Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried the Aero Tech "century" shorts?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-13, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering about reviews. An extra cushy chamois seems like a bad idea for some reason, like an extra cushy seat, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-21-13, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Link?
Old 01-21-13, 07:10 AM
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am fairly certain a pair I have, have that pad in them.

This is subjective, I found a direct correlation between the amount of money I spend and the comfort of my shorts.

I search the internet almost weekly for the high dollar brands that go on sale for half off.

All am saying is I dont buy areoteck any more. They were not bad, just not as good as what I find elsewhere. Compared to nashbar however, they were GREAT. I would give them a 6 out of ten.
Old 01-21-13, 08:25 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I've got some AeroTech Top Shelf which are similar and am very pleased with them for both club rides and centuries +. They did a good job of putting the padding under the sit bones, providing friction relief where it was needed, and keeping the padding out of areas where you don't want it. The chamois are smooth and soft, dry quickly, and are very comfortable. Haven't had a single hot spot or saddle sore while using that pair and will likely buy another.
Old 01-21-13, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I prefer a thin lined tri short for rides of 50 miles or less. I think if I were to ride longer again I would switch back to a traditional thick liner. regardless of how well the liners work I still find that after the 1st 1/2 day it helps to air out down there and if I were to do a truly all-day event I might consider changing shorts 1/2 way through, maybe even a touch of lube

I found this link:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mececyshthpa.html

regardless of it's performance it could use some graphics for fun

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-21-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I've just been using Pearl Izumi shorts/bibs, but I'm looking at other options.
Old 01-22-13, 12:05 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recently bough a pair of the century shorts form aerotech. I have only used them maybe 5 rides so far. I would say that are a pretty good value imo. The fabric is fairly thick, comfort is good but as far as durability, still too new to tell.

I also have a few pair of falconi from lovetopeddaldotcom, not impressed with their shorts at all. First batch I bought years ago (2008?) were decent for the money. The last batch I bought (2011?) were not very good at all, quality took a dive imo.

Last Pearl Izumi Ultra Sensors I bought were $110 and were terrible as far as comfort. They really cheesed out on the size of the chamois and design compared to previous years.

So for $69, the Aerotech Century has felt pretty good in the comfort dept. The lower end model is not as good imo (top shelf model). Not too bad in the comfort dept but the material is thinner so if you're worried about showing some crack, I'd pass.

I think the century short is worth a try at $69. Much more than Lovetopedal and Pearl Izumi.
Old 01-22-13, 12:58 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Ultra sensors? They haven't made those for what, 5 years? Crikey! I actually have a pair and I love 'em, but they're not as supportive as they used to be. I've also finished the transition from shorts to bibs... I no longer care for shorts. Maybe if I lose another 30 lbs but I hate messing with the waist part of shorts. Blech.

I had some performance brand shorts and hated them. - $50 or so. Threw them out.
Peal Izumi Elite shorts are good but not much compression - $80 or so
Pearl Izumi P.R.O. have great support and if I had the bibs, I'd probably like them more. $100 or so for shorts, which is expensive IMO
Descente bibs - bought these just to try out bibs and I hated them when I got them. They were on sale and I got them for about $65 or so, but now I actually like them. chamois is a little thicker than all of my other shorts but they work well on the bike. Go figure. $65
Sugoi RSE bib- another expensive brand that works pretty well but the short legs are shorter than I like and they tend to ride up a bit. I do like them though. $90
Craft - forgot the model, but I got this on crazy sale from chain love and for $60 or so they're great.
Giordana Laser bib- these are my favorite pair. Excellent chamois (not too thick) and the material is super supportive of my quads. They were about $105 and I love 'em so much I bought a second set when chainlove had them on sale again.

Dang, that's a lot of shorts. The shorts only see the light of day when I go on a quick ride with one of my kids. Anything over 50 miles will feature the Giordana bibs these days although I've had that sugoi pair on an 80+ mile ride and the pearl izumi shorts on a couple 70+. The tricky part is finding a set that fits YOUR body - XL is not always XL. I hate shorts that move around, so a little too big might as well be way too big IMO. Even within the pearl izumi line, the PRO shorts fit more snugly than the elite shorts.

I also only buy shorts/bibs when they're on sale. I clearly don't need any urgently.
Old 01-22-13, 01:07 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I have one pair of Aerotech shorts, but I think they were a different model, as the Century short is pricier than what I have. They seem very nice, but sized a touch smaller than my other shorts, so I won't wear them as much until I drop a few more pounds.

Someone else mentioned hating the Nashbar shorts. Their Isolation and Tecumseh shorts are my favorites and their liner shorts use the same pad. I find all of them very comfortable.
Old 01-22-13, 01:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Ultra sensors? They haven't made those for what, 5 years? Crikey!
Yeah, $110 and price climbing 5 years ago.

I know many riders don't like gel shorts but there was a brand years ago when Supergo was around (well, taken over by Performance) called Trico. They had a $60 pair of shorts that were GREAT imo. I did countless 60-70 milers back to back weekends in comfort. Haven't seen them since Supergo, maybe on the net but don't really like ordering shorts clothes I can't try first.
Old 01-22-13, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peal Izumi Elite shorts are good but not much compression - $80 or so
That's pretty much all I've got. I find them a little "long" on me. (The primal sizing kit showed me what a better fit could be like.)

Sugoi RSE bib- another expensive brand that works pretty well but the short legs are shorter than I like and they tend to ride up a bit. I do like them though. $90
I have find Sugoi to run a bit smaller in sizing than other brands. Just my imagination?

Craft - forgot the model, but I got this on crazy sale from chain love and for $60 or so they're great.
I have two craft baselayers and I love them. I'm willing to give them a try. If I get small enough.

The problem I have with the fancier ones is euro-sizing. Rapha, for example, calls 38" a XXL.

My problem is that all the weight I have left is in my gut, and with the stretched out skin the way it hangs down...well, I'm a XL in jerseys and a XXL in bibs, if they're big enough. PI is big enough, but anything euro-sized is not (I assume). Or it would be a 3X.
Old 01-22-13, 03:31 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I think the sugoi size was normal but the inseam was shorter. The Giordana bibs are DEFINITELY tighter than any of the american brands I have. I'm probably between a L and an XL for some of the 'merkan brands of bibs but definitely a 2XL in jerseys unless it's a euro and then it's "size not available" . And then Pearl uses different size criteria for their different "lines" of clothes, which is annoying. At least it seems so.