Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Heart rate, too much?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Heart rate, too much?

Old 11-06-12, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart rate, too much?

I had a free hour in school today (yes, I'm a student). I decided to go in the gym because my training was called of yesterday by the club. I went on the stationary bike (which I know, doesn't simulate an actual bike that well) at 100RPM with a moderate resistance for 20 mins, and then 20 minutes on the treadmill at 13Km/h with a slight incline. 20 minutes (the end of my bike 'session') my heart rate was hovering between 193 and 197bpm with a heart rate monitor equipment that I trust. I've always been taught in GCSE PE/BTEC Sport that 60-80% is the max range that you should be training in, this for me was 95% for me. (220-15=205 max heart rate, 195/205*100 = around 95%). Is this a bad thing? I didn't feel out of my comfort zone massively, I would of judged myself at being in 75% range mentally. I had previously done some weights, but that was for a lesson and wasn't challenging weights (if this affects things). The transition between treadmill and bike were less than 30sec, I didn't want to rest, I just didn't fancy staring and the poster about gym safety for 40 minutes.
Old 11-06-12, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Lew.
I've always been taught in GCSE PE/BTEC Sport that 60-80% is the max range that you should be training in, this for me was 95% for me. (220-15=205 max heart rate, 195/205*100 = around 95%). Is this a bad thing? I didn't feel out of my comfort zone massively, I would of judged myself at being in 75% range mentally.
I don't know what all those letter are but 60-80% is a low range for anyone who doesn't have a heart condition. First of all your max HR is likely higher than predicted by the 220-age formula. That formula works for a population but many/most people have a higher max HR.

For now, you're best off continuing to train by feel. Your body will limit you before you reach any danger zones with your heart. Also, in a gym your HR is likely to be considerably higher than outside as you have much less cooling available so your core temperature will go up.
Old 11-06-12, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I've known that formulas regarding exercise/the body are never accurate exactly, and I didn't take into consideration the temperature. This just worried me slightly, I've always thought I had a decent level of cardio-fitness and was taught that my BPM should have been lower for how I felt at the time. I guess I actually was closer to 80% than 95 as the formula isn't entirely accurate.

Thanks for the info, I will certainly go by feel rather than HR percentages from now on. Appreciate the reply
Old 11-09-12, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 37 and I've seen mine hit 210. HR training works for some of the best athletes in the world. Just try to find the right max.
Old 11-09-12, 07:51 AM

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really need to get up to date with zones. I guess it depends on the condition of your heart and how much punishment it can take but I went on a ride today and forgot my HRM. It was a 0.8 mile 8% average with a few spots going up to 14% and I went pretty much with all I had. At the end of the hill I was dizzy, feeling like I was going to throw up and that lasted a good 20 minutes further into the ride. Anybody could have sworn I was drunk because I was somewhat swerving down the road and pedaling like a ******. I guess I toped my max which usually is in the low 190's. I'm afraid this could damage my heart. I did, however, break my PR for various segments...
Old 11-09-12, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I really need to get up to date with zones. I guess it depends on the condition of your heart and how much punishment it can take but I went on a ride today and forgot my HRM. It was a 0.8 mile 8% average with a few spots going up to 14% and I went pretty much with all I had. At the end of the hill I was dizzy, feeling like I was going to throw up and that lasted a good 20 minutes further into the ride. Anybody could have sworn I was drunk because I was somewhat swerving down the road and pedaling like a ******. I guess I toped my max which usually is in the low 190's. I'm afraid this could damage my heart. I did, however, break my PR for various segments...
Happy to see that i wasn't the only one like that.
I choose to lie down on the ground. The only drawback with my solution is that people passing by were asking if i needed help. One woman wanted to do CPR on me. Come on i'm just resting not dying
Old 11-09-12, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are healthy with no heart problems (possibly undiagnosed) you won't damage your heart no matter how hard you go.

So no excuses. Your heart is not going to explode. If that commonly happened to healthy people we'd never have evolved far enough to invent the bicycle- all our ancestors would have died the first time they ran from a predator.

220-age and the other max HR formulas are totally useless. Individuals vary way too much. Using a percentage of maxHR to get threshold is also useless as people vary there as well, not only due to genetics but with fitness too. You can change it quite a bit through training.

Better to do a test to find your threshold and go from there.
Old 11-09-12, 04:20 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
If you are healthy with no heart problems (possibly undiagnosed) you won't damage your heart no matter how hard you go.

So no excuses. Your heart is not going to explode. If that commonly happened to healthy people we'd never have evolved far enough to invent the bicycle- all our ancestors would have died the first time they ran from a predator.

220-age and the other max HR formulas are totally useless. Individuals vary way too much. Using a percentage of maxHR to get threshold is also useless as people vary there as well, not only due to genetics but with fitness too. You can change it quite a bit through training.

Better to do a test to find your threshold and go from there.
Over the years, I've had two confirmations of Greg's statement about MHR from cardiologists. However, if you have a heart condition, yes you can kill yourself with exercise, so that is a caveat. I used to always take a cold plunge after a sauna at the gym, reasoning that would be a good time and place to call 911. And I've always laughed at the little signs on exercise equipment at gyms, "If you feel faint or shortness of breath, stop exercising immediately and get help." Yeah, right.
Old 11-10-12, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the 'formulas' are total and utter useless for using a HR for a workout etc. What are the methods of finding your true MHR, or close to it? I'd be interested to know, I wouldn't use it for training, just something I'm curious to know.
Old 11-10-12, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Warm up for 30 min, find a good hill and climb at a hard pace (but something you could keep up for 20 min), once your HR stabilizes sprint all out until you puke. Your Max HR will occur shortly after you stop.