Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Random Thought Thread, aka The RTT (**possible spoilers**)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 07:23 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Wide wheels while still using normal wheels is an issue. I got a 808 fire crest last season cheap and it went on eBay that same day once we realized I couldn't simply just swap all my wheels in and out. Seems to be an all in kind of switch.
Old 02-08-14, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
My contis flatted every other mile after hitting 2000 miles when it (rear tire) still looked good and still had wear indicators. Maybe just horrendous luck. How many miles do you get out of a rear tire?
Maybe you had a tiny bit of glass or wire stuck in the tire that kept popping the tubes. I ride tires until I see the cords. No idea what mileage that works out to.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-08-14, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Wide wheels while still using normal wheels is an issue. I got a 808 fire crest last season cheap and it went on eBay that same day once we realized I couldn't simply just swap all my wheels in and out. Seems to be an all in kind of switch.
Some people mix and match, but I'm with you. I went from aluminum to carbon with two sets, I'll do the same for 11 speed/wide. Minimize the transition time.
Old 02-08-14, 07:48 AM
out walking the earth

Tried. It's not possible. Unless they're undoing the cable, rubbing on one is unstoppable on another.

We put quite a bit of effort into at the shop.
Old 02-08-14, 07:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of that is dependent on the brake calipers you are using and how wide the rims are. There are no standards for either. What did not work with your bike could very well work with mine. But that's just semantics. Avoiding the issue altogether is best.
Old 02-08-14, 08:06 AM
out walking the earth

maybe, yeah. I had a new firecrest 808, along with my old 404, and aluminum DA wheels. Together with 7800 calipers it was unworkable. Annoying since I got that 808 below dealer cost.
Old 02-08-14, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe someone needs to make a solid inline brake cable adjuster, similar to the caliper QR, that will allow quick caliper width adjustment, but with more travel.

Old 02-08-14, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm making it work with 7900 brakes - the 303 & 404 Firecrest CC to Kinlin 270 adjustment works with just the adjuster and moving one of the pads up/down. Still more of a PITA than I anticipated.

maybe, yeah. I had a new firecrest 808, along with my old 404, and aluminum DA wheels. Together with 7800 calipers it was unworkable. Annoying since I got that 808 below dealer cost.
Old 02-08-14, 10:08 AM
out walking the earth

A bit tough to do when taking a free lap to change a flat.
Old 02-08-14, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A bit tough to do when taking a free lap to change a flat.
Ah yes, good point. Hasn't happened to me yet.
Old 02-08-14, 10:52 AM
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My work-around was to build up a set of wide aluminum rims from bike hub store.https://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/162.htm They aren't a perfect match, but they're close enough you can get there with the adjuster.
Old 02-08-14, 11:05 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Maybe someone needs to make a solid inline brake cable adjuster, similar to the caliper QR, that will allow quick caliper width adjustment, but with more travel.
probably could get away with the same inline adjusters. it's just a screw mechanism.

maybe test it on the flats first, though. ;0
Old 02-08-14, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
What I didn't realize when I went to wide tubulars is that they're wider than wide clinchers.

The Stingers are 24mm at the brake minimum but tapered so they're really 26-27mm. I got those first and there was no way to get the brake to stop on the normal 21 mm wide clincher rims I had otherwise.

Even with the "wide" 23mm HED rims it's a full 5 turns of the barrel adjuster (Campy skeleton brakes) to go between the Stingers and the Ardennes. I suppose the Ardennes + would help, being 25mm, but I'd prefer a touch more clearance to the frame by using a tapered brake track clincher. I guess they're coming out now so I may look into that at some point.

There are workarounds, of course, but none that I can think of are ideal.
If Campy user - use Shimano/SRAM brakes that have a QR; the QR can be the wheel switching lever, the barrel adjuster fine tuner, and the brake lever has the actual QR. Of course the Campy calipers had the best clearance at the time and folks using other brands had to resort to filing their brake caliper to clear the rim. The extra QR would be ideal, super quick, easy to use.
If Shimano/SRAM user - Multiple inline adjusters, although it would be hard on a shorter bike like mine for the front brake.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-08-14, 12:18 PM
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Qatar spoiler *****

Super stoked with Taylor's performance.

Kittel dominated Cav no matter how he spins it
Old 02-08-14, 02:41 PM
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I flipped a lid today at another cyclist on a group ride...

So as we're descending after a climb we get to the bottom and there's a red light. It starts turning red so I slow down. As the light is red, there is a jogger with his dog that is jogging across. About 50ft back there's a Fred that started with us on the group ride that decides to blow the red light and cut right infront of the jogger. The jogger stumbles and runs into his dog then yells at the cyclist...I apologize for the Fred and head out after it turns green. At the rest stop(5 miles away) I made the following announcement.

"I am not trying to be anyones mom here, but try not to run red lights. Especailly if there is someone crossing the street, extra especially if someone is jogging across with their dog.". Then this Fred looks at me and says, "Don't try to tell me how to live my life". At this point the lid flew off the pot. I walked up and told him that he makes all of us look like aholes and waiting at a red light is is what he should do legally. He tells me I'm not his mom and I need to mind my own business.

I just about threw my banana, but instead I just smirked and went to refill my water. Rage level 11/10.
Old 02-08-14, 02:49 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
How old was this dude? Very childish.

Also imma try some Conti's. Thanks guys.
Old 02-08-14, 03:06 PM
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
How old was this dude? Very childish.

Also imma try some Conti's. Thanks guys.
Just one more vote for Conti black chili GP. Never Ever had issues. I will be trying vittoria just because I am bored next go around but not do to issues
Old 02-08-14, 03:13 PM
In the Pain Cave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So when I transition to wide wheels/11 speed in one swoop I am thinking of going campy. Love the idea and I have ridden campy before and enjoy it but the fact that most people don't use campy is kind of a bummer. Anyone experience issues with wheel trucks during races? hard to find parts etc etc?
Old 02-08-14, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thechemist
So when I transition to wide wheels/11 speed in one swoop I am thinking of going campy. Love the idea and I have ridden campy before and enjoy it but the fact that most people don't use campy is kind of a bummer. Anyone experience issues with wheel trucks during races? hard to find parts etc etc?
A couple of knowledgeable guys in the 41 (forget who) have said that Shimano 11 and Campy 11 are close enough in cog spacing as to be interchangeable. So a Campy 11 drivetrain could run Shimano wheels & cassettes.

Old 02-08-14, 07:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is true. Some guys are racing 6870 and 9070 with Campy wheels. A lot of people run Campy. Campy wheels in the neutral pit is common.
Old 02-08-14, 07:40 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
A couple of knowledgeable guys in the 41 (forget who) have said that Shimano 11 and Campy 11 are close enough in cog spacing as to be interchangeable. So a Campy 11 drivetrain could run Shimano wheels & cassettes.
Lennard Zinn agrees.

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-08-14, 08:29 PM