grates, and don't ride over them if you can avoid it. Plan on having less stopping power, and beginning to apply the brakes sooner - "wipe your rims down" by pulling the levers briefly and letting go before you need to stop, if you don't have disc brakes. Corner less aggressively than normal. Know that you have a hot shower and dry clothes at home.
Old 11-06-12, 04:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
A little rain never hurt anybody, keep your feet dry and stay warm and you'll be fine.
Yep, I finally figured this out. I used to worry about the rain, even when I'd finish a ride soaking wet from sweat (hmmm). As long as the feet and hands (and head to a very minor degree) are comfortable, being wet doesnt matter.
Old 11-06-12, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips Seattle. Yeah I haven't had to avoid anyone riding, that should be a new experience, at least till they pull away, or rejoin the shorter routes.
Trying to picture myself cornering less aggressively, I guess I could foot plant and turn.
Old 11-06-12, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Washington. There is a 60% chance of rain at any given moment here! I rode a double metric century and got rained on the ENTIRE time in the spring! Believe it or not, I actually still managed to have a good time doing it. So I say suck it up, get some wet weather gear and ride!
Old 11-07-12, 06:56 AM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
When it rains you gotta ride a little more carefully, and a little more defensively (it's harder for cage drivers to see), but it is definitely very, very enjoyable. The first time or two it seems like it's going to be uncomfortable or unsafe, but then after those first couple of rides in the rain you actually start looking forward to it. The only issue I have is it wrecks your clothing when you're commuting, but I learned to keep an extra set of clothes at work just in case. Getting wet on a ride? No big deal, it feels like running through a sprinkler when you're a kid!