Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

to kickstand or not?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

to kickstand or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 08:48 PM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All mine have kick stands, would be lost with out them plus they came with the bikes.
Old 01-12-13, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ikaika777
When I was a kid in the 70’s you were considered a goof or a nerd if you used a kickstand. When we got new BMX bikes the first thing we do is take off the kickstand and all reflectors ( reflectors were nerdy too ). Now, as an adult I require a kickstand and reflectors and lights. It’s nice to mature.
Ha ha, so true!
Old 01-29-13, 10:23 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a love-hate relationship with stands. Centerstands tend to be the most stable, tend to come lose regularly, can touch in hard cornering, and aren't suitable for CF or light aluminum frames without specialized mounting interfaces.

Rear mount stands aren't stable enough when used with a kiddie carrier, or front panniers.

The most reasonable stands that work well and don't mark paint or damage tubing are the ones that are manufactured for specific bicycles and have mounting lugs incorporated into the frames. Giant does that on some models - but not across the board.

And even those ones aren't any better for kiddie carriers and loaded touring than any others.
Old 01-30-13, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If your old enough to remember flik-stand, your old enough to do whatever you want with your bike.
BTW, I had a flik-stand too
Old 01-30-13, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
I have a love-hate relationship with stands. Centerstands tend to be the most stable, tend to come lose regularly, can touch in hard cornering, and aren't suitable for CF or light aluminum frames without specialized mounting interfaces.

Rear mount stands aren't stable enough when used with a kiddie carrier, or front panniers.

The most reasonable stands that work well and don't mark paint or damage tubing are the ones that are manufactured for specific bicycles and have mounting lugs incorporated into the frames. Giant does that on some models - but not across the board.

And even those ones aren't any better for kiddie carriers and loaded touring than any others.
The Click-Stand has a "loaded touring" model with a fater tubing and a fater, larger rubber foot! The site has lot's of photo's of loaded touring machines and tandems. NOW, he does state, NOT to Use for loading KIDS into carriers!!

Old 01-30-13, 08:18 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Put a kickstand on it, they are very practical.
Old 02-03-13, 05:36 PM

Bikes: 2009 Salsa Pistola | 2010 Stop Cycles Proletariat | 2010 Novara Buzz | 2002 Jamis Dakar Comp | 2007 Giant Revive | 1999 Kona Jake The Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a commuter, a kickstand is a must, in my opinion. It's feel sorry for the poor guys (typically roadies) that have to support their bikes, standing in one position for 20 minutes to hold their place in line. Here is my Pletscher double kickstand. I was surprised how light it was. Just a little heavier than a single. Nice for loading the pannier:

Old 02-18-13, 10:02 PM

Bikes: 2012 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put a kickstand on my giant roam 1. i was tired of placing it on the ground or always looking for a spot to lean it on.
Old 02-24-13, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
I'm thinking of getting one of those double kick stands that support the bike with it straight up rather than leaned over, like a center stand on a motorcycle
Got a $28 retail centerstand on my Trek DS 8.6 that is already heavy.
Like it, bike stores tight to the wall, makes tire inspection, chain clean & lube easy but is not uber stable for loading the bike with grocery shopping, just gotta use care.

I do not hear the centerstand bounce when hitting bumps like the sideststand(clamps to seat/chain stays type) that is on my Specialized HT. But the sidestand is more stable loading the rack up w/50# of shopping. (car free here)
Old 02-24-13, 10:01 AM

One use for the kickstand that makes it "worth the weight" is IF you use a "utility or kid" trailer, man it's a RPIA to try to hook up a trailer to a bike without a kickstand, jmho, ymmv!!!

Old 02-24-13, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Well the UpStands are in and on the new bikes. Today will be test but they good pretty good so far. I put the tabs on both the hybrids and the mtn bikes. Each UpStand comes with two tabs which is a great deal. Light, easy to pack, no real additional parts on the bike, made of carbon fibre so and the best part..... made in the good old USA. Here are a couple of shots in the drive.

I like that! Gotta CF bike headed my way and will prolly buy one... + it comes w/2 tabs. Kewl.

