Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Exposure Six Pack Mk3 - anything better than this?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 11:46 PM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am looking for a very bright front light for my bike and have come across this, the Exposure Six-Pack Mk3.

It puts out 2000 lumens of light, in a fully self-contained unit, i.e., no extra cord and battery pack.

Is there anything out there that anyone is aware of that is better than this, or at least comparable (in terms of brightness). The main condition being that it be fully self-contained with no external battery pack. I just want something to mount on the handlebars and not have to worry about anything hanging off of it!

I'd most appreciative of any feedback!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Exposure Six Pack Mk3.jpg (33.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-24-13, 04:37 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Lupine markets some of their headlights in a 'flashlight' format. The same head as is used in their helmet lights is mounted to an enclosed battery pack to produce something with an appearance to that Exposure unit.

https://gretnabikes.com/flashlights.asp

Those are pricy but I doubt you'll wear them out and have the option of being repurposed later on if you want to convert them to a helmet light. The outputs are apparently close to whats being claimed.

Several other people here are using flashlights from places like DX. The beams seem to have a good output but the coverage has a 'hot spot' surrounded by a secondary area instead of a uniform beam. It depends what works for you.

Last edited by Burton; 01-24-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 07:28 PM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that Burton, that's helpful. From the link I can see these ones are pretty compareable, and price is in the same ballpark.

I am now more comfortable to go ahead with the Exposure one, thanks!
Old 01-24-13, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.intl-outdoor.com/blacksha...ght-p-662.html
https://www.intl-outdoor.com/dry-xml-...ght-p-215.html
https://www.intl-outdoor.com/nitecore...ght-p-602.html
https://www.intl-outdoor.com/roche-m1...ght-p-668.html
Old 01-25-13, 09:39 AM
OiS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
davidad, thank's for the extra links. I believe you get what you pay for, and most cheap things that come from China, are exactly that, cheap. Not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you providing the links, so thanks for that.
Old 01-25-13, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Don't discount these Chinese lights. Most of these are state-of-the-art. What they lack is a brand name. What do you think goes into a light anyway that would be "cheap". The LEDs are the same, the aircraft grade aluminum is the same, the batteries all come from either Japan or China, and you can buy whichever you think are best. What is "cheap" about them?

For 424GBP you can buy a lot of these Chinese lights, and replace them yearly as the technology changes.

Was your iMac/iPhone/whatever made in the USA?

(I'm not from China, I'm not Chinese. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I think China has too much of our money, and the US is going to pay for that in some way, sooner or later. But that doesn't change the fact that these are good lights.)
Old 01-26-13, 04:59 AM
OiS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zacster, I know, this is a little bit of a politically dangerous area, but, quite frankly, the Chinese generally do not have a great reputation for quality control, and I hate the mentality of "it's so cheap, when it breaks, buy another one", I'd much rather pay a premium for a quality product that will last.
Old 01-26-13, 06:01 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Don't discount these Chinese lights. Most of these are state-of-the-art. What they lack is a brand name. What do you think goes into a light anyway that would be "cheap". The LEDs are the same, the aircraft grade aluminum is the same, the batteries all come from either Japan or China, and you can buy whichever you think are best. What is "cheap" about them?

For 424GBP you can buy a lot of these Chinese lights, and replace them yearly as the technology changes.

Was your iMac/iPhone/whatever made in the USA?

(I'm not from China, I'm not Chinese. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. I think China has too much of our money, and the US is going to pay for that in some way, sooner or later. But that doesn't change the fact that these are good lights.)
+1

I am not from China, and I'm not Chinese either, but I agree 100% with your opinion. I can agree that some things are not for a person, but to come and blanket condemn them all because they are not for you, borders being chitty, hen-peck, snobby, and dam right stuck up.. .
Old 01-26-13, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by OiS
davidad, thank's for the extra links. I believe you get what you pay for, and most cheap things that come from China, are exactly that, cheap. Not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you providing the links, so thanks for that.
Almost all of the LED lights you see are made in China as well as the emitters themselves. This guy has a good rep with BLF folks.
Old 01-26-13, 09:26 PM
OiS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Almost all of the LED lights you see are made in China as well as the emitters themselves. This guy has a good rep with BLF folks.
I'm glad the experience has been good for a lot of people, and that is why maybe many people are fine to buy from there. By the same token, that is where I personally am coming from, I have had a number of bad experiences in getting things direct from China, so, once again, for me personally, no thanks. Hope that I don't still sound "chitty, hen-peck, snobby, and dam right stuck up"!
Old 01-27-13, 09:44 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OiS
I'm glad the experience has been good for a lot of people, and that is why maybe many people are fine to buy from there. By the same token, that is where I personally am coming from, I have had a number of bad experiences in getting things direct from China, so, once again, for me personally, no thanks. Hope that I don't still sound "chitty, hen-peck, snobby, and dam right stuck up"!
No, not now. But, maybe when you called almost everything from China cheap,you did!!

IMO, and most likely you didn't mean it that way, but it came across, like "my stuff is great, and that stuff from there is crap".. that was a broad generalization. On the other hand, I am crazy about my cheap lights, and I am a strong proponent of running "strong lights" on bicycles, plus I like to look cool too. For me, the lights from China work out nice, in performance and price. And I am not going to generalized the kind of lights you like and/or put them down.

Let us see your bike/light setup too, we might convert each other over to the other side!