Search
Notices
Hawaii and Pacific Islands Regional Forum Hawaii, Polynesia, Tahiti, etc.

Tantalus ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tantalus ride

Did my first ride around Tantalus this morning. It wasn't nearly as hard as I expected. The group from IT&B went at a "conversational" pace up hill (down was pretty fast). I never even started breathing real hard.

If you haven't done it because you think it'll be killer, go ahead and try it!

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...43017,0.084028
Old 01-22-13, 11:10 PM
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the greatest - I was up there this afternoon and the cardinals and shamas were tootling away and it just felt terrific. To be in Honolulu and not do this ride when you can is such a waste!
Old 01-25-13, 12:13 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howzit, Pobble! I *think* I saw you and the Mrs. last month when we wuz visiting da ohana, except I wuz going too fast on the tantalus hairpins to stop and say hi. It's great to see you guys out there on a very regular basis though. I think I even saw you guys out on a walk once time. Next time we're in town I'll drop a line, go for a ride, and rag on the state of our educational system.

Hey, so which way do you veterans of this ride like to do it, clockwise or counter? I find that I usually go up Tantalus and come down Round Top because that way you can get the long straight by the Manoa overlook for a free ride to 40+, but going the opposite way gives you a more technical descent, imo.
Old 01-25-13, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably wasn't me.. That is the only time I've rode a bike up there and it was with a small group. I do like the clockwise route myself though whether in car or bike.
Old 01-26-13, 02:49 AM

Bikes: Felt Z85 (2010)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think that Tantalus would be a good ride for practicing climbing? haven"t done much since I started biking (a few months ago) just not sure how steep the climb is. Oh and on another note, anyone know if there is a group I could ride with? Im 14 and the only person I know who likes rode biking also is my neighbor, and hes just recovering from a hernia.
Old 01-26-13, 03:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be great for climbing practice. If you've been biking a few months it shouldn't be too hard. Just start slow and progress to faster paces. Every Tuesday at 7 am there is a group ride starting at the corner of Makiki heights and Makiki dr by hanahaouli school.

Originally Posted by 100lbHustle
Do you think that Tantalus would be a good ride for practicing climbing? haven"t done much since I started biking (a few months ago) just not sure how steep the climb is. Oh and on another note, anyone know if there is a group I could ride with? Im 14 and the only person I know who likes rode biking also is my neighbor, and hes just recovering from a hernia.
Old 01-26-13, 11:11 AM
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Norman

Yeah, could have been us - and we do walk up to the Nature Center in the evening sometimes too. Let us know next time you're in town.

Agree that clockwise is the way to go. If you go up on the Round Top side, it gets pretty steep just before the top, i.e. when you're least ready for it. But most of the time we just go up the Tantalus side and come down the same way. Seems like lots of other folks do this too.

Anyway, they're currently (finally :-) resurfacing the bottom stretch on the Round Top side, so another reason to stay on the Tantalus just now.

cheers,
p.

Originally Posted by t4mv
Howzit, Pobble! I *think* I saw you and the Mrs. last month when we wuz visiting da ohana, except I wuz going too fast on the tantalus hairpins to stop and say hi. It's great to see you guys out there on a very regular basis though. I think I even saw you guys out on a walk once time. Next time we're in town I'll drop a line, go for a ride, and rag on the state of our educational system.

Hey, so which way do you veterans of this ride like to do it, clockwise or counter? I find that I usually go up Tantalus and come down Round Top because that way you can get the long straight by the Manoa overlook for a free ride to 40+, but going the opposite way gives you a more technical descent, imo.
Old 01-26-13, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol - i thought he mistyped robble =P
Old 01-26-13, 06:18 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 100lbHustle
Do you think that Tantalus would be a good ride for practicing climbing? ...
Well, as near as I can tell, riding hills is the most efficient way to get in shape (you'll learn this after you start working for a living, kid ), however, because I too have teenagers, I think you're in that sweet spot where you have boundless energy, and probably a pretty good power to weight ratio, so if you like hills start heading for those ridges. I think if you really want to amp it up just either up the pace or up the number of loops, plus you can tack on the the little climb in Puu Ualakaa park to add a little more elevation. If you're looking for a really nasty climb I hear Wilhelmina Ridge and the one out by Hawaii Kai are good challenges.

Joel & robble, I'm sure we'll all meet again before too long. That's the beauty of riding a loop, right?
Old 01-26-13, 06:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for a really nasty climb I hear Wilhelmina Ridge
It is even scarier in person.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
spaceout.gif (43 Bytes, 45 views)
Old 01-28-13, 12:54 AM

Bikes: Felt Z85 (2010)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just messed my Bike shorts D: ....well i guess i have to start climbing if i want to get better...
Old 02-02-13, 02:31 AM

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I drove up it a couple weeks ago to check it out. Imma gonna work on some smaller hills first, haha, but plan on doing it eventually.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-01-14 15.11.21.jpg (88.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-31-13, 04:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that I've gone up counter clockwise once I can say I definitely like going up clockwise more. When you go counter clockwise the last .5-.75 miles to the top is a fairly steep grind after you've used up a lot of energy getting to that point. Clockwise the last mile isn't too bad.