Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks B17 w/ Selle Anatomica Upgrade

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 12:21 PM

Bikes: litespeed blue ridge

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding a Brooks B17 for about 18 months now and I like it, but I've been struggling with some perineal pain. Definitely want to avoid that and any probs that might flow out of that, such as ED. I see that Selle Anatomica will modify your Brooks with their cutout and laminate for about 100 bucks. Can anyone here tell me if they've done that and if it's effective? If you have a Brooks Imperial, that will do, too, as far as whether the cutout relieves this particular problem. I was also wondering if just making sure you hydrate enough might help relieve any discomfort there.
Old 12-10-12, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 7100, Schwinn Sidewinder mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now you can get a new Selle Anatomica in any color except for black for $99. No need to sacrifice your Brooks. I got one about 6 weeks ago and I am finally comfortable on my bike. Very comfortable saddle. Love, Love, Love it.

Like your name by the way, I'm a Strat guy too.

https://www.selleanatomica.com/

Last edited by Luke V; 12-10-12 at 01:31 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 12-10-12, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd be reluctant to cut the Brooks. I'd be more inclined to get the $99 Selle Anatomica special and see if I like it. If you do, you can sell the Brooks. If you don't you can send it back of sell it.
Old 12-10-12, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a mid-80s Japanese Strat stolen from my van a couple of months ago. 25 years on it.

The Selle Anatomica that's on sale is for guys under 200 lbs. I'm about that weight. Also, am I right that the rail on the Selle is longer and doesn't require the setback the brooks does?
Old 12-10-12, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 7100, Schwinn Sidewinder mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, very long rails on the Selle. I'm a little guy, about 145 lbs.

I still have 5 America made Strat's, been playing them since '72. Love my Gibson semi- hollows too. :-) Bummer about your guitar.
Old 12-10-12, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Luke V;15035205]Yes, very long rails on the Selle. I'm a little guy, about 145 lbs.

100 bucks for the Selle vs. 95 or so for the Brooks upgrade seems more sensible.
Old 12-10-12, 01:56 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but if after several saddles, you still can't get comfortable, it might be time to go to the dark side.

Recumbents... We have cookies!

(In all seriousness, if you're happy what you're riding, keep riding it. If not...)

Cheers,
Charles
Old 12-10-12, 02:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlstrat
Had a mid-80s Japanese Strat stolen from my van a couple of months ago. 25 years on it.

The Selle Anatomica that's on sale is for guys under 200 lbs. I'm about that weight. Also, am I right that the rail on the Selle is longer and doesn't require the setback the brooks does?

I weigh 160 and they recommended the X. Planning on putting it on the Comotion.
Old 12-10-12, 02:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Slightly off-topic, but if after several saddles, you still can't get comfortable, it might be time to go to the dark side.

Recumbents... We have cookies!

(In all seriousness, if you're happy what you're riding, keep riding it. If not...)

Cheers,
Charles
I rode an E3 for 3 years and had no probs, but the Brooks, which I got for my birthday, was more comfortable overall. I pulled a hamstring shortly after I got the Brooks and, off and on, noticed some occasional perineal discomfort since. I think I was mashing some gears and that may be why I was having some issues, because when I switched back to the E3, things didn't really get better. So, it's possible that the saddles aren't the issue, but I've read that the Selle Anatomica is comfortable, even more than the Brooks.
Old 12-10-12, 05:20 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The only real cure for Perineum pressure is to have nothing touching that area. Some people don't have the problem but for those of us who do tilt, sag,whatever doesn't work. That is why Brooks came out with the imperial and why Selle Anotomicas are designed the way they are. Still I agree it would be better to get a Selle for $100.00 rather than cutting your brooks for $100.00. If your brooks is comfortable except for that one problem then a cut out will relieve that problem because the Perineum will be sitting on air not leather.
Old 12-10-12, 05:54 PM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I deal with perineal pain. I couldn't stand the B17. My LBS let me try an Imperial. I liked it, I bought it, the cutout definitely helps me.

Generally staying well hydrated whether I'm riding or not helps.
Old 12-10-12, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Varied and subject to change

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried 3 Brooks and I finally got a Selle and have only ridden it 3 times. Enough that I'm going to order another while the sale is still on....
Old 12-10-12, 07:19 PM

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I cut my Brooks. It was no big deal. Exaco knife with a new blade. I started small and whittled away till I got it right. Smoothed out the edges with a rasp and then sandpaper. I then punched holes along the bottom edge and laced it with a leather shoe lace. Way more comfy now. Still, I like my Selle better.
Old 12-10-12, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Considering the perineal issue, it amazes me that Brooks saddles have made such a comeback in recent years. Almost everyone I knew threw theirs away or put it on a town bike when nicer saddles that did a better job of supporting the body weight on the sits bones came out in the early '80s. I remember the awful perineal pain lasting well into the week after weekend centuries back in the '70s.

