Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

STP countdown thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STP countdown thread

I don't post here much but I definately belong here, just starting my way down from a high of 247 lbs. I'm signing up for the STP this year, i've been wanting to do it for a while and finally my work schedule is such that I can make it. Probably. I'm trying to cut at least 20 pounds off between now and then and hopefully a little public shaming will help keep things rolling So i'll be posting up here regularly with whatever successes and failures I experience and hopefully i'll be ready come time to cross that start line.

so apparenty I am no good at posting photos from this tablet, so here is a link to my starting point: I'll fix it later.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
Old 01-23-13, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will love the STP.

When my friend and I did it back in the late 90's, we rode 150 miles (give or take) to Lonview, WA to stay the night and then did the other 50 miles to the finish the next day.

You will do great! Get those base miles up and dial in the nutrition.
Old 01-23-13, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im riding the STP this year also. Ive ridden the 200 miler twice; in 2010 and 2011. However, I want to drop 40lbs by July so I can ride, and not just 'survive', the distance.
Old 01-23-13, 05:55 PM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It was the STP that got me into cycling. I started training for it, I was a bit of a slacker when it came to the training. I tried the 200 mile one-day ride... I failed at mile 140 - I wasn't in shape and I was riding a relatively heavy touring bike. Tried again (still didn't train enough) and I made it... barely (200 miles is a long ride... even for the fittest of individuals.) The last time I did it in 2010, I just did a partial ride from Olympia to Portland... it was about 120 miles - it was the most enjoyable of the 3 experiences.

I'm not planning on doing it this year... and maybe never again (it's crossed off the bucket list) but I still enjoy riding with people that are training for it.

Good luck to you... it's never too early to get started with the training rides.
Old 01-23-13, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
It was the STP that got me into cycling. I started training for it, I was a bit of a slacker when it came to the training. I tried the 200 mile one-day ride... I failed at mile 140 - I wasn't in shape and I was riding a relatively heavy touring bike. Tried again (still didn't train enough) and I made it... barely (200 miles is a long ride... even for the fittest of individuals.) The last time I did it in 2010, I just did a partial ride from Olympia to Portland... it was about 120 miles - it was the most enjoyable of the 3 experiences.

I'm not planning on doing it this year... and maybe never again (it's crossed off the bucket list) but I still enjoy riding with people that are training for it.

Good luck to you... it's never too early to get started with the training rides.
You are a brave man! I took the Sat/Sun for both attempts. The first-day century wasnt too bad, its getting out of bed for the second century the next day that is the test.
Old 01-23-13, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
I'm signed up as well. It will be my second year and I am contemplating a one day ride. TheDave hope you have a plan on how you will lose the weight, it will help. If you have not already jump in the monthly goal thread it helps to motivate. You might also give some thought to the Redmond Flying Wheels ride as a training ride, for me it was a confidence booster.
Old 01-23-13, 10:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on incresing my distances and staying comfortable on the bike. I did a century last year that kicked my butt with the climbing but for the most part I was pretty good. Unfortunately I am extremely limited in where I can ride right now but I can still get distance in. I just have to ride a bunch of laps. Diet is the biggie, but I think i've got a plan for that. It's just how well I can stick to it thats the problem.
Old 01-24-13, 12:27 AM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
You are a brave man! I took the Sat/Sun for both attempts. The first-day century wasnt too bad, its getting out of bed for the second century the next day that is the test.
Yep, I don't know if I could have gotten back on a bike after the first day.
Old 01-24-13, 05:43 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding this year as well! I rode it last year for the first time. It was one of the big events that got me interested in cycling and forced me to train. I did 2 days last year with a group of friends. This year, I want to do it in 1 day, but my friends aren't interested in that and aren't willing to put in the training so I am going for 2 again. Last year we stopped in Vader on day 1, which was about 130 miles. I live in Chehalis which was at about mile 110. It worked out pretty good since we had a friend's wife pick us up and drive us home. I got to sleep in my own bed and in the morning we hitched a ride back to where we left off.

