Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Continental City Ride Cross/Hybrid Bicycle Tire-VS-Continental Touring Plus Reflex Ci

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Continental City Ride Cross/Hybrid Bicycle Tire-VS-Continental Touring Plus Reflex Ci

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 07:38 PM

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 2, 2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Anyone have experience with these tires, which ones better? I’ll be getting it in 700x32. I only ride urban streets and I ride 300-400 miles a month and I'm a clydesdale.

Last edited by ikaika777; 01-16-13 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also look at them. Research tires for an upgrade for awhile. After reading about tires on Sheldon Browns site went with slicks for the road.

https://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Tread for on-road useBicycle tires for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tires are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all!
Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tire will be slippery, so this type of tire is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tire makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tires, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you'll see that the texture of the road itself is much "knobbier" than the tread features of a good-quality road tire. Since the tire is flexible, even a slick tire deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while in contact with the road.
People ask, "But don't slick tires get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?" The answer is, yes, they do. So do tires with tread. All tires are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this.
Old 01-16-13, 06:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with 'njsteve'.

If you're only riding urban streets, go with slicks. They roll a lot better than anything with treads, therefore, making them more efficient since you don't have to work as hard to pedal.

Right now I'm using the Continental Sport Contact Road tire(700x32) on my cross/winter-training bike. It's an awesome tire.

If you're interested in it, though, I recommend going with 700X37. The 700x32 is more like 700x28.86. So I'm assuming the 37mm will be closer to 32.

Sorry I didn't answer your question.
Old 01-16-13, 07:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this today while lurking and decided to join the forum so that I could participate in you question. I started riding a bike in mid-March, 2012. I had an old Fuji bike and put Continental Comfort Contacts on it (26x1.50). I then bought a TREK FX 7.4 and after 650 miles, put Continental Gatorskins on it (700x32C). I have now put 1,300 miles on these. I would like to highly recommended them for your consideration. You will find them on the Continental Bicycle Tire site under Race tires. I think they are a tad bit more than the City series you are considering, but I subscribe to the adage of "the first cost is the least cost." I paid about a $30.00 premium, in total, over what a lesser tire would cost and I purchased the Continental intertubes for them as well (more money well spent). They also carry a pressure rating of 102 pounds and will use Schrader valves. I really think that they make a huge difference. I am happy to answer any questions that you might have. I love mine. Good luck.
Old 01-17-13, 06:26 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As you're a Clydesdale,you might want to consider Vittoria Randonneurs,which have a good rep for wearing a long time. I've used them on many of my bikes;they handle great,ride well,and I've never flatted them. They also usually come with reflective sidewalls,and the 32's are available in folding bead('Pro' model) which shaves weight.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-18-13, 04:22 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You might also give some consideration to Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. An awesome tire, even if it is a little expensive. Then, pump 'em up to max. You will like them....
Old 01-18-13, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was about to ask a tire question and thought I'd add to this conversation. I'm about to order new tires for my Cannondale Quick 4. It came with 700x32 Kenda Kwik Trax and I have about 950 miles on them now. I've been running tire liners in them since 250 miles. I had 3 flats within that first 250 which prompted the tire liners and haven't had a flat since adding the liners. My front tire still has plenty of tread but the back shows a lot of wear and I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade both tires. I ride strictly pavement in an urban environment, commute to work and few days a week, and ride mainly for fitness.

I've got my eye on 3 tires. I plan on sticking with a 700 x 32.

Continental Super Sport Contact. $34 each for regular. $40 each for reflective.
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Co...eywords=700x32

Continental Gatorskins. $50 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Ga...rds=Gatorskins

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS. $60 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...eywords=700x32

I think all will be an upgrade but which do you think offers the best mix of protection/speed(less rolling resistance)? Do you think I should still run liners? Also, do you think it is worth the $6 per tire on the contacts to get reflective sidewalls?

Part of me thinks just get the $34 contacts and be done with it for $68 total but the other part if me thinks I should get the best I can get within reason (around $100). Any thoughts or input about any of this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-13, 06:47 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^For those tires,I'd go with the Supremes if you're willing to spend the dosh,otherwise I'd go for the Contacts. Reflective sidewalls are nice;Conti is pretty much the only manufacturer that makes you spend extra for them,pretty much because few US sellers carry them.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-19-13, 08:05 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Keep in mind a little bit of tread is good if you have sand etc. that accumulates in your lanes.
Smooth is great for CLEAN pavement.
Old 01-19-13, 09:46 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Those Continental City Ride look pretty good for 700x32. https://www.amazon.com/Continental-City-Cross-Hybrid-Bicycle/dp/B000NJ1PMA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_

So do the Kenda Kwick Tendrill https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Kwick-Te...=IUEKON02TDPOJ

And the Michelin City https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-700x3...I1RHUK88LAV4D9

So many decisions…

Last edited by ikaika777; 01-19-13 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-19-13, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. The amount of reviews on so many tires I've read and I still can't decide. What makes it hard for me is this. I want a durable tire that has low rolling resistance and that is light. However, the thought of buying an expensive tire and then getting a flat anyways would drive me crazy. To make matters worse, I also started considering a totally slick tire such as the Schwalbe Kojak.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Kojak...Schwalbe+kojak

Since I ride only when it's dry usually I think a slick would be fine. Also, these are light enough where I could add liners and still me lighter than most tires. I'd have to go up to 700x35 for these.

or go with the thickslicks. I'd have to go down to 700x28 for these.
https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-F010-0...ds=Thickslicks

For as much as an amateur as I am, it's ridiculous how much time it is taking me to decide.
Old 01-19-13, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I like the Continental Travel Contacts in 700x37. Favorite all around 700c tire ever, here.
Old 01-19-13, 12:11 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Then again, the Schwable Marathon Plus looks great too. https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...I1SWA52EIM15IF
Old 01-19-13, 01:18 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I used to get a flat ever 2.5 days, riding 40 miles a day.............. Since switching to the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, I have not had a flat in THREE YEARS! True! Yes, I have picked hitchikers out of the tire, but they never got thru.