Do whatever you have to, but find a saddle that works for you.
Old 12-11-12, 06:43 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have ridden and enjoyed Brooks saddles since 1978, starting with a Team Professional. My R500 had a B17 on it and it is comfortable, for me (bold intended.) This is my daughter's bike( Betty) now and one thing she wanted was if the Brooks stayed with the bike or if I was taking it off. She gets the saddle, no problems, she rides the R500 a good bit when she is here and loves its feel and comfort. We deliver the R500 to her in Atlanta in mid-January. I am considering an Imperial for my CAAD in the future, but right now the Prologo' Kappa saddle feels fine.

Since the Imperial has a cut out why are they being modified by Selle and by those that do it their self? Is the Selle cutout different? I have not seen a Selle saddle so I don't know how it is built or shaped. Just curious, not trolling at all. The Selle promotion sounds like a pretty good deal, however as I understand it the Selle are in various colours, and not in black (my preference.) thanks for any information.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-11-12, 07:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
I cut my Brooks. It was no big deal. Exaco knife with a new blade. I started small and whittled away till I got it right. Smoothed out the edges with a rasp and then sandpaper. I then punched holes along the bottom edge and laced it with a leather shoe lace. Way more comfy now. Still, I like my Selle better.
Do you have a template for cutting it?
Old 12-11-12, 07:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took one step before deciding on a Selle Anatomica or a Brooks modification: I picked up a slightly shorter, higher angled stem. I'd guess it's a 30 degree angle. It raised the handlebar at least an inch, maybe an inch and a half. I rode 15 miles to work this AM and felt more comfortable. Let's see what happens.
Old 12-11-12, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill' Question: "Since the Imperial has a cut out why are they being modified by Selle and by those that do it their self? Is the Selle cutout different? I have not seen a Selle saddle so I don't know how it is built or shaped."

The mod is actually to a standard Brooks B17. You're correct that it wouldn't make sense to modify an Imperial.
Old 12-11-12, 08:00 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Do you have a template for cutting it?
Just as a cautionary note, Brooks strongly recommends that you do not modify their saddles with a cutout. They believe it weakens it and you risk having the leather collapse. At least this is what I remember in their letter to the editor of Bicycle Times after they ran an article on how to do the cut out. Wish I could remember the issue number to give you. Anyone else know it?
Old 12-11-12, 08:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Just as a cautionary note, Brooks strongly recommends that you do not modify their saddles with a cutout. They believe it weakens it and you risk having the leather collapse. At least this is what I remember in their letter to the editor of Bicycle Times after they ran an article on how to do the cut out. Wish I could remember the issue number to give you. Anyone else know it?
Probably explains why Selle Anatomica adds a laminate to the underside when they cut it.
Old 12-11-12, 08:40 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Probably explains why Selle Anatomica adds a laminate to the underside when they cut it.
Yes, I think this is part of the difference. As a side note, I've been very impressed with my Selle Anatomica on my commuter. What impresses me the most is that my commuter has me in the most upright position of any of my bikes. Hence, there is more weight on the saddle, and I have absolutely no perineal pressure/problems with it.
Old 12-11-12, 09:27 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
jlstrat,
Thanks for the answer, I realized just now that I misread the OP and mistook that they were ding the Imperial, he did not say that at all. I need to read things more carefully before making a fool of myself. My bad and my apologies.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-11-12, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
jlstrat,
Thanks for the answer, I realized just now that I misread the OP and mistook that they were ding the Imperial, he did not say that at all. I need to read things more carefully before making a fool of myself. My bad and my apologies.

Bill
Certainly the last place you'd have to apologize for that error. I make it more all the time as my eyesight fades...arrgggh! The humiliations of age.
Old 12-11-12, 02:45 PM

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re : The Selle-Anatomica that's for sale is for guys under 200 lbs.

jlstrat :

Actually both the Titanico (Rated for up to 190 lbs.) AND the Titanico X (Rated for up to 280 lbs.) ARE on sale for $99.00.

You have to click on the drop down arrow next to the Titanico that is for sale for $99.00
to show the Titanico X and then click on Titanico X to select (Just as you would do for selecting color preference).
Old 12-11-12, 03:06 PM

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ordered the Graphite Titanico X for $99.00. This will be my third Titanico X purchased this year!!! Only have the two bikes.LOL! (looking ahead to the inevitable N+1) Or to change the fashion statement on my fuji or trek.

Had purchased 2 others earlier this year when they were on sale for $130.00 (spring sale IIRC).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.