Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 11:44 AM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish Green
I think winter tires magnify the Suckiness of headwinds. If a given headwind sucks X amount on summer tires, it will suck 1.3X on winter tires. I don't have data to back that figure, but it sure seems that way.
You're right! I noticed the same thing, You have wind chill and now there's also wind suckiness!
Old 01-25-13, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It was the same frigid 18F this morning, but I'm getting used to it. The first day of this cold snap was brutal, but now I'm getting to enjoy it. It's the summer with 95+ temps and humidity I will truly hate.
Old 01-25-13, 03:02 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I hadn't planned to ride to work but my car broke down, and I got off the wrong stop on the train. I didn't think I'd want to ride in this weather, but given that I had enough clothing on, I was fine.

I didn't pedal downhill, though, because going too fast would have made too much wind and made me colder.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-25-13, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Hazards

Here's a new one for me:

I know the guy, and figure he either 1) didn't see me, or 2) recognized me and decided to go for it.
Old 01-25-13, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted in the snow today. It never snows here, so it was my first time. On my way to work, there was a fresh layer of snow on the roads. Riding on that wasn't too bad. People here get really scared and drive slow, so I was passing some of them. At a traffic light, one guy offered to give me a ride. I was only one mile away to my destination, so I declined the offer. A few times when starting from a stop giving high torque I felt some slipping in the crankarms. I think it might've been too much snow accumulating up or something. I didn't have any problems shifting gears.

On the way back, it was rather slushy and it looked like there was ice. I saw a motorist losing control at one point. I was riding much slower, and it felt a bit slippery at times at the rough hard snowy areas if you know what I mean. A couple times I felt like I was losing control. I never fell. I was using 23 slicks. I didn't like how the snow covers up the pot holes. I think it might be safer to ride in the snow for traction than the mushy areas where the vehicle tires go.

Last edited by Rimmer; 01-25-13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 10:36 PM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Nice day today, but my squeaky rear derailleur is driving me nuts.

It's fine in the morning, because my bike is clean then, but it always accumulates a bunch of grime during the am commute and squeaks like a pack of rats on the way home. I tried wiping it off with a wet paper towel before departing today, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
Old 01-25-13, 11:15 PM

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice commute today. I live in Seattle and I'm working on a project that is centered in Portland, OR. Once a week I load my bike on the Amtrak train and spend a couple of days in Portland. 5 Miles from the train station to the job site, 5 miles from the job site to the hotel. It's a lot better than driving 200 miles to get there and doesn't really take longer.
Old 01-26-13, 04:40 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my first snow ride on the commute home. Definitely more traction in the deeper snow on the shoulder. The bike got a little squirelly at points, but I made it home without any incidents. If I ride in the snow again, I definitely need goggles of some sort; the snow was like little daggers hitting my eyes.
Old 01-26-13, 06:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the plus side, I was enjoying our southern hemisphere summer! Not so good was the car door that swung open in front of me. Smacked my leg leaving a 15mm (~1/2 inch) deep puncture wound. Has now swollen up pretty big!

More positives though - bike is OK aside from a broken seatpost and I stayed upright (well, skidded along the road on my shoes...) so no other skin lost, luckily!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fat leg.jpg (35.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-26-13, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Well, no snow yesterday, no ice nor even rain freezing or otherwise. It was a letdown after all the buildup in the forecasts and in the office, schools closing and people working from home, meetings changing and so on. It was near 4.5°C and overcast, and I just put my windbreaker over my office clothes and enjoyed the ride. Strangely solitary ride.
Old 01-26-13, 11:03 AM
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hapul
On the plus side, I was enjoying our southern hemisphere summer! Not so good was the car door that swung open in front of me. Smacked my leg leaving a 15mm (~1/2 inch) deep puncture wound. Has now swollen up pretty big!

More positives though - bike is OK aside from a broken seatpost and I stayed upright (well, skidded along the road on my shoes...) so no other skin lost, luckily!
Man, puncture wounds are vile. Heaven knows what bugs it injected into your interior. I hope you go get a shot of antibiotics, and your tetanus is up to date.

