Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Sobering Event

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Sobering Event

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Sobering Event

Now that the major trauma seems to be well on its' way to being resolved it was time to take the body to the shop for some diagnostics. Went in to the lab a couple days ago for the specimen collection so the doc would have everything at hand for the meeting today.

He almost seemed disappointed when he told me he couldn't put me on any prescription medications. "Everyone your age is on at least one prescription medication, not counting eye drops" he said. Compared to what they were before this trauma evolution some are a bit out of whack, for me, but still well within normal. Glad something is normal, eh?

Then came the sobering comment. He told me this is my last prostate exam. No more PSA. No finger wave this time or ever again. I'm too old for that. They figure that the odds are at my age I will die with prostate cancer not of it.

Similar with the colonoscopy. I get one more because of family history. Without that I'm so old, in their view, there is no point in the screening.

Sobering...
Old 11-13-12, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
You're in your 70s I'm guessing and you require no meds? Kudos! Sounds like you've done well, and I suspect you chose your parents carefully.

Old 11-13-12, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No meds at your age, whatever that is, great!
Old 11-13-12, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Drug companies aren't gonna make bigger profits by curing people's problems. The aim is to get you "hooked" on some prescription for the rest of your life. [/OPINION]
Old 11-13-12, 08:50 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
Drug companies aren't gonna make bigger profits by curing people's problems. The aim is to get you "hooked" on some prescription for the rest of your life. [/OPINION]
+1 They don't actually "want" to find a "cure" for anything anymore... JMO
Old 11-13-12, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
All good things must come to an end. Enjoy today. It is all you ever have.
Old 11-13-12, 09:26 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good for you on the drug end. As far as the tests - my doc told me last time that the "protocol" no longer required the finger wave, although he did one.

I'm not due for a colonoscopy for 5 years, and by then I will likely be too old.

I recall that you are 2-3 years older than I am??
Old 11-13-12, 09:29 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by 009jim
Originally Posted by 350htrr
+1 They don't actually "want" to find a "cure" for anything anymore... JMO
This thread is likely headed for P&R and I would prefer it remain in the 50+.
Old 11-13-12, 09:42 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
In your 70s and no meds? You are on your way to triple digits. They're right. You won't die of cancer. You'll die from being shot by a jealous husband, after being caught in flagranti with the young wife... and three other ladies. At the age of 103.

Live long and prosper!
Old 11-13-12, 10:01 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Way to go! Nice for someone to demonstrate they can live without a boatload of medications.
Old 11-13-12, 11:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't do that good a job of picking parents. As of now chronologically I've outlived all my immediate family. Live one more year and I'll have outlived all of them. But, for me, the best mottoe has been Quality rather than Quantity. A good life vs. a long one.

Nothing against drugs when needed. I took a lot of narcotics after the accident for pain relief. Surgery took care of that. We can discuss drugs in another thread. For this one I'd like to discuss mutual motivation.

Yep, Denver we are about the same age. I'll be 76 a few days before Thanksgiving.

I wasn't kidding about it being sobering. Here I am a healthy person and being told I no longer mattered enough for preventive medicine. That I'm close enough to "the end" that it isn't worth the effort to do routine diagnostics. We treat our cars better than that.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 11-13-12 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 07:30 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Didn't do that good a job of picking parents. As of now chronologically I've outlived all my immediate family. Live one more year and I'll have outlived all of them. But, for me, the best mottoe has been Quality rather than Quantity. A good life vs. a long one.

Nothing against drugs when needed. I took a lot of narcotics after the accident for pain relief. Surgery took care of that. We can discuss drugs in another thread. For this one I'd like to discuss mutual motivation.

Yep, Denver we are about the same age. I'll be 76 a few days before Thanksgiving.

I wasn't kidding about it being sobering. Here I am a healthy person and being told I no longer mattered enough for preventive medicine. That I'm close enough to "the end" that it isn't worth the effort to do routine diagnostics. We treat our cars better than that.
I had an older Corolla that I wanted to trade in when I got a new car. But the dealer told me it was too old -- that I should simply donate it to a charity and take the tax deduction. I figured if it wasn't worth anything, I may as well keep driving it till it died: I drove that car for another 9 years and another 125,000 miles...

"Too Old" is an opinion based on a generalization. That kind of generalization did not fit for my specific automobile nor does it sound like it fits for you...
... Maybe you should shop for a new physician...

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 11-14-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-14-12, 08:10 AM
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Just because the doctor says you don't need one doesn't mean you can't have one. Ask if the psa test is recommended for someone expecting to live another 30 years and see what the answer is.

My dad never saw 60 and died of prostate cancer, I'm currently 57 and have good numbers. If the doctor or insurance say no to a test I might consider getting it done anyway.

Congratulations on your health, your next goal is to outlive that doctor.
Old 11-14-12, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere that the vast majority (like over 3/4) of men who make it past 75 (or was it 80) have at least an enlarged prostate when they finally reach the end but by the time it causes a problem a surgery is more likely to cause harm than a slow growing prostate problem. On the other hand (so to speak), it's not like a digital rectal exam costs anything, so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to keep requesting it for your own piece of mind (just tell him you plan on living another 30 years). I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about whether or not PSA tests have any value at all (too many both of false positives and false negatives to do much good), so if that's one less blood draw, so much the better from my point of view.

