Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some Studded tires for my son

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have a Pair of IRC snow mad's for Winter riding . the 266 studs make for some great fun on fronzen ponds and other icy surfaces Well a couple weeks ago my son said he wanted to ride on a pond with me. But Hew would need tires for this and Studded tires are expensive and after seeing this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/84613-made-me-some-snow-tires.html I decided to make him a set .

First I needed a set of old tires , well what a perfect candidtae ! an old set of IRC blizzards that I bought 15 years ago , but retired when I relized the 56 studs in them ( way too few ) we worn down to Knubs , I guess the years of commuting on them did them in. so I take them and what is funny is there were only 56 studs in these tires but every knob was set up to be able to accept a stud had they put them in.

so I took My handy power drill and drilled a small hole inb each of the outer most studs and from the in side screwed in 112 1/2 inch self tapping screw through, then took an old inner tube to line it and here they are !

now if only we could find a clear pond we could use them , But we will before winter is over !

you can still see the orignal studs in the center pattern

Old 02-03-05, 07:19 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You did a nice job. Well done, i know guys who used to make their own studded tires, i dont bother as i dont do anything besides road come winter.
Old 02-03-05, 08:41 PM
PCS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh, those look pretty cool......are the points really sharp? I've ripped several small holes in my clothes thanks to my tires, not fun. Hope they work out!
Old 02-04-05, 12:32 AM
Knowen as "Crazy Bike"

Bikes: Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOOT BLIZARDS i have blizards on my bike now... new acors not homemade.