Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 07:51 AM

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Newbie Here

Though I have been back into cycling for 5 years with last year and this being the most active I have a few questions and need some advice.
This year I have ridden about 7000 miles. My wife and I tour and I do a lot of none touring miles. But the long distances rides are starting to get my interest.
So my questions are what are some ideas for training in order to do the longer distances? Also now that the weather is really changing what is a good routine on a trainer? BTW as for a trainer I have a Cyclops and justrecently saw some Spinervals videos. Good idea?
As for my bike. I just built up a '92 Serotta Colorado ll with Campy on it. I ride with a Brooks saddle.
Also signed up for the Ohio Randoneering newsletter.
Thanks!
Old 12-19-12, 09:35 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll find some relevant information in this recent thread. I would give you similar advice. Focus on one long ride per week and use the rest of the week for recovery and shorter, more intense rides. I know the weather sucks in OH this time of year, but try to get out there at least once a week. A cross bike or a mountain bike can be a good change of pace this time of year.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't try doing anything directly endurance-related on the trainer unless you want to go insane. Use the trainer for intervals and just try to keep in somewhat decent shape over the winter. Focus on losing weight if you need to. It's surprising what you can do with just one hour sessions if the intensity is high.

As the weather gets better, slowly increase the distance of that one long ride per week. Use that ride to build your endurance and work on your fueling strategy. I don't think there are any big secrets. Just ride long, recover, and repeat.
Old 12-19-12, 01:25 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
sounds like you would do fine without changing much at all. As far as the trainer goes, don't get so obsessive that you burn out on it. It's always nice to do things that improve your speed, speed cures a lot of ills.
Old 12-23-12, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I use to live in NW Ohio, now I live in New Hampshire. I can say get outside and ride. I'm riding 7 days a week, outdoor here in New Hampshire. Our weather is worse than yours, both cold and snowy and I still get out daily on the bike anywhere from 10-100+ miles. I just rode 134 miles on Thursday with temps starting out around 30 and the high reached around 41. Today it was windy, sunny and 30 for a high and by the time I get home I'll have in around 50 miles today. I'm planning for 100+ tomorrow. It's not to cold to ride outdoors right now. You just have to rethink and relearn how to handle the cold conditions and then you won't notice them anymore and you'll be able to ride all day long all winter long and it won't effect you any at all. I'm typically riding in cycling shorts and nylon wind pants, even down to 20 degrees F. You don't need much to keep you warm, you just need to ride to stay warm.

Get outdoors and enjoy winter, don't sit inside and complain about it. The only reason for seasonal effective disorder is people are too afraid to go outside and have fun this time of the year. Don't be a chicken...just get out there.
Old 12-27-12, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can use your trainer and some basic core work to increase your power output over the winter. (Carmichael (trainright.com) has some video training CDs if you're interested). Good luck on your adventures!

Last edited by Sekhem; 12-27-12 at 11:19 PM.