Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Neoprene alternatives? Please help! (Cross-posted)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 04:24 AM
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neoprene alternatives? Please help! (Cross-posted)

Hey, guys -- just posted this in Foo, where it was suggested I cross-post here. I'd appreciate any and all help! The original post is here.

For the past 10 years, I've worn custom-made neoprene inserts in my prosthesis (I had a rotationplasty 23 years ago). Unfortunately, I've recently developed an allergy to neoprene and can't wear the leg for more than a few hours without a bad reaction -- even if I wear thick, non-irritating prosthetic socks. This reaction can be bad enough to put me in hospital, as I discovered in September.

Getting a new leg made without the need for an insert/boot isn't an option, since I just got a new leg last year and can't afford another new one right now. So: What can I use as a replacement for neoprene?

Ideally, I'm looking for something that is soft/cushiony, durable and washable -- three huge advantages of neoprene. Super-thick socks aren't an option, as they would restrict my range of motion. I need something that fits over just the foot and doesn't get in the way of bending my ankle. The boot I have now is made of neoprene that's a bit less than 1 cm thick.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-13, 07:57 PM

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
How thick does the insert need to be? The Ohio Willow Wood company can manufacture custom gel liners https://www.willowwoodco.com/products...stom/bk-design . Can your prosthetist do the measurements and order something custom manufactured for you? There are probably other manufacturers of gel liners who offer custom fabrication.
Old 01-26-13, 01:43 AM

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No experience with prosthetics, but if neoprene is out, do you react to other synthetic rubber compounds?

Many hypoallergenic devices are made with silicone rubber instead of neoprene, for example. It's available in sheets, castable compounds, etc.
Old 01-26-13, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must be missing something? Is there a reason that you can't get this from your prosthetist? Cost? I'd say the gel liner (not neoprene) similar to what an AKA wears under their socket would be the right material. Is your location correct under your avatar? Shanghai?