Something i was offered as advice a long time ago. Use a small bungie to hold the rear brake lever on, that way there is less chance of roll-off.
Old 02-24-13, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by pursuance
I like that! Gotta CF bike headed my way and will prolly buy one... + it comes w/2 tabs. Kewl.

Something i was offered as advice a long time ago. Use a small bungie to hold the rear brake lever on, that way there is less chance of roll-off.
I use these "Brake-Bands" (scroll down) by Click Stand even on my utility bike with a "chain stay stand" so it won't roll foreward. https://www.click-stand.com/Products___Ordering.html

Old 02-24-13, 08:19 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
The Click-Stand has a "loaded touring" model with a fater tubing and a fater, larger rubber foot! The site has lot's of photo's of loaded touring machines and tandems. NOW, he does state, NOT to Use for loading KIDS into carriers!!
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have a look!
Old 02-24-13, 09:14 PM

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
Would be really hard to take pictures like this without a kickstand

or my old cruiser,

I used to sneer at kickstands and would have never put one on my bikes when I was younger. found them really handy on my 'fest bike' that I bring to a 5 day camp-out music festival twice a year, and before I knew it, I was putting them on all our bikes (except my old roadie, which I don't ride anymore anyways).

fwiw, the red one above was my old festival bike, and the blue one is my new hybrid which doubles as my current fest special...
I know this off topic, but really like the way you have set up your Bike. Looks awesome, (and as for the kickstand debate goes) they are practical, but really don't care for them..
Old 02-27-13, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely a kickstand! Why not? Your bike has two wheels and cannot stand on it's own so by having a kickstand your bike can stand up on it's own and it doesn't get scratched and scraped.
Old 02-27-13, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my wife and I picked up our bikes at the store we ordered them from they asked if we wanted one and I said no, she said yes. After 2 weeks of seeing how much more convenient it is for her to have one I am going to go get one today. So I say yes lol.
Old 02-28-13, 05:10 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one on my Trek DS and love it. But then that is a utility bike with fenders, rack, trunkw/ panniers, pump, lights, etc... So the weight of the stand is not a factor. The thing already goes over 40Lb with a couple water bottles and stuff in the trunk.

And, in addition, it has hydraulic brakes -- so I do not want to lay it down (any air in the cylinders could move and cause problems).

But, my Cannondale road bike and LeMond cyclocross do not. And I do not plan on putting one on. I want those bikes to stay light...
Old 02-28-13, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
But, my Cannondale road bike and LeMond cyclocross do not. And I do not plan on putting one on. I want those bikes to stay light...
That's the beauty of the upstand. The tab adds only 15 grams to the bike. Then the cf stand itself is only 25 grams. So the total is quite low for the convenience factor..
Old 03-09-13, 09:51 PM

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I'm not riding my bike, I wish it had a kick stand.
Old 03-10-13, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Fred bike needs one to keep the theme.
Dont have one on my road bike or my MTB, but the cruiser and the Fred bike would be amiss without the kickstand.
Old 03-12-13, 04:04 AM

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I love side stands I like a double leg Pletcher the best. They come in so handy when I get a flat in the poring down rain.
Old 05-11-13, 07:18 AM
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
i think kickstands are invaluable. the bike i bought a few months ago from craigslist didn't have one - i use it to commute. i called my parents and had them take the kickstand off my old bike i bought 15 years ago, and mail it to me.
definitely makes putting my trunk bag and panniers on a heck of a lot easier now. i also don't have to precariously lean it against my car after a ride, or find a tree or sign post randomly.
Old 05-11-13, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I had the double legged kickstand and it was good but I got tired of "lifting" the bike so I went to a chainstay kickstand on my utility hybrid so I can "easily" hook up my trailer. Now on my trekking/weekend bike, I've decided NOT to have a kickstand at all or I'll save up and get a "Clickstand", https://www.click-stand.com/ to use to load up panniners, when I get a chance to do some weekend touring next spring.
......,,,,,I find this quote curious ( I got tired of lifting the bike) ofcourse the next question is what was the frame made of ********** lead ???