Also, a pox on anyone who flings his door open into traffic.
Old 01-26-13, 11:15 AM

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
got drenched today coming in; it was fantastic. Nothing like a little pre-dawn rain and warm temps. It was a great test for my new Ortlieb Sport Packers; eveything in my panniers stayed dry. It's supposed to clear up before the ride home; we shall see.
Old 01-26-13, 11:28 AM
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
just an inch of snow last night, yet everythings a skating rink out there

nowhere to go but my chair today
Old 01-28-13, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back from two weeks vacation...and right into icy rain! Not so bad really. Just got suited up in all my full rain gear.
Old 01-28-13, 06:35 AM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdoff
Here's a new one for me:

I know the guy, and figure he either 1) didn't see me, or 2) recognized me and decided to go for it.
Probably had his head down looking at the little hill the machine was climbing. Probably made you both have a good laugh!
Old 01-28-13, 06:37 AM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs

It's fine in the morning, because my bike is clean then, but it always accumulates a bunch of grime during the am commute and squeaks like a pack of rats on the way home. I tried wiping it off with a wet paper towel before departing today, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?
What about carrying one of the very small WD40 cans and give it just enough to quiet it down?
Old 01-28-13, 06:39 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hapul

It's on your left leg - do they drive on the left side of the road where you are, or were you on a one way street?
Old 01-28-13, 06:44 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Took a new bus route today and it is very convenient. Rode the folder through the woods for a few minutes to the bus stop, folded the bike, and hopped on. Unfold downtown and at work in 2 minutes. Will ride the full way (7.2 miles) home.

The weather is unseasonably warm, with this morning at 63 degrees F. Looks like 80 today and 82 tomorrow, but a cold "snap" coming next week at highs in the upper 60's. I prefer the normal weather this time of year, which is about 10 degrees colder than what we are experiencing.
Old 01-28-13, 07:57 AM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Warm and wet. Temp was about 35 and I ended up overdressed. Very foggy/misty. I opted to use the bike path by the highway vs the path through the woods just for the extra light. Enjoying being back on my bike.
Old 01-28-13, 08:16 AM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-11 celcius this morning, quite warm compared to last week -32 celcius. Nice ride in. I've been called 'crazy' twice this morning, the first time by an unknown cager and the second time by a coworker when I got to work. I look at their pale, green faces, their lack of energy and fat surplus and wonder who's crazy? Really?
Old 01-28-13, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It was the most comfortable commute in a while - at 40° I finished up in shorts and t-shirt. I eliminated a strong updraft breeze in the bike's front this weekend, after reverting most of the design on my streamliner to an earlier design. Now there is no interior airflow except a shallow breeze up from the pedals, and my aero efficiency seems to be back to what it was on the last iteration. I'm not sure how I'm going to improve the aerodynamics without modifying the bike or using more expensive materials and fabrication.

This should at least keep me comfortable now for considerably lower temperatures but now I'll probably need to rig a vent somehow for the 60-70° expected later this week!
Old 01-28-13, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs

Any ideas?
ever tried this stuff, https://boeshield.com/features-benefits/bicycles? It's pricey but you don't need much and it lasts a long time
Old 01-28-13, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best (and longest) so far this year. It was just under 50F, overcast but not raining.
I had to contend with some wind but only in brief, infrequent gusts.
I hopped off the MTA earlier for an additional 6 miles or so this morning. It really felt good.

Last edited by FenderTL5; 01-28-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-13, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
47F and raining when I left this morning - supposed to get over 50F this afternoon. Wicked headwind (hope it's still there for the ride home) and I felt naked wearing so little clothing. This is one of those weeks where work is messing with my riding - today and Friday are the only days that will I can ride... pesky job
Old 01-28-13, 10:45 AM
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running late, I had to throw the bike in the station wagon and drive and park and coast in.

Oh well, maybe a lunchtime ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.