Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips for Teenage solo bicycle touring.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips for Teenage solo bicycle touring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
There is a lot of good advise and comments given within this thread.
I also agree with "tom cotter" stating 'The times in which we live' and regarding the liability concerns...it's sad though...Like in most things, those that
adhere to society's rules suffer because of the 'blanket' rulings created to address those that don't, as well as the keenness of persons willing to sue others rather than accept their own responsibilities.
A big plus one on that Lew!!!!
Old 01-30-13, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A lot of campgrounds are expensive, noisy, detours. Most young people crossing the country are not plunking down 20-35 dollars a night. It is a good deal if you have 8 kids and 3 tents on the same site, it sucks for solo campers. You can find stealth sites anywhere at any time within a few hundred yards of most places. You have to look small for micro environments. Some areas do have park like settings that are vast and available, but it only takes a few feet to put up a tent, etc... and you do not need a lot of space.

One thing to do is to consider you own neighbourhood. Look it over in detail and figure out all the places you could sleep. Imagine a stealth entry, not setting up your tent and fireplace in the open at 3 pm.

People get all wound up about the law, and rightly. But there are probably lots of things we do that are not appreciated. Like stealth overstaying reading late at night in restaurants, or using their bathrooms for a sponge, bath. Loitering in city parks. Not to mention the moving violations. After you have been passed by the 3 thousandth person blabbing on their cellphone while driving, you may have a different view on things.
Old 02-01-13, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you a member of www.warmshowers.org? If you come through NW Arkansas, you could stay with us.

Kevin
Old 02-01-13, 12:01 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you didn't go the boy scout route, do a bunch of sub 24 hour weekend trips
to get the hang of camping , and packing.
Old 02-18-14, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Iguania, Bianchi Mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it's been a year since i started this thread. I'm proud to say that the trip for 2014 is still going to happen! It's surprising right? But it's really going to happen, first week of June and I will be off. The trip will be 60 days and starts in Northeast Ohio and ends in San Francisco.
I want to tell teens everywhere that adventures don't have to be put off for adulthood. Get out there and enjoy life. You only have one life and teens are perfectly capable of making mature decisions. If you work hard for your goal it can become true.
Old 02-18-14, 09:42 PM
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Good luck with the tour. I agree with others, you will need to carry an NOTORIZED letter saying you have permission from your parents. I guarantee you a local will call the cops "for your safety" because they think you are a runaway. Be prepared for that. Also don't accept any housing from a stranger period (although warmshowers maybe an exception if it is from a married couple and only those who have hosted several people before).
Old 02-23-14, 07:29 PM

Bikes: LHT, Giant Defy2, 83 Fuji Del Rey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
On balance, I would not do a blog while you are on the road, or you could write it day by day, then put it up later. I don't see the benefit to that kind of profile.
I disagree with this idea. Keep a journal (I see you already have a CGOAB page). It lets your friends and family know how you are doing, what you are seeing, and how you are handling things on the road. It's also a good way to meet people and maybe pick up a place to stay or a meal as you pass through places.

Make sure you have a phone and a back-up battery charger. It will be very important to keep your parents in the know about where you are and who you are with. Always text an address to your folks if you are staying at someone's house.

Originally Posted by MassiveD
While I think your plan to go to Cali sounds great, don't set yourself up for failure with overly ambitious plans. Take it one step at a time. Or not. 17 year olds do some awesome stuff in the outdoors. But touring is a day to day thing, a long tour is months, it isn't all equally fun, quality over quantity.
This is awesome advice, though. If you get bored, if you don't have enough company, don't be afraid to use alternative travel to either cover part of the route or return home. The adventure is not about finishing an itenerary, it's about what you learn about yourself and the world.

Have a great trip.
Old 02-23-14, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, this trip will earn you a PhD in human relations and self reliance. Not to mention the total fun you're gonna have. Join www.warmshowers.org and overnight with some of the hosts, your cycling peers.

By all means get that notarized letter just in case. Ride predictably and be highly visible. Give us a heads up and a link to your journal when you start.
Old 02-23-14, 08:51 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Remember to wash behind your ears young man!

Seriously one think that many youngster lack is a good street sense. Have you radar turned up extra high. If something looks a little hinky then pass it by.

Warmshowers has been mentioned. It's pros It is a place to stay and that is about it. Cons: Not well vetted. Couch Surfing: Very well vetted. Cons: it is much more social and nt really just a place to stay.
Old 05-02-14, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Iguania, Bianchi Mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey just a quick post up. I have the link to my CGOAB blog. Check it out
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/..._id=13768&v=3w
Old 05-02-14, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy cheste