My butt hurt like crazy all of day 2 so I'm glad we put in the extra miles on day 1!
Old 01-24-13, 06:38 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982
I'm riding this year as well! I rode it last year for the first time. It was one of the big events that got me interested in cycling and forced me to train. I did 2 days last year with a group of friends. This year, I want to do it in 1 day, but my friends aren't interested in that and aren't willing to put in the training so I am going for 2 again. Last year we stopped in Vader on day 1, which was about 130 miles. I live in Chehalis which was at about mile 110. It worked out pretty good since we had a friend's wife pick us up and drive us home. I got to sleep in my own bed and in the morning we hitched a ride back to where we left off.

My butt hurt like crazy all of day 2 so I'm glad we put in the extra miles on day 1!
Great training option is to sign up for the monthly miles thread. I will see you ALL there!
Old 01-24-13, 08:00 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've been interested in this ride for years. I'd put it on the calendar for 2014, but I have to figure out what my capability is with the new hardware. Has anyone done this ride with artificial joints?

Old 01-24-13, 08:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil_B
I've been interested in this ride for years. I'd put it on the calendar for 2014, but I have to figure out what my capability is with the new hardware. Has anyone done this ride with artificial joints?
I can almost guarnetee it has been. It has been going on for a very long time with tons of riders every year. You will want to hammer it out in two, 100 mile days. It is pretty flat (at least when I did it) with the exception of the Rainer Bridge.

If you make it to Longview, I have family there that you might be able to stay with. That is 150 miles from the start (or it was when I did it)
Old 01-24-13, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
It is pretty flat (at least when I did it) with the exception of the Rainer Bridge.
Depends on your definition of 'flat'. If a rider has only trained for the ride on bike paths then he/she will struggle on the STP. The ride is 80% on actual roads with all that comes with that. There is a decent hill in Puyallup (40 miles in) and day two has a series of 'rollers' for 30 miles or so.Then you have the regular ups and downs of any road.
I was very glad I focused on hill-training because there was much more climbing than I expected. My Garmin put the climbing at around 5400ft - not much at all over 204 miles, but also not 'flat'.

STP DAY 1 - 2400ft climbing

STP DAY 2 - 3000ft climbing

Last edited by magohn; 01-24-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 09:58 AM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Whats STP?
Old 01-24-13, 10:26 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
Whats STP?
Fuel additive for the stock car crowd.

They may be referring to the Seattle to Portland double century though,
Old 01-24-13, 10:36 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on your definition of 'flat'. If a rider has only trained for the ride on bike paths then he/she will struggle on the STP. The ride is 80% on actual roads with all that comes with that. There is a decent hill in Puyallup (40 miles in) and day two has a series of 'rollers' for 30 miles or so.Then you have the regular ups and downs of any road.
I was very glad I focused on hill-training because there was much more climbing than I expected. My Garmin put the climbing at around 5400ft - not much at all over 204 miles, but also not 'flat'.

Lol, it was flat when I was 16 or at least what I remember of it.

The only major climb is Rainer Bridge as I remember. But I was young and not fat so it might be different now!
Old 01-24-13, 12:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Lol, it was flat when I was 16 ...
Aint that the truth - same here
Old 01-24-13, 02:15 PM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's that steep looking climb at about 45 miles in? That looks daunting to me. I climb Capitol Hill/First Hill every work day or school day, but that still looks tough.