They are very sure footed, and inspire confidence, look good, and ride very nicely. The reflex sidewall is very reflective. I also put Schwalbe tubes in them, and they seem to hold air better than any tire/tube I have ever used in my 67 year life.

My Supremes, a 40 on the rear for ride and capacity, and a 35 on the front for quicker steering, are awesome. I always have a new set waiting in the basement for when they need changing, just in case I have a hard time geting them. Mine are rated at 85PSI, and I pump them to 92PSI, because that's where they roll the best. I weigh 200#, and my bike is a Specialized Crosstrail, that came with 45s.

I'll never buy a different tire for this bike.

edit: that's a super price at Amazon. And I buy mine at Niagara anyway. Pull the trigger, before they are gone. I know I will. If you have room for a 32front, and a 38rear, you will love the combo of sizes. They usually measure exactly what they are labelled, sizewise.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...rathon+supreme

Last edited by Wanderer; 01-19-13 at 01:24 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 01-19-13, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I just pulled the trigger on two 700x32 marathon supremes from Amazon. One last question. I've seen people say they ordered different/new tubes with their new tires. Is this necessary? I'm running regular bontrager tubes and have a basic bell spare tube right now. But maybe it's a good idea to put brand spanking new tubes while I'm mounting the new tires. So, specific size/brand to further extend reliability with these tires?
Old 01-20-13, 04:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't bother with new tubes.

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I consider it a waste of money replacing your tubes when you replace your tires. You're then left with spare tubes that you'll call 'back-up' tubes, but then you'll replace your tires again and buy another set of tubes. That'll leave you with four "back-up" tubes.

Every time I replaced my tires I just leave the tubes. I've ridden thousands of miles on a set of tubes without serious punctures or blow outs. Once or twice I've had pinch flats. I patch the tube, and back in goes.

From my experience the tube will outlive the tire if you replace the tire when it's time to.
Old 01-22-13, 09:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marathon Supremes came in.

My tires came in today(thanks Amazon Prime) and thought I would post them here. 700x32 Marathon Supremes and I ended up sticking with my existing tubes for now. Just put them on and have only ridden around the block since it's a little late but they seem super smooth. Can't wait to go for a lengthy ride tomorrow. I must say that the reflective sidewall is pretty awesome on this tire. I used the camera's flash to show it off a little.

Here's a nice comparison shot with my old stock tire(Kenda Kwik Trax) still on the back. The reflective sidewall stands out just a tad.

No flash.

Flash.

Thanks for all the input guys. Also, sorry if I thread jacked but I thought it made more sense to post in a thread that was already discussing the topic rather than creating a new one.
Old 01-26-13, 11:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! I was wondering why you decided on a bike with flat bars instead of drops since you said you are riding on pavement only. Is it a shorter commute or you just feel safer upright? I'm trying to decide between a cyclocross with drop bars and something like what you have.
Old 01-27-13, 11:25 AM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joelpatrick
My tires came in today(thanks Amazon Prime) and thought I would post them here. 700x32 Marathon Supremes and I ended up sticking with my existing tubes for now. Just put them on and have only ridden around the block since it's a little late but they seem super smooth. Can't wait to go for a lengthy ride tomorrow. I must say that the reflective sidewall is pretty awesome on this tire. I used the camera's flash to show it off a little.

Here's a nice comparison shot with my old stock tire(Kenda Kwik Trax) still on the back. The reflective sidewall stands out just a tad.

No flash.

Flash.

Thanks for all the input guys. Also, sorry if I thread jacked but I thought it made more sense to post in a thread that was already discussing the topic rather than creating a new one.
Sweet ride! Nice looking tires. Post again when you go for a long ride. What is the PSI of the tires?
Old 01-27-13, 03:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went with a flat bar(riser bars really) because I ride in an area with rough streets. I don't feel that I needed to go as far as getting a mountain bike but feel a road bike with drops wouldn't last long. My commute is about 8 miles and I do feel safer more upright. I did a 20 mile ride yesterday and a 40 mile ride this morning around New Orleans. No flats or any issues. Satisfied with the tires so far. They definitely roll better than my stock tires and I think my average speed increased by about 1-1.5 mph. It was hard to tell with all the wind. The tires say max psi is 95. I'm running them at 90psi.

Here's the route of my 40 mile ride today.

On a side note, this put me over 1,000 miles on this bike.

Last edited by Joelpatrick; 01-27-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-27-13, 06:28 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Joel,
Thanks for all the info. How much did the tires cost? I'm glad you're loving your ride!
Old 01-27-13, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tires were $60 each shipped from Amazon. Free shipping and no tax.
Old 01-27-13, 09:22 PM

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joelpatrick
The tires were $60 each shipped from Amazon. Free shipping and no tax.
Wow, that's expensive.
Old 01-27-13, 09:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, it took me a while to convince myself to spend that kind of money. The reviews were just so good.
Old 01-27-13, 10:01 PM
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
did anyone mention the Randonneur Hyper tires? I think in 2013, they are called Voyager Hyper now. these are a folder 120tpi tire that comes in 700 x 32, 37 and I think 40. really supple sidewall, great ride, long wearing tread compound, light, and decent flat protection (the rando pros have thicker flat protection but weigh 100g more each).

I paid $50 each at my LBS for the reflective folding ones in 32c.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.