Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Masi Speciale build advice

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 11-25-12, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I stumbled onto a brand new Masi frame for $180 on ebay that I am looking to build up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/200795178773...84.m1439.l2649
I actually purchased this bike atleast a month ago and have been sitting on it since. I noticed that the paint is chipped on the seat tube. Can I just use some white nail polish or something to seal it up?

The frame came with the headset and seat clamp already so I wont be needing those.

Here's what I've been looking at so far

Wheelset: My lbs has orange velocity deep v's w/ some no name highflange hubs. He's including tires with this wheel set for $250. Jump on them? or get some from Velomine?
Saddle: Charge spoon
Handle bars: Reusing some old drops that I have
Cranks: Ird defiant? I like the chrome look to them. Open to suggestions. Also what arm length? 172.5?
Seatpost: Not sure yet
Bottombracket: Need help w/ this one
Stem: Not sure on this either. I know these can be somewhat personal because of fit reasons.
Brakes: Probably just a Tektro front brake.
Pedals: I was looking at the mks urban ones at retrogression. Will get some straps as well.
Chain: Just some 1/8 chain doesn't have to be anything special. I may have a used one here that I can use.

I think that's just about everything. I was mainly confused on which bottom bracket to get. The built Masi Speciale Uno comes with an FSA square taper BB. I could just get this, but since I am building this piece by piece I could get a better BB? Let me know what you guys think on that wheelset deal at my LBS.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-12, 12:47 AM
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
my cranks are 165 on mine, I still lean deep enough to catch it.
and i have a plain masi seat post, been meaning to replace it, but i have to many other bikes.

I have bullhorns so I have a different brake lever,
I have a none stock seat, a selle italia sl
dont talk about bar angle, my bars are not at that angle,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_MG_2159.jpg (84.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by c0urt; 11-25-12 at 12:51 AM.
Old 11-25-12, 07:51 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VertKurt
...Bottombracket: Need help w/ this one...

...I was mainly confused on which bottom bracket to get. The built Masi Speciale Uno comes with an FSA square taper BB. I could just get this, but since I am building this piece by piece I could get a better BB?
you need to get a bottom bracket that fits the bb shell on your frame & matches up with the crankset you choose - manufacturers & sellers give the specs

nice frame, good luck & have fun...
Old 11-25-12, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 2009 Masi Speciale Fixed LTD, 1993 Specialized Allez Transition, 2012 Cinelli Gazzetta (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make it look like this
Old 11-25-12, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ looks good. I was thinking about hacking one of my drop bars into bull horns. I would at least have a front brake on mine though just for safety. Is the bottom bracket 68m or 70mm? I cant get an accurate enough measurement and can't find it in the specs on the Masi website. If it's 68mm ill go ahead and get the 68x110 to fit the ird defiants.

Not sure I want to shell out the dough for the Brooks saddle. I'll try the charge spoon out for a while to see if it's a fit for me.

What do you think about the LBS deal on the Deep V's and tires for $250? Is it a good deal or get a wheel set elsewhere?
Old 11-25-12, 05:12 PM

Bikes: 2009 Masi Speciale Fixed LTD, 1993 Specialized Allez Transition, 2012 Cinelli Gazzetta (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ looks good. I was thinking about hacking one of my drop bars into bull horns. I would at least have a front brake on mine though just for safety. Is the bottom bracket 68m or 70mm? I cant get an accurate enough measurement and can't find it in the specs on the Masi website. If it's 68mm ill go ahead and get the 68x110 to fit the ird defiants.

Not sure I want to shell out the dough for the Brooks saddle. I'll try the charge spoon out for a while to see if it's a fit for me.

What do you think about the LBS deal on the Deep V's and tires for $250? Is it a good deal or get a wheel set elsewhere?
Nice. I got an IRD Defiant for my Cinelli. can't wait to install it. I'm pretty sure the BB is a 68, if you're not sure take it to the lbs and they can tell you for sure. I don't see why it wouldn't be a 68 bb considering the kind of cranksets that come with the masi's.
Deep V's laced to what's probably formulas and tires/tubes already installed seems like a decent deal. Where are you located? A lbs by me had an older set of deep v's laced to Dura-Ace hubs for 250, which I want to buy just to sell on ebay...
Old 11-25-12, 05:17 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Is the bottom bracket 68m or 70mm? I cant get an accurate enough measurement and can't find it in the specs on the Masi website.
The BB shell is 68mm, English-threaded.
Old 11-25-12, 09:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Az-Andrew I'm located in California.

As far as the deal on the wheel set I'm not sure if I'm digging the bright orange Deep V's. I was going for more of a, how should I say it, subtle look. A little bit less loud and more classy looking. Maybe I can get the LBS to do the deal on a different color rim.

Thanks scrod for clarifying the BB shell dimension. Sounds like I'm good to go with the IRD Defiant and any 68x110 BB. I'm going with some MKS pedals and straps and I'm set on a saddle. Still need a seat post and a stem that would work for my build.
Old 11-25-12, 10:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd suggest just a simple dimension stem, something around 80mm.
https://www.retro-gression.com/product/dimension-stem
And I would seriously seriously recommend a Thomson seatpost. If you settle on a brooks saddle or something with short rails, get a setback post. The thomson is the best ride ever, better than my carbon post.
Old 11-25-12, 10:28 PM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You aren't gonna notice a difference in seatposts.

Get whatever is cheapest (to a point). Go with this:
https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...djust-seatpost
Old 11-28-12, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! Thanks everybody. I'll update back here with some pictures when it's all built up.
Old 01-13-13, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it's been a month and a half or so and I just placed the order for everything I need. My intention when I bought this frame was to have a great learning experience building this bike up from scratch, but now that the parts are ordered I realized I may not have the tools to do this like I envisioned. I have tools like sockets and wrenches and what not for the maintenance of my car, but I know those tools don't include anything for the installation of a BB, crank, headset, etc.. I know from experience that tools can be quite costly are their any basic kits that include the bare essentials to build up a frame and that don't come with tools I may not need or use? Or should I buy them piece by piece if there are no kits? Thanks for your patience and help!
Old 01-14-13, 12:00 AM
moving target

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...96%83%E2%96%82
Old 01-14-13, 01:17 AM

Bikes: 1985 Vitus Carbone 3, 1982 Raleigh Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What wheelset did you end up getting?
Old 01-15-13, 01:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Orange Velocity Deep V's w/ shwalbe tires for $250
Old 01-21-13, 06:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I finally got around to building it. Had a good time and learned a lot, which was the point. I bought tools as I needed them. I still need to find some bar tape for the handle bars, but am happy with the way it rides.
Attached Images
2013-01-21 15.09.27.jpg (101.6 KB, 50 views)
2013-01-21 15.08.49.jpg (102.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-21-13, 06:51 PM
moving target

wow...those are orange
Old 01-21-13, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah not my first choice in color, would have liked a black traditional color, but it is what it is.