I'm toying with the idea of doing the STP this year, but it's more likely I'll do it sometime in the next few years. It didn't appeal to me before last year. When I caught a little coverage of it on the local news and they mentioned that 10,000 riders were taking place my interest was piqued! I had no idea it was that it was that large. The thought of riding with that many other people sounds like quite the experience! I understand there are downsides with so many riders and it being so crowded and lots of them being new, rusty, or inconsiderate, but I'm thinking it is something I'd like to experience. It'd definitely be a two day thing for my slow, heavy self, but I think it'd be nice to camp with a bunch of other cyclists doing it. I tour a little bit anyway, so I think I might do it fully loaded for an overnighter.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 01-24-13 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Nevermind, found it!
Old 01-24-13, 02:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
What's that steep looking climb at about 45 miles in? That looks daunting to me. I climb Capitol Hill/First Hill every work day or school day, but that still looks tough.

I'm toying with the idea of doing the STP this year, but it's more likely I'll do it sometime in the next few years. It didn't appeal to me before last year. When I caught a little coverage of it on the local news and they mentioned that 10,000 riders were taking place my interest was piqued! I had no idea it was that it was that large. The thought of riding with that many other people sounds like quite the experience! I understand there are downsides with so many riders and it being so crowded and lots of them being new, rusty, or inconsiderate, but I'm thinking it is something I'd like to experience. It'd definitely be a two day thing for my slow, heavy self, but I think it'd be nice to camp with a bunch of other cyclists doing it. I tour a little bit anyway, so I think I might do it fully loaded for an overnighter.

One thing I'm having a oddly hard time finding is the cost of the event. How much is registration?
Its not that bad of a hill - its gets to about 6-8% grade for a mile or so. Its a fun ride. Im slow too and the amount of "On your Left's" was the only annoying part as everyone overtook me

Im a Cascade member and paid $95 for the ride, I believe. The ride is well supported with plenty of assistance and good food. More details here:

https://shop.cascade.org/content/events/stp

It sells out fast though!

Last edited by magohn; 01-24-13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sold out last year for non Cascade members in a couple of weeks. One of the friends I rode with couldn't get an official number. He just rode anyway. He just couldn't get any pictures since he had no number.
Old 01-24-13, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, we did it about 10 years ago. The second day was the rough one. Glad we did it, but wouldn't do it again. Way too many bikes at the stops in the Seattle area. Kind of scary when someone doesn't get unclipped in time, and bikes start tumbling around you.
Old 01-24-13, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarabelle
Yep, we did it about 10 years ago. The second day was the rough one. Glad we did it, but wouldn't do it again. Way too many bikes at the stops in the Seattle area. Kind of scary when someone doesn't get unclipped in time, and bikes start tumbling around you.
And dont forget some of the locals who despise the riders. In 2011, some kind soul was peppering the base of hills with thumbtacks.

It's quite an accomplishment to finish the route at all

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.../post_121.html

Last edited by magohn; 01-24-13 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 10:40 PM
Have Bike Will Travel...

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Expert 2010 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back for my 3rd shot at it. My first was 4 years ago at age 49, when I developed a nagging knee injury from over training. And there was last year when my work schedule changed and a home remodel took the better part of spring. So this year looks like the one. Plenty of free time to train and the family's backing me all the way. I'm signed up, hotel rooms are reserved, and a brand new Roubaix Expert followed me home today Now at age 53 I just need to stay healthy.
Old 01-28-13, 01:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did this ride last year with my wife. It was the second time I did the ride. The first day was really good. The second day seemed a little harder on the hills. It is really a fun ride. We also did the RSVP (Seattle to Vancouver, BC) which is a little shorter (180 miles), less people and very beautiful. We signed up for the RSVP this year but not the STP. Have a great ride, it is fun and see if you can join in some training rides with Cascade or Tacoma Wheelman's if you live south of Seattle.
Old 02-05-13, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First update, I am now signed up for the ride I am down 5 pounds so far and am getting a fair bit of riding in. I wish I could do some hill training but this place is flat as a pancake. I'm hoping to do a century prep ride by the end of the month, we'll see how that goes.

edit: and, as a bonus, my dad is planning on riding it with me. Good times

Last edited by thedave80; 02-05-13 at 05:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.