Old 11-14-12, 09:02 AM

Bikes: My fun bike is my 2011 Diamondback Outlook, Mountain Bike with Hybird tires (26x1.5) I also have a 1965 Sears 3 Speed Cruiser in great condition, my wife has a Huffy - My +1 is a 26" Shimano Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the PSA if it shows a possible problem they will do a digital exam anyway. So why do the PSA? (Although I do prefer a needle in my arm as to a finger in my @)

Anyway, Good for you, but I do agree with telling them you plan on living for at least another 30 years. If George Burns had asked for a digital exam I am sure they would have given him one, why would they not give you one?

Keep on riding, when I was 32 I was riding with a guy that was 65 and he kicked my butt. I hurt myself trying to keep up with him. Now at 52 I hope to be in your shape when I hit 60!
Old 11-14-12, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
D

Nothing against drugs when needed.
I'm just saying they can take my Androgel away from me when they pry the pump out of my cold dead fingers. Less than a week and I haven't felt this good in years. I may just ride my bike down to Five O'clock Charlie's, mingle with the motor sickle thugs, and get in a fight.

Old 11-14-12, 09:30 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
That is sobering thought . . . something I'd been considering even though I'm a bit younger than you are (62).

I was kind of hoping to go on like George's old Corolla . . . good for another 100.000 or so cycling miles!

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-14-12, 09:42 AM

Bikes: My fun bike is my 2011 Diamondback Outlook, Mountain Bike with Hybird tires (26x1.5) I also have a 1965 Sears 3 Speed Cruiser in great condition, my wife has a Huffy - My +1 is a 26" Shimano Folding Bicycle Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
robin_pow1.JPG (58.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-14-12, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Conservative financial planners assume we'll last til 95. Yes, seems a bit depressing, but cycling will give us a greater quality of life. I'd like to be as healthy as possible until then. Of course the new world of health care may only shoot for 85 as a more reasonable "standard".
Old 11-14-12, 09:57 AM
Banned.

This hit me hard this am as a good friend - one of our singers - had a stroke. The docs give him 2 weeks. He is 82 and diabetic, but was always in shape. 5 deaths in 3 weeks so far.
Old 11-14-12, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This hit me hard this am as a good friend - one of our singers - had a stroke. The docs give him 2 weeks. He is 82 and diabetic, but was always in shape. 5 deaths in 3 weeks so far.
'Tis the fate of every single one of us.

I knew a gent who swam competitively at the age of 84. He said you got to move up the standings simply by staying alive.

Old 11-14-12, 01:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The doc explained to me that from an overall point of view the PSA was just too unreliable. I did get a blood draw for one and depending on results I may or may not do something further. As for the manual exam: He confirmed what I've always thought. So much depends on the person who is attached to the finger that manual exams are not nearly the "gold standard" we have been told. Plus, unless the lower colon is pretty clean it is difficult for the provider to tell what is being felt.

THE KEY, to me, is to take responsibility for my own health. When I started doing that I realized that about 90% of the stuff that was labeled food and sold was not good for me. Also, that most of the recommendations for good health had at their heart either or both profit and not my good health. Then I spent a lot of time cutting through the snake oil surrounding health. I found that most medical providers and government folks in the business held a pretty low opinion of the general public. So, most recommendations are minumums rather than desired or even optimal.

In defense of medical and health providers I think this crowd would agree that most people would rather take a pill than do the work to be healthy. Given that background I'm not sure how much guilt I can place on someone for taking advantage of people's proclivities.
Old 11-14-12, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sobering isn't the word I would choose for reaching some age north of 70 and being so healthy that no meds and mininal testing is needed. Take pride in a life that was so well lived that you are in excellent health. Unlike our ancestors many of us make it into and past our 70's because of the excellent medical care and medicines that were not available one and two generations prior. So some of us should not be too critical of those who do have to make use of the medical system.
Old 11-14-12, 02:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Delmarva
Sobering isn't the word I would choose for reaching some age north of 70 and being so healthy that no meds and mininal testing is needed. Take pride in a life that was so well lived that you are in excellent health. Unlike our ancestors many of us make it into and past our 70's because of the excellent medical care and medicines that were not available one and two generations prior. So some of us should not be too critical of those [B]who do have to make use of the medical system[/B].
Not at all critical of those who have to use the medical system. I am where I am because the medical mechanics have been able to put me back together. What I suggest is that so many people don't do what they can with what they have. To them their well-being is someone else's responsibility. But, I separate those who have mechanical issues due to trauma from accident, enemy action, occupation, etc. and health, like diabetes, from poor choices.

An earlier posting reminds me of a relative who has had chickenpox and, according to current knowledge, is especially vunlerable to shingles. This relative has decided that a trip to the pharmacy to get vaccinated is too much; especially since the doctor didn't mandate the vaccination, just said it was a good idea. This person is not taking responsibility for themselves.
Old 11-14-12, 02:44 PM
Banned.

I guess I would be concerned that folks who "pat themselves on the back" for their great health decisions also realize that there are others who also have made the best health decisions possible, but, due to circumstances beyond their control, do have to take medicines. I cite - in particular - my own trigeminal neuralgia - and my wife's post-herpetic-neuralgia, both requiring Rx daily or we would both be screaming in pain 24 hours per day. And, the shingles vaccine was not available 7 years ago.

Also, my own atrial fibrillation - since cured by an ablation - something over which I and milllions of others have no or little control, but requires medication.

There are many other examples. Many with elevated blood pressure find that it is not responsive to diet, exercise or weight control, etc. It is a genetic factor that they can't control.

So, don't pat yourselves on the back too hard - you might break an elbow and require treatment and medication.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-14-12 at